Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thoughts on the skill system

I've played the Wizard and Barbarian so far, and I'm a little disappointed with the way skills and skill runes are unlocked along with attributes automatically increasing. I mean there were two main reasons that Diablo 2 had such immense replay value, for me anyways:

- Item and equipment looting. Knowing that a cool rare, set or unique item, or a rune or whatever could drop at any time. This aspect has remained intact I suppose although I have yet to see anything better than a magic item drop in the beta (may not be possible? Not sure). I'm also assuming socketables are no longer around, which is enormously unfortunate.

- Essentially unlimited ways to build your character. I mean sure, for PvP you had to go with specific builds and crap but if you were just doing it for fun or playing single player you could invest in whatever skills and attributes you wanted/needed and play the same character class dozens of different ways.

Having attributes increase automatically and skills progress in a linear fashion every single time you play the character will probably drain a lot of the replay value out of the game for me. I mean if you at least unlocked the skills linearly but then were able to invest in them to make them stronger, that'd be a vast improvement, but the only two ways to strengthen your skills are to get a better weapon (since they're all based on a % of weapon damage) and unlock skill runes for them... also linearly.

Without gems, runes and jewels to socket into gear, a lot of the equipment customization goes down the drain, leaving item looting as the only real motivation for playing the game a second time with the same character... not a huge motivation on it's own really.

I guess I've enjoyed the gameplay so far, I just don't really think I'll be able to enjoy it more than once with a given character class. Anybody else in the same boat or do most people actually enjoy having no control over how their character progresses?

Re: Thoughts on the skill system

I guess passive skills kind of fill the role of allocating attribute points. Still, I wish Blizz would have kept the stats points and changed them up a bit from D2 so that there wasn't just one clear cut way to put them (i.e. all vitality). They chose a streamlined and intuitive system instead of a more complex system with more depth - oh well..

BattleTag FireIceTalon-1265

Quote Originally Posted by Nysyarc View Post
    I've played the Wizard and Barbarian so far, and I'm a little disappointed with the way skills and skill runes are unlocked along with attributes automatically increasing. I mean there were two main reasons that Diablo 2 had such immense replay value, for me anyways:

- Item and equipment looting. Knowing that a cool rare, set or unique item, or a rune or whatever could drop at any time. This aspect has remained intact I suppose although I have yet to see anything better than a magic item drop in the beta (may not be possible? Not sure). I'm also assuming socketables are no longer around, which is enormously unfortunate.

- Essentially unlimited ways to build your character. I mean sure, for PvP you had to go with specific builds and crap but if you were just doing it for fun or playing single player you could invest in whatever skills and attributes you wanted/needed and play the same character class dozens of different ways.

Having attributes increase automatically and skills progress in a linear fashion every single time you play the character will probably drain a lot of the replay value out of the game for me. I mean if you at least unlocked the skills linearly but then were able to invest in them to make them stronger, that'd be a vast improvement, but the only two ways to strengthen your skills are to get a better weapon (since they're all based on a % of weapon damage) and unlock skill runes for them... also linearly.

Without gems, runes and jewels to socket into gear, a lot of the equipment customization goes down the drain, leaving item looting as the only real motivation for playing the game a second time with the same character... not a huge motivation on it's own really.

I guess I've enjoyed the gameplay so far, I just don't really think I'll be able to enjoy it more than once with a given character class. Anybody else in the same boat or do most people actually enjoy having no control over how their character progresses?
    Definitely like this skill system better than D2's, in almost every way possible. With D2, at least up until recently, you had to build your char right and if you didnt, you were basically SOL. Plus with D3, you get to use every skill in the game, so the amount of possible builds is almost endless. It is a simpler system, yet will allow for a larger range of style and game play in general i think.

Yellow items in Beta are indeed very rare, they will probably be more common in the final release.

I guess when you consider that you can choose what skills you have active that adds some customization. I can see the same kind of problem happening though because obviously they can't balance every skill perfectly. There are inevitably going to be builds that are seen as "the best" and people will emulate them. And that still doesn't add replay value for starting a new character, because you can customize your current character however you want so there's no need to ever start fresh... although I suppose even Diablo 2 removed that aspect with their latest patch and allowing you to re-spend all of your attributes/skills.

As far as having to build your character perfectly in D2, that was only for online PvP. I used to play single player and online with just a group of friends in private games and you could experiment with all kinds of builds. I imagine it's going to end up being similar for PvP in Diablo 3, there's no such thing as a video game that's perfectly balanced, so people will eventually find and abuse the best skill set-ups for each class.

There will be cookie cutter builds for sure, but at least there will be more of them. I don't think a lack of diversity is going to be an issue - you have 30 or so skills per class, plus all the different rune stone skills and stones that can be applied to them. On the Blizz forum, someone actually took the time out to do the math on the number of possible builds, and it was literally something like 3 trillion. Granted, most of those will probably not be viable, but it is likely you will see at least half a million really strong possible builds, which is just insane.

Besides even having a skill-system, this game is really much more similar to D1, which for me personally, is a good thing - love the dark atmosphere and huge mobs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FireIceTalon View Post
    There will be cookie cutter builds for sure, but at least there will be more of them. I don't think a lack of diversity is going to be an issue - you have 30 or so skills per class, plus all the different rune stone skills and stones that can be applied to them. On the Blizz forum, someone actually took the time out to do the math on the number of possible builds, and it was literally something like 3 trillion. Granted, most of those will probably not be viable, but it is likely you will see at least half a million really strong possible builds, which is just insane.

Besides even having a skill-system, this game is really much more similar to D1, which for me personally, is a good thing - love the dark atmosphere and huge mobs
    You don't understand a first thing about the word "build". The fact that you can choose skills at will does not constitute a "build". It's just customization at best. In fact, there is only ONE BUILD per class in D3. When you hit level 60, your build is done, then you can just customize it. In reality, there are NO BUILDS in D3. There is just customization.

Do you understand the difference between customizing your house and building your house? D2 = building your house. D3 = customizing your house.

Same ****, different pile. At any rate, D3 > D2. And that's final.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FireIceTalon View Post
    Same ****, different pile. At any rate, D3 > D2. And that's final.
    And that's final only for you dude. For me D2 >>> D3, forever.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hideo View Post
    You don't understand a first thing about the word "build". The fact that you can choose skills at will does not constitute a "build". It's just customization at best. In fact, there is only ONE BUILD per class in D3. When you hit level 60, your build is done, then you can just customize it. In reality, there are NO BUILDS in D3. There is just customization.

Do you understand the difference between customizing your house and building your house? D2 = building your house. D3 = customizing your house.
    I don't get it..it's not build because it's not permanent..?

Hideous is just a troll who can't live out of his D2 bubble, don't bother.

The new skill system is so diverse that it makes D2 skill tree look like a joke, then again D3 is made to be a huge improvement from D2.

Some people just can't accept that fact.