Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: Are you going to be moving on to Diablo 3?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, absolutely!

36 51.43%
  • Nope. D2 SPF Forever!

34 48.57%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: SPF's Thoughts on D3

Quote Originally Posted by TheReadMenace View Post
    Spoiler

OKAY. Here's my real response:

I'm trying really hard to look at D3 with an open mind. Yeah, there were a lot of announcements or game mechanics that I found controversial at one point. But... well, even writing what I did before, I'm attempting to look at D3 under its own merits. Action RPG, real-time battling, choice of character classes, random loot, multiple difficulties, you can play alone or with friends, and it's made by Blizzard. In my book, these are all good things.

Having been invited to the beta, I think the game feels fun. I've gotten all the classes up to the level cap of thirteen. Twice. And after doing so, even though the content is extremely limited, I keep going back to it because I just want to play it. That says volumes to me. If I'm determined to continue playing even if there's nothing substantial to accomplish, the game must be fun.

In comparison to D2, there are downsides. Many of which have been listed here. But I'll try and explain why I don't think any of them are personal deal breakers.

RMAH:
    Spoiler

Always online:
    Spoiler

Skills & stats:
    Spoiler

Freespecs:
    Spoiler

10 characters:
    Spoiler

Larger, yet still limited stash size:
    Spoiler

What else am I missing? Dunno anymore. I'm tired; should have been in bed more than an hour ago.

While I understand many of the concerns and issues people have brought up, I don't take them nearly as seriously as some folks do. If you consider online only / no weapon switch / RMAH / to ruin the whole experience, I get it but for my own reasons I don't agree. To whoever wrote something along the lines of "Blizz is forcing us to play how they want us to play," it's no different than any other game or developer. Every game has its own enforced rules: Super Mario Bros has a timer, momentum, and no back scrolling; Half-Life is about ammo/health management and allows for immediate quick saves; PacMan is based on collection and avoidance.

I have no doubt that D3 will be a good game. That's why I ordered the CE a week after it was announced. I've spent four years drooling or ranting over every news post, and I've never been that devoted to something so intangible. I might not like every system or requirement Blizz has set upon the game, and maybe I'd prefer more of the D2 way in a spot or two. But overall there's nothing about the game that makes me think it'll ruin the experience.

In which case, I am also entitled to mine. I simply stated what I think people's problem is. They don't like the fact that D2 has changed, and are looking for any reasons to support it. I too used to think like that. That is all.

BattleTag AskMe (EU primarily)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
    In which case, I am also entitled to mine. I simply stated what I think people's problem is. They don't like the fact that D2 has changed, and are looking for any reasons to support it. I too used to think like that. That is all.
    Of course you're entitled to your opinion, and if I came across as someone who's trying to squelch your voice that wasn't my intent. My apologies. Everyone's opinion about the game is valid.

But that's kind of what I was getting at: The purpose of this thread is to share our opinions on D3, not necessarily to debate or criticize people's someone else's opinions or personal point of view. It's one thing to say, "I disagree because I see it this way." It's another entirely to say, "Your problem is..." or "You're wrong because..."

Again, my apologies. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, nor am I attempting to antagonize or troll you. Let's just try and retain focus on D3 instead of our varying viewpoints. If there's any criticism, it should be about the game.

[offers olive branch of peace to Kitteh. And some catnip & a warm saucer of milk]

BattleTag Grisu-2156

@TRM and Smips: You're reviews are very well thought through and a great read! Wanted to leave work early, but got captured by your posts Thank you! I guess there isn't more to add from me - still I wanted to have the last word

Be bnet friends when D3 comes out???

BattleTag Smips-1492

Quote Originally Posted by Grisu View Post
    @TRM and Smips: You're reviews are very well thought through and a great read! Wanted to leave work early, but got captured by your posts Thank you! I guess there isn't more to add from me - still I wanted to have the last word

Thanks Grisu, glad you feel that way. Must admit that I was 5 beers in when I wrote it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Grisu View Post

Be bnet friends when D3 comes out???
    Totally. Any SPFer is welcome to add me. Suppose I should update my battletag on here, eh?

BattleTag Jcakes-6373

BTW just for all your information there is a mumble server for incgamers that has been set-up and there are a fair few of us SPFers on there already.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...rs-Clan/page19

Trollin', trollin', trollin'
    through the forums scrollin'
    Keep those comments flowin', DON'T HIDE!

IncGamers Member OldManFourFour's Avatar

Would love to be able to play it, but the fact that it is only playable online is a game breaker for me. I only play single player & since my internet connection is not dependable enough I can't justify spending the $60 bucks. Tried to download the beta this past weekend, to try it out, several times & was unsuccessful. So I am not even sure I could install the darn thing. Funny thing is I didn't have any trouble downloading the LOD client (other than it took a long time), go figure.

-OldMan44

Last edited by OldManFourFour; 25-04-2012 at 05:05. Reason: forgot to add some info

I've read through this thread, and I though I'd give my 2 cents. I personally really enjoyed playing the beta. I started with the barb and killed the SK. Then I proceeded in HC with the WD, monk, wizard and DH, in that order. The barb seemed the most powerful to me, while I had some problems with the DH. For the other classes, you can just slap on any weapon and increase your damage, but most of the DH's skills rely on ranged weapons, which didn't drop for me. I had to mule a rare one-handed crossbow, the only mule I had done.

Also, no deaths in the entire beta. My concern regarding HC and lag seemed unnecessary, as the only time I experienced lag was right after I started playing, while I only had around 40% downloaded. All the other times the game paused, and once I had 100% I rarely experienced any kind of delay. If this keeps up, I won't hesitate to keep on playing HC.

My only real concern with D3 is the early levels; as some people already pointed out, these might get very repetitive, as you always unlock the skills in the same order. Some other minor issues are the limited storage space and the character limit. For the former, I hope the achievement system at least keeps track of the sets/legendaries that you've found or owned. For the latter I simply hope they increase it to, say, 20.

Some tidbits:
    • Enhanced damage/defense doesn't seem to exist, and +damage of any kind is rather limited. I think that's a good thing, as these tend to be mandatory for a weapon to be good.
    • When killing the SK for the first time, it seems he always drops a rare weapon for the class you're playing.
    • The game has a very grim atmosphere! Though it cannot match D1's, I still think they did a great job.
    • Gold and the blacksmith are shared between characters. While very useful and convenient, it kinda ruins untwinked play. I hope you can create a character that is independent.

BattleTag AskMe (EU primarily)

A quick response to a couple of your bullet points:

- + damage seems to be rather limited, but then again the beta covers very early areas and only a fraction of the entire game. There's a vendor that sells rings, and with some luck one or both will have + 2-4 damage mods on them. At one point, equipping two of those on a pretty well kitted out Barbarian added twenty points to his cumulative damage. It made a strong character an unstoppable killing machine. Once we get past the SK in the retail version, I expect to see + damage mods quite frequently. It's all about how large a modifier it'll be that matters most, though.

- I'd heard recently that the SK drops a class-specific rare, but I don't think it's 100%. I did a run last night with a Monk, and the only rare I got were some pants. I'd say there's a good chance, not necessarily a guarantee.

- A new character that's got an empty stash, zero gold available, and untrained artisans? ...Nope. The only one you'll ever have is your very first character. They're intrinsically linked, for good or ill. HC is independent of SC, naturally, but that's the only separation you'll get. If one is desperate, you can always create a new character on a different realm. You'll be fighting potential lag, though.

IncGamers Member

I think its really interesting/funny that people would LOVE a shared stash system in D2, but that one being implemented in D3 is often seen as a negative in this thread!

(I do understand that it is the tournament style play that throws a spanner in the works)