Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: Are you going to be moving on to Diablo 3?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, absolutely!

36 51.43%
  • Nope. D2 SPF Forever!

34 48.57%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag TypeAskee-1109

SPF's Thoughts on D3

I was curious what you guys thought about the upcoming release of Diablo 3 and if you're all going to be jumping on board that bandwagon. I know that you're all relatively only playing single player, and I was curious if you see yourself sticking with that MO in D3 or if you are thinking about skipping it since it doesn't have single player only play (ie you have to be connected online).

Just curious what your take on this release was. I looked for another thread here, but I didn't want to post in the actual D3 forums, because I didn't want to know what they thought, but what the SPFer's actually thought. If this is still a bad place to put this, someone can delete/move it if they want... but I thought it was appropriate.

So how many of you are going to move over to the new one? And why are you? Aren't you?

BattleTag Grisu-2156

Re: SPF's Thoughts on D3

I will be playing D3 - I already preordered it (3 weeks ago) and am playing the open beta right now. It's a fun game as far as I can tell from the 2 hours of beta gameplay I had! I will be playing Single Player only/mostly though in D3, too. I'm just not used to rely on others I might try some MP with some of the guys from the SPF though - the battle.net friend list should make it easy to spot them when they are online.

I will still be playing D2 though - esp. when I don't have access to broadband or when the servers are down, but also when I feel like it. There was even the idea (I think TheReadMenace voiced it) to create a D3 SPF subsection here.

I was very annoyed by the online only thing at first (and still am to some degree), but I think, if I want to play the game (and I want!) I just have to cope with it. I'll be playing HC and avoid the auction house - AFAIK it's still not clear, if there's a RMAH for HC or only a gold auction house anyways, right?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag TypeAskee-1109

Honestly, as far as the auction house stuff goes, you could just not participate... and since you're playing mostly single player, it's not like it's going to affect you much at all.

I have been debating on getting it. I enjoyed Diablo 2 alot... but I also really enjoyed Torchlight and Torchlight 2's price point is much easier for my struggling student side of things to support. I don't know... very confusing honestly. I just haven't decided if I really want to take the plunge yet.

It's neat though that there are people planning on getting it, because one of the things that I'd want to do is play with the SPF tourneys and whatnot again.

IncGamers Member

*No true single player ( need connection all the time )
    *No ATMA/Gomule/way to stash items
    *You can only have 10 characters
    *RMAH bull**** instead of proper trading
    *Retarded skill systems
    *Cartoony graphics
    *no pvp ( this doesn't bother me, but still )

Yeah guess what. I'm not buying it.

BattleTag Grisu-2156

Concerning the RMAH: I did indeed plan to not participate at all. I just liked the thought, that if I play HC, there might not even be the possibility to get a $1000 character to "pwn"

TL was fun for a short time and worth the money, but it lacks the replayability (is that even a word???) D2 has. I'm excited about TL2, but I doubt it'll catch me longer than a few months. And I ordered D3 from british amzon and paid less than 40€ for it, so it's not that much more than TL2...

We will see how tournaments work out in D3 - haven't played enough in the beta to evaluate what problems might occur (esp. considering single pass).

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag TypeAskee-1109

And I ordered D3 from british amzon and paid less than 40€ for it, so it's not that much more than TL2...
    I can't tell you how jealous I am that you found it for that cheap... But Torchlight 2 is only 20$.

It will be interesting... from the beta, it looks like single pass will be weird, because things keep spawning. There's no 'cleared' zones from what it looks like. I'm sure someone will figure it out though.

*No ATMA/Gomule/way to stash items
    *You can only have 10 characters
    This is really going to screw with people, I think... especially as people literally have tens upon tens of characters for tournaments and the like. I guess it's going to come down to some sort of character management. Not sure how respeccing works, but I would think that you could have one of each class (6) and then four open slots for screwing around/tournaments... shouldn't be THAT bad.

The stash is probably the biggest thing... as it's going to destroy the whole grail thing that people do in D2.

For me D3 is not gonna happen. Just a matter of principal.

I refuse to let a company (in this case Blizzard) decide how and when to play. I would need an internet connection or i can't play. If there's any maintenance at the time i want to play, i can't. If they ever decide to shut down the server, i can't play at all. Same applies to Skyrim needing steam.

Both D3 and Skyrim were games i was looking forward to playing but as i said, i'm not gonna play them out of principal. I know they won't have sleepless nights because i don't buy it, but i feel i have to make a stand somewhere (and hopefully i'm not the only one). All that DRM crap is getting in the way of my playing experience and enjoyment and i want no part of it.
    This is also why i'm not gonna participate in the open beta.

Good thing is that i've got lots and lots of D2 projects i am doing or wanting to do, so unless this place dies out, i'll be sticking around for the foreseeable future.

BattleTag silo

I'll be playing it. The beta is nice, very cool but at the end of the day it's the same old D2 under the hood. If you squint and miss the cool effects, it doesn't feel much different

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag TypeAskee-1109

Good thing is that i've got lots and lots of D2 projects i am doing or wanting to do, so unless this place dies out, i'll be sticking around for the foreseeable future.
    That's another thing that will be interesting... to see if the D2 side of things dies when D3 comes out. It's an interesting time coming, for sure!

IncGamers Member

1) For those concerned about the RMAH, why not just don't use it? The SPTF scene is all about self-control anyway - not using hacks, not using item editors, not using unapproved mods. And it isn't as if real money trading doesn't exist in D2...

2) About the online-only concern, if you do not want to buy D3 just for that, you have VERY little new games you will be able to buy. Most games are now moving in the direction of online only gameplay.

3) ATMA/GoMule, why is this such a big concern? As far as i am concerned, these 2 programs are just addons used by players to keep the game fresh after 12 years. D2 was certainly not designed with item hoarding in mind. In fact, inventory management is a huge part of the game. Why should D3 be any different.

That said, i'm not getting D3 as i am far more interested in GW2 being released soon, and i have the time and money to only purchase one of the two.