Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    IncGamers Member

Re: Your D3 Beta Highlights and Lowlights?

High - the blizzard invitation wasnt a phishing-email! The second high was after creating a barbarian and entering the cemetary the first time. Came across a spot with where the screen was loaded with zombies, and then the screen exploded with body parts and corpse blood. By the time I left that spot, the ground was caked in blood. EEEPPPIIIIICCCCCC!!!

Low - When Blizzard starting "improving" the skill interface and introduced the skill stones as a place to swap our skills. IT was the worse mechanism ever which ultimately reduced our freedom to configure and hard-coded the interface from PC/Mac to consoles.

Happy with the beta experience and content. It was enough to experience the title, raise concerns and kept the plot concealed. A chance to experiment with higher end skills would have been a huge bonus. Hopefully we get that chance on the last day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Also, were you guys happy with the beta? With the amount of content in it, the amount of invites sent out, the amount of patches and changes, the duration, etc...

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by kyndig View Post

Lowlights for me was playing hardcore with every class and never feeling like I was in danger of dying.
    Pfft. Then try playing without armor, like the real Kyndig would :P

IncGamers Member

(played open weekend only)

Highs:

- Finding out that all the classes played well, and there were none that I actually disliked

- Confirming that the sound was excellent, both ambient and effects (though, some voices were awful)

- The tiny load times between areas (e.g. entering a home)

-Nice having a "Details" button

- Special events (not enough of them though)

-Mini-games were fun, rather than distracting (as I had feared they might be)

Lows:

- All the awful GUI decisions, console style skill panels, the word "Objectives" permanently jutting out over my play area, the flashing inventory button reminding me that I found loot in a loot game, etc.

- Stilted order at which the skills and runes were spoon fed to me; and knowing that it would be a great while before I got to play with some (rather than knowing that I might have a "chance" of finding one earlier).

-Finding that not all skills defaulted to "basic attack", when out of resource- partially game breaking, for me

- Random dungeons did not feel very random; though, I believe they said it would get better, as we progressed.

- Feeling that I needed to max out 5 characters in 2.5 days, with all the "server down" errors getting in my way (I made it)

- Stupid, cheesy banter, which annoys, rather than adds flavor

- Awful decision to register hits from mobs 30 feet away

- Targeting seems sometimes bugged; hit boxes are not consistent

- Feeling like I was being babysat the entire time

Indifferent:

-Still not sure if three tabs in the stash will be enough for up to 10 characters to share; however, having a shared stash was a welcome upgrade

-Graphics did not blow me away; okay, they didn't really impress me much at all, considering the dev team size and budget. D1 and D2 did not feel years behind the norm, the way that this does.

- After playing, the thought of being limited to six active skills at once no longer felt egregious.

- Don't love the idea of such drastically devalued whites

-Tried the gold AH once, forgot to check in on my single bid (though, in my defense, I had a very limited window to play), making me wonder if the AH interface (being somewhat out of game), will make it too much of a hassle to use

IncGamers Member

Highs- Been playing since patch 5 and I was happy to watch the game progress from an easy to smash through mindless kill fest into a more streamlined smoother more difficult game that it is now. Of course that is to be expected, but they made positive progressive huge changes. I always played a wizard to 13 and it was fun to watch the progression. I also liked how instead of getting a bunch of base skills, theyve spread it out and put the runes in between levels. I liked how they removed the nephalem/portal inventory items and added it to the UI/blacksmithing to slow the pace of gameplay. I liked the portraits added when you finish a quest

Lows- The nephalem cube and alter

Quote Originally Posted by SavalBork View Post
    Pfft. Then try playing without armor, like the real Kyndig would :P
    Good point, I never did do a naked run. Nice catch on the name.

Highlights : - Over the fence

Lowlights : - The moment blizzard patched it

BattleTag Sigh-1856

Highlights: Crafting, treasure goblins, the Skeleton King, champion monsters (such as 'eater of vegetables' ... sorry if that's not what they're called haha)

Lowlights: So easy, I didn't even use the keyboard for skills/potions most of the time, and only really had 2 encounters where I needed to use potions. But obviously this is a small percentage of the game, the very beginning of act 1, on normal difficulty. Just saying that the beta itself is really easy which is quite boring, regardless of what the game will be like past Skeleton King.

IncGamers Member

The high point: The open beta last weekend, when I played the game for about three hours.
    Expectations were low, I guess I should say. Blizz have spent their capital with me a few years ago and I will no longer support their business, but even so I've been little impressed with basically every single thing I had heard about D3, and the main reason I gave it a chance it is honestly so that I could be able to say I gave it a chance.

To the game's credit, I rather enjoyed it once I finally was able to play it. Made a Witch Doctor called Wanda, though I didn't feel that made a great deal of difference. Either way I got a well crafted if spectacularly predictable story. I liked having my intrepid exploring rewarded with bits of backstory like Leah's diary and that one guy's whose footsteps I traced on the way down to Leoric. Well, I liked it up until the point where it finished and I still found those shrines where books would drop, telling me I needn't have bothered being as clever or thorough as I was.

Still, a carefully crafted and well paced playing experience comparable to Portal. You know that part where you get the ability to shoot orange portals after like 17 levels? It was a tiny bit like that every time I leveled up. Always nice to get the new skills and runes. Though I never had to think for more than two seconds to decide which one to use.

I hit level 10 when I killed the boss, and just then the server shut down for several hours. Following which I played a Wizard to level 5, which leads me to:

The low point: Getting bored after three hours of playing and reinstalling D2.
    This is where you see the difference between a skillfully crafted, exquisitely paced story and a skillfully crafted, exquisitely paced, well written story. There's exactly one reason to play through the game more than a single time that I can see (to see what all the characters' different skills do), and it only pushes that number up to five, it's not a very compelling reason to begin with.

Yeah, the big blue actually found a way to disappoint me yet again. It's really impressive, in a sad way. Like you've got a drunken abusive dad and move to another city just to get away from him and you think you're free at last and then he shows up trying to borrow money to invest in a pyramid scheme. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Last edited by Amake; 29-04-2012 at 06:32.

IncGamers Member

Hi Guys, long time reader, just registered for a first post.
    Highlight would be just being able to play on the open beta for the first time after reading all the reviews and watching all the videos for the past 8 months.
    The low would be finding out about the open beta a bit too late, having only 2 hrs play time before catching a scheduled flight. Didn't really get a chance to soak it all in, just rushing to see some new skills on my Wizard. Now have to wait another 15 days to play again (+ the extra time penalty for being in Australia )