Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

IncGamers Member

Question Some miscellaneous questions...

*Sigh* It's that time again—the time when the semi-hardcoreish girl gamer sans any Diablo III beta access asks what are usually straight forward questions, and all the very nice and patient people at Inc. Gamers provide her with thoughtful and thorough answers sans any judgementalness or superiority. With that out of the way, here's what I'd like to know:

1. Global play. Assuming I'm not too concerned about the potential language barriers I may face on certain servers, and am solely interested in reducing any potential lag, how should I choose which server to play on? I like in Sydney, Australia, so is it in my best interest to use Blizzard's Asian servers because they'd be closer geographically?

2. Can one change what server they're on, and retain all their achievements, characters, and so on?

3. Perhaps the silliest question: you can actually, you know, delete characters to free up character slots for yourself, right? I intend to create two variants of each character right off the bat, just so I can use them all to avoid the shared stash getting cluttered with miscellaneous class-specific gear.

4. I have no real intention of using the RMAH, as I find it more rewarding to play rather than pay. Do those in the beta, and more familiar with online games in general, suspect that the gold-based auction house will see as much trading action as they real-money one?

5. Is the gold-based auction house also subject to a posting fee when attempting to sell an item via it? You can't really find any information on the gold-based auction house specifically.

Thanks again nice and friendly people...

1. US servers are better than Asian for Aussies frim all I've read here. Or at least as good with the bonus of an english speaking community.

2. No different server wont retain characters from elsewhere.

3. Yes you can delete characters

4. I fully expect to be able to find everything I might want, even top items eventually on the gold AH. When you consider the volume of people playing and the supposed high repair costs, people wilk want to sell items for gold.

5. Edit-thought you said RMAH.

Not sure if I noticed a gold deposit on the Beta gold-AH. Markets forum
    can tell you. There is certainly no real currency involved though.

Re: Some miscellaneous questions...

There shouldn't be a fee for the gold AH, that would seem a bit stupid to be honest. You never know these days though...

IncGamers Member

Thank you.

I assumed the posting fee was for both auction houses, to discourage players from just posting crap—"spraying and praying" so to speak. But then again, you can only have 10 items posted at once am I correct?

edit: Oh, one more thing. Items have an inherent gold value don't they? Will there be a market for selling items worth more than an in-game npc vendor would pay for?

GJ saying you're a girl. Thus ensuring more guys will reply!

Quote Originally Posted by SanjaV View Post
    I assumed the posting fee was for both auction houses, to discourage players from just posting crap—"spraying and praying" so to speak. But then again, you can only have 10 items posted at once am I correct?

edit: Oh, one more thing. Items have an inherent gold value don't they? Will there be a market for selling items worth more than an in-game npc vendor would pay for?
    With the AH largely automated, players posting junk auctions doesn't really matter. You don't search by user, and in fact you can't even see who posted which auction at all. You just search on the stuff posted, and buy it if you like it. Players will surely try to get above market value for commodities, but there also, you just see the aggregate auctions by item and price, and buy X amount of whatever you want, with that pulling from all available auctions. If someone lists their for way above the going rate, they'll just never sell it.

As for the inherent gold value... not really. NPC prices are very low in D3; you earn 99% of your gold picking it up or from quests. Items sell for literally less than a single gold stack you'll find while adventuring.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

BattleTag Mick-1457

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    As for the inherent gold value... not really. NPC prices are very low in D3; you earn 99% of your gold picking it up or from quests. Items sell for literally less than a single gold stack you'll find while adventuring.
    This is so true. If I were the King of Blizzard, I would have made it so you couldn't even sell items to vendor at all. I would have just removed the sale value of items completely from the game. It only adds confusion and adds no real benefit. In fact, when I'm standing in town and want to get rid of some junk in my inventory, I literally throw them on the group instead of taking the time to walk over to the vendor to sell them. I'm not the only person that does this.

IncGamers Member

Heh my thoughts exactly. I almost assumed the follow up would be: "Can i borrow someones beta access?"

I hope I've understood correctly.

I would imagine that there will be many items which will be worth more gold to other players than you will get from a vendor.

Lol I didn't even notice that bit as I just skipped to 1. assuming that was the start of the question. If I had read the intro I would probably l left the thread :thumbdown:

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

4) Gold can be traded for real money and there'll be a floating exchange rate. So that means Gold AH and RM AH both should have the same baseline, if you saw something that's cost really low in gold auction house but comparatively expensive in RMAH, then someone smart will buy gold from RMAH then use the gold to buy it from Gold AH, then resell = profit! Hence in the long run there shouldn't be many price difference between the two auction house

Same thing if you saw a gear with ridiculous gold price in GAH, but relatively cheap in RMAH. Then the smart thing to do is to sell your gold for real money then use that to buy the cheaper gear in RMAH.

And precisely due to that reason, Blizzard had said that there'll also be a fee for the gold auction house to balanced it out as they're essentially part of the same economy.

So the answer for question 4 is.... It doesn't matter, you can always sell gold and use that to buy from RMAH :P