Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    IncGamers Member

Re: Why Macros Will Be Necessary To Play A Monk

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    Click locking is indeed gone, but I think it's for the best. It trivialized targeting and it was partly to blame for D2's boring combat system.
    I'm still undecided on my opinion about click lock being gone, but I think my opinion is likely to be along the lines of it being a good change for PvP and a bad change for PvM. It didn't really trivialize targeting in PvM; aside from teleporting monsters nothing ever really did much to try to dodge so said targeting is trivial enough on its own. Having to keep your cursor still while targeting things isn't really combat depth, it's mostly just a nuisance. In the case of teleporting monsters, the obvious solution is to make teleport break click lock.

Also, D2's combat system is not boring, the emphasis is just on dodging rather than attacking. Jay might see that as a bad thing, but I certainly don't.

Skill cycling is still in though. You can hold down the hotkey for Frenzy for example and if you hit the key for Ground Stomp it will go off as soon as the current swing for Frenzy finishes. You'll start swinging again after GS finished, you won't have to lift your finger from Frenzy. This is very much like D2's system, where you could switch skills while you kept the mouse buttons pressed down. This new system requires one less keystroke to do this and it feels much more natural, at least to me.
    Ah, good to know, thanks.

IncGamers Member

i think combination strike as it is ; is not enough 8% dmg is not much, most of my builds only have 1 generator ; and id be better off with breath of heaven + guiding light 16% seems more appealing and useful ; and if i use Blazing wrath as rune for BoH than i gain 15% more dmg. to me this seems like a no brainer over any build which includes 2-3 generator.

i just think that combination Strike is utterly boring and does not change how you play. If i were to design a Passive which is worthy of the flavour text;

"Master Wughan was not merely the first to perfect the six techniques.
    His true accomplishment was in weaving them into a style all his own."

(btw. still funny how they mention 6 techniques despite the fact that they mutilated 2 of those 6 in Spirit Spender)

I would have a passive which works as follows:

whenever you use a Generator ; your next Generator generates 2 additional spirit and is executed 15% faster. this effect stacks as long as you dont use a generator with which you have earned one of the stacks.

so if you choose 3 generator and weave them together cleverly you can stack 3 of those buffs before the cycle is reset. if you have 4 you can stack it 4 times.

The problem wasn't just that you could easily lock onto teleporting targets. Like you've said, that could be solved by simply breaking the lock. The larger issue is that you could effortlessly follow your enemies movement. For example, locking onto a jumping Scavenger makes it trivial to keep attack one of them in a crowd. The same is true for fleeing enemies like the skeletal summoners (I really should learn their name), Imps and the Fallen. I really enjoy that I actually have to aim at one specific enemy if I want to kill it. This does add depth to the combat for me, since the movement patterns of the enemies will matter more.

As for D2's combat system, it's one of the things where I agree with Jay. It's really fun, but that doesn't mean that it can't be improved. I think D3 will do exceedingly well in this regard, for an ARPG.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    The problem wasn't just that you could easily lock onto teleporting targets. Like you've said, that could be solved by simply breaking the lock. The larger issue is that you could effortlessly follow your enemies movement. For example, locking onto a jumping Scavenger makes it trivial to keep attack one of them in a crowd. The same is true for fleeing enemies like the skeletal summoners (I really should learn their name), Imps and the Fallen. I really enjoy that I actually have to aim at one specific enemy if I want to kill it. This does add depth to the combat for me, since the movement patterns of the enemies will matter more.
    Forgot about scavengers, but leap could equally break the lock too. Fleeing, though, takes zero effort to follow if you even need to follow it at all; it's mostly just a straight line. Click lock isn't even the best for hitting things that are fleeing properly (eg, in PvP) as you're following movement rather than anticipating or controlling it like you should be.

As for D2's combat system, it's one of the things where I agree with Jay. It's really fun, but that doesn't mean that it can't be improved. I think D3 will do exceedingly well in this regard, for an ARPG.
    In the short time I've played the beta I didn't see D3's combat as an upgrade, just a sidegrade. We'll have to see what kind of monster AI and scripted events get added to see if it's anything more than that. (To clarify, I don't see this as a bad thing).

Diablo: IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Eric-2780

You folks might want to step away from any kind of macro using. Blizzard has been very clear on this. Use at you own risk...

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3...ithin-the-tos/

IncGamers Member

At least macros which has time delay are bannable.

Macros that press multiple keys at once don't really work well in d3, except perhaps ingame voice stuff. Warden might notice it as suspicious, but unsure if this would get you banned. Maybe ban because it might annoy people if you say stuff at the same time with your spammable ability.

Macro that remap a single key to different key shouldn't get you banned.

cant imagine needing a macro to play diablo. in fact i cant imagine needing a macro to play any game. in my day we actually played the game ourselves

IncGamers Member

First off, the only macro warden can defend against is pure software based macros i.e. hacks built with autoit.

However, if you use built in driver software such as with razer i don't think warden could distinguish it.

and macros are not hacks/cheats, they're part of cpu gaming. in counterstrike, everyone had macros/keybinds to buy all their guns/equipment/grenades at the beginning of the round. i don't see how this is any different.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMythe View Post
    You folks might want to step away from any kind of macro using. Blizzard has been very clear on this. Use at you own risk...

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3...ithin-the-tos/

you didn't read this article close enough.....

it says mouse clicks with a specific x,y coordinate. that's not a macro, that's an aimbot.

a macro is I click my left mouse and my computer sends a series of commands, i.e. pressing 1, 2, 3 (for a spirit combo)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyxtreme View Post
    you didn't read this article close enough.....

it says mouse clicks with a specific x,y coordinate. that's not a macro, that's an aimbot.

a macro is I click my left mouse and my computer sends a series of commands, i.e. pressing 1, 2, 3 (for a spirit combo)
    You didn't read the ToS close enough, so here's what it says:

You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

1. A. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the Service, any Game or any Game experience;

So unless Blizzard develops their own or approves another macro program, you'll just have to play the game regularly.. you know how it's meant to be played and stuff.