Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BattleTag Halfsoul-2361

So do you think the monk is a fun class?

As much as I love melee classes, the monk is IMO just disappointing and after watching the spotlight video it just got worse.

I honestly espected more umph now that we are so close to release date and less light effects, but the problems I have with the before-mentioned things would have been nothing, if blizzard desinged him to be interesting, which they really failed in doing. The skills are really really boring and the only interesting and fun skill he has is imo dashing strike.

Also what really bothers me(something I thought they would fix), is that this guy according to the video, is supposed to be a "master" of swords and other types of weapons, yet when he uses them, they are sheathed while he is hitting with his fists, but after he stops hitting they are up in his hand. How can he be a master of swords when he isnīt even using them in combat?

Summa summarum, although the monks are a part of the diablo universe(hellfire expansion),the class does indeed feel rushed and forced into diablo as if they wanted him to be there, maybe because blizzard are introducing their new class for wow, which is also a monk? I donīt know.

What do you guys think is the monk fun IYO or do you also feel itīs rushed and boring compared to the other classes?

Re: So do you think the monk is a fun class?

Yeah from spotlight video monk seems kinda bad, but i guess it's just a video. Blizzard does not know how to show characters in action - they always look crappy. But after you play monk in real game and try different runes I think you'll like it

IncGamers Member

Monk has turned out kinda disappointing, less than he could've been IMO, but I still think he's pretty darn cool. I like most of his skills and IMO he has the best set of Primary attacks, after maybe the WD.

BattleTag sanity-1134

Yea, that video makes it look worse then it is as unlike the barb video theres never more then a few monsters on screen. That said i think the monk will play fine but it might be my least favorite class.

HP/MP restored! But you're still hungry.

IncGamers Member

Really shallow design. Why? His abilities are basically all very similar to eachother. He doesn't seem to have those big kickass cooldowns either. Mantras are just auras, so that's 4 skills we can remove from the potential list of interesting stuff right off. Which sucks since he's got less skills than other classes off the bat.

I find the Monk incredibly fun to play - it's the video that doesn't do justice.

Cruddy editing makes combat look much slower-paced than it actually is.

He'll just hit once, wait a few seconds, and then cut to a different shot. It's really the editing and choice of shots, that's all. Blizzard did an awesome job with all the classes and it saddens me that all it takes is a poorly-made video to turn people off.

BattleTag Mick-1457

I have mixed feelings about the monk. After all the classes were revealed, it was my #1 choice for a long time, but he got downgraded over time as I played the beta and grew more interested in the other classes. I like the theme and style of the character, but when I play him, I can't completely shake the feeling that I'm playing the barbarian's little brother. Dashing strike is fun, but it's no leap. I'm fine with the spirit generators, but the spirit dumpers seem to lack the umph while sporting higher costs. The bell being 100 spirit was just ridiculous, and I don't think lowering it to 75 was enough for what it does.

Of course, this number balance stuff can be worked out, but when you see things that are this off, it gives you a pretty good indication which class gets least played by the developers.

BattleTag Halfsoul-2361

Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    I find the Monk incredibly fun to play - it's the video that doesn't do justice.
    Yeah, I also hope thatīs the case, because I really like some of the mechanics like auras and the fast paced combat style, but the skills compared the say the barb or WD, just seem boring as if they didnīt have enough time to complete their creative process and animations on him. Afterall he does have fewer skills and passives than the other classes have.

IncGamers Member

Monk does seem like the least developed class which is epitomized by the fact that he doesn't even have basic attack animations for most weapons (which in itself is utterly ridiculous considering D3's relative incomplexity in comparison to games like GW2 for instance which has brilliant animations for insane amounts of stuff). I think it's a fun class to play though, judging from the beta.

BattleTag Smips-1492

I just got into the Beta this weekend and played through with the WD and the Monk. Much to my surprise, I found the Monk to be a load of fun. I think I actually had more fun with the Monk than the WD.