Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Zoom Combat - a new way to play, and advantage vs. ranged monsters?

For those that are tired of the Beta and want to try another action packed way of playing,

http://www.diablo-guilds.com/profile...-combat-wizard

I bet some chars can really shine in this mode? Since monsters do not attack until they show on your screen, you will get very close to ranged monsters before they start to attack you, which I am sure can be used to your benefit somehow?

Re: Zoom Combat - a new way to play, and advantage vs. ranged monsters?

Any potential gains will be pale in comparison to the extra time it'll take to find elite groups. Might be useful in some very hard, tight spaces though, but at that point it's not about farming but simply getting forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooru View Post
    at that point it's not about farming but simply getting forward.
    Absolutely, can make it easier to squeeze by a group you don't want to engage, or a place where it is particularly bad to get stuck in a fight.

what even zoomed in they wont attack til you can see them? sounds like it could be an exploit to me

IncGamers Member

Definitely exploitable.

IncGamers Member

Wait, is there actually a serious indication that changing your FOV alters mob behavior?

If so, what the crap, Blizzard? Why are your mob AI scripts tied to a camera control? Does this make negative sense to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan E View Post
    Wait, is there actually a serious indication that changing your FOV alters mob behavior?

If so, what the crap, Blizzard? Why are your mob AI scripts tied to a camera control? Does this make negative sense to anyone else?
    It makes negative sense because in reality it probably isn't true.

I cannot fathom why someone would want to play like that. Even if the ai bit were true, you'd still be at a severe disadvantage, and it wouldn't even be a fun "challenge". But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    Even if the ai bit were true, you'd still be at a severe disadvantage, and it wouldn't even be a fun "challenge".
    It is not that simple.

If you play Melee character in an area where you know the majority of the monsters are ranged, you will clearly benefit from playing Zoom Combat style. You will be almost on top of the monsters before they can start to shoot at you.

If you play ranged Zoom Combat is never good for fighting.

The other main use will be to sneak by monsters to avoid getting stuck in a fight in an area badly suited for it.

I think Zoom Combat, if it works like we think now, has major potential to effect standard game play.

IncGamers Member

I'm at a loss why people would think this is intentional ,don't you question why it would be working that way?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mn_Swe2 View Post
    It is not that simple.

If you play Melee character in an area where you know the majority of the monsters are ranged, you will clearly benefit from playing Zoom Combat style. You will be almost on top of the monsters before they can start to shoot at you.

If you play ranged Zoom Combat is never good for fighting.

The other main use will be to sneak by monsters to avoid getting stuck in a fight in an area badly suited for it.

I think Zoom Combat, if it works like we think now, has major potential to effect standard game play.
    I think it would be quite useful for ranged attacks, assuming your attacks can hit targets off screen. You could kill off an archer pack without them having a chance to shoot at you. It could be viable as an overly-cautious hardcore style.

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if they tied mob AI to the camera intentionally. Getting attacked by things off your screen can be frustrating...but it can offer a significant challenge too (i.e. D1 Leoric).