Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: $1.25 RMAH item fee replaced with a 15% fee

I wonder how true this really is... You'd think the main cost would be the infrastructure and maintaining it (regardless of how much it gets used), rather than be mostly a per-transaction upkeep cost. While the latter might justify Blizzard's choices, it doesn't explain why they still allow gold and commodities to be traded with a 15% fee, with potentially very low-value transactions that supposedly won't pay off for them.

Awaiting user confirming email address

Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    I wonder how true this really is... You'd think the main cost would be the infrastructure and maintaining

it (regardless of how much it gets used), rather than be mostly a per-transaction upkeep cost. While the latter might justify Blizzard's choices, it doesn't explain why they still allow gold and commodities to be traded with a 15% fee, with potentially very low-value transactions that supposedly won't pay off for them.
    Because no one is going to pay $1.50 for 1000 gold or a hundread essence.

The situation in beta at the moment is gold can be listed for as little as 0.01 as long as the total sale value is least 1.00 beta buck.
    So for example, if you were selling 10,000 gold at 0.10 that would equal the minimum sale price of $1.00

Right now gold is selling 10,000 @ 0.07

BattleTag Azzure-1989

Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    While the latter might justify Blizzard's choices, it doesn't explain why they still allow gold and commodities to be traded with a 15% fee, with potentially very low-value transactions that supposedly won't pay off for them.
    I thought of that, but there actually is a reason - commodities and gold are pooled, which means the transaction "cost" to them may be lower. ie the stack goes in with an existing pool so when someone buys 50 at a time, they sell it as 1 bulk transaction.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enlil View Post
    Right now gold is selling 10,000 @ 0.07
    It's selling that low already on beta? I really don't have high hopes for live gold selling then...

If it falls to the floor of 1 cent per 1000, that means to hit even $4 an hour, I have to farm up about 400k gold an hour, which is about... 10 times as much gold as people are farming right now. It might be doable considering I think current numbers of like 35k an hour are being done with about 200% gold find, and 1000% should be possible, and higher difficulties will have higher drops but... I think I should be more worried that if the gold prices fall to the floor, people might start going to 3rd party sites to buy 10k gold for 5 cents (1 million gold for $5!) or something.

IncGamers Site Pal
    Diablo 3 Beta Tester
    BattleTag Bowzer -1925

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstream View Post
    It's selling that low already on beta? I really don't have high hopes for live gold selling then...
    10,000 gold is absolutely nothing.

Especially when you will be getting thousands of gold per drop in hell / inferno.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    10,000 gold is absolutely nothing.

Especially when you will be getting thousands of gold per drop in hell / inferno.
    Yeah, I realize (although thousands of gold per drop might be pushing it. There maybe be the occasional spike drop, but I doubt it'll be stacks of 1k gold, because iirc gold stacks stop sharply rising after a certain point in normal and then it goes up kind of slowly). I'm just worried that the prices will fall so low that the current system won't be able to support the prices people want to buy at.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstream View Post

If it falls to the floor of 1 cent per 1000, that means to hit even $4 an hour, I have to farm up about 400k gold an hour, which is about... 10 times as much gold as people are farming right now. It might be doable considering I think current numbers of like 35k an hour are being done with about 200% gold find, and 1000% should be possible, and higher difficulties will have higher drops but... I think I should be more worried that if the gold prices fall to the floor, people might start going to 3rd party sites to buy 10k gold for 5 cents (1 million gold for $5!) or something.
    Yep today you can buy 100k for 0.11 per unit.
    This is beta and can't be taken as a reflection of how the real market will be.
    Blizz will have to keep gold viable or the AH with be a failure and they don't want that.

I think gold will sell for between 0.05 and 0.10 per thousand in release, but we will not know anything until we see the live auction house.
    After all this thinking for months, I'll click the AH button before "start game" once I've installed just to see wtf is going on in the markets with gold and items, can't wait : ) Hopefully can sell my first 1k gold for $0.50 I'll be happy. Gold will be very high the first week but will soon fall as millions of gold are pumped into the market.

IncGamers Member

do not infer market behavior from the beta.

no one is pushing to maximize their crafter to max leve,l and the very small pool of affixes mean people hit perfect gear with startling regularity. no one is dealing with real money. beta bucks have no function aside from being spent and for a handful of people, accumulating as many as possible as a diversion. you all must be on a different server tan me, because the rate was ten beta backs per 1k gold when I checked last night, and I still didnt put any of my gold up at that rate.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

What is more interesting, is the changes to how you can list gold. You can now list it for less than $1.00, as long as you sell enough to be worth $1.00. Same for commodities. News post forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by jwfcp View Post
    do not infer market behavior from the beta.

no one is pushing to maximize their crafter to max leve,l and the very small pool of affixes mean people hit perfect gear with startling regularity. no one is dealing with real money. beta bucks have no function aside from being spent and for a handful of people, accumulating as many as possible as a diversion. you all must be on a different server tan me, because the rate was ten beta backs per 1k gold when I checked last night, and I still didnt put any of my gold up at that rate.
    You must be looking at the wrong number or something, today gold was selling for 1k @ 0.04.