Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skill damage - how does it work?

I have my barbarian and i use Hammer of the ancients. While i have two Journeyman Heavy Axes equipped. Now in the tool tip of the skill it says "[...] for 200% of your weapon damage [...]". this would have to mean that the skill will deal 20-34 damage (not considering armor, block, additional affixes and crit and so on).
    in another instance i would be carrying this Apprentice Flamberge. using this weapon HotA should deal 24-34 damage.

this is my first question: does the actual damage of the weapon or its dps matter when the skill dmg is being calculated? (i think and hope actual min/max damage)
    my second question: in the tooltips it explicitly says WEAPON damage. does this mean that the additional damage we receive from our armor pieces does not matter when we are you using skills? only the stats on the weapons matter?

i think that would be really retarded and i can't imagine blizz would do that. but in that case the tool tip is simply wrong. i actually don't have beta access and can test it out. so could someone please clarify for me?

BattleTag Mick-1457

Re: Skill damage - how does it work?

I believe that the actual damage is used in most cases, because the speed of the skill will be based off the speed of the weapon. I don't know if some skills will normalize the damage or not for cases where speed is not really a factor (for say, earthquake). If no normalization takes place, then some skills will be better using the slowest weapon possible.

Damage added by rings and off-hand will be factored in as if it were added directly to the weapons. I don't know if this is normalized or not. If it is not normalized, then bonus damage from rings and off-hands will be increased by using the fastest weapon possible.

Yeah, I also believe it's actual damage - that's why 2-handers can deal the most massive blows of damage, but at the cost of attack speed (same tradeoff when you're using a skill like Hammer of the Ancients).

Not too sure about the 2nd point although I'd say that +dmg effects from items count towards weapon damage.

Quote Originally Posted by remodemo View Post
    does the actual damage of the weapon or its dps matter when the skill dmg is being calculated?
    For skills like Hammer of the Ancients, each individual hit will deal weapon damage multiplied by the skill's stated damage. As your APS increases you'll hit faster. Keep in mind, that not all of these skills have the same base attack speed.

Channeled skills like Ray of Frost will deal the stated weapon damage over a cycle. The length of one cycle is 1 / APS. This means that the DPS of channeled skills is your DPS multiplied by skill damage. The mana cost of these skills is the stated cost per cycle.

DoT skills like Haunt will do weapon damage multiplied by skill damage over their duration. APS doesn't seem to affect these skills, other than their casting speed.

Quote Originally Posted by remodemo View Post
    in the tooltips it explicitly says WEAPON damage. does this mean that the additional damage we receive from our armor pieces does not matter when we are you using skills? only the stats on the weapons matter?
    Every bonus matters for skills. Basically, weapon damage means a normal attack.

Last edited by HardRock; 11-04-2012 at 15:47.

IncGamers Member

DoT skills like Haunt will do weapon damage multiplied by skill damage over their duration. APS doesn't seem to affect these skills.
    I am curious why are those skills so screwed? They are basically front loaded, once you get to the point where the best way to improve your damage output is attack speed and crit, they are gonna become almost completely worthless as damage skills.

To be honest, I'm not sure yet about the APS part for DoTs, but the last time I did tests against Leoric my damage was consistent with what I wrote in my previous post. However, my weapon at the time had close to 1 APS, so if damage reduction affected my damage then my conclusions are quite possibly flawed. Will do more tests today.

IncGamers Member

Can I reiterate again how much I hate tying weapon dmg to spells? :P So unintuitive!!

IncGamers Member

You know, for a system so dumbed down that the casual consoletardsnooblords can understand it, this thing has serious information transparency issues.

BattleTag Eeryck-1961

I believe that Blizzard has made it quite simple this time around (Hardrock can correct me if I have mistaken something) but if you look at your Character Screen dps that takes into account base DPS from weapon and all modifiers from armor. It also calculates bonus from your class stat into that number.

Then your skill average dps is the tooltip value times the character screen dps number.

The DPS number on your character screen is a good measure of how your DPS with skills changes as you equip different weapons, except for skills with cooldowns and possibly for DoTs. I would still like to see my total weapon damage though, because sometimes hitting hard is more important than DPS.