Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Inferno and hardcore mode

Seems to me that they have tuned inferno to be so over the top that random deaths will be unavoidable even if you build the perfect defensive character, so that when players have geared up a bit the game will still remain challenging. But won't that make hc impossibly difficult when you first start out in inferno?

BattleTag Mick-1457

Re: Inferno and hardcore mode

It's tough to say without actually playing it. I would hope that a well built character would at least have the opportunity for a tactical retreat if they realized an enemy was out of their league. The prudent measure would be to farm for upgrades in Act IV hell for a while before moving on.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere (or implied) that Act IV hell -> Act I inferno was a smooth difficulty instead of a sudden spike? That should help players get an idea if they are ready to move forward.

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

I think that's the reason why every class have at least one escape 'oh ****!' skill (spirit walk, sprint, smoke bomb, teleport, serenity, etc.) and some more fragile one have more, and that's beyond the defensive skills that every class also receive several of.

Played right without reckless charging I suppose there's always tactical option to retreat, Bashiok also had said that they want to move away from cheap one-shot death unless you're severely under-geared. So I'll hazard a guess that most players death will be their own fault :P

BattleTag Mick-1457

Quote Originally Posted by cozmiccc View Post
    Played right without reckless charging I suppose there's always tactical option to retreat, Bashiok also had said that they want to move away from cheap one-shot death unless you're severely under-geared. So I'll hazard a guess that most players death will be their own fault :P
    I will hazard another guess that many players who die will firmly believe they were not at fault.

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

Quote Originally Posted by Raesene View Post
    I will hazard another guess that many players who die will firmly believe they were not at fault.
    True, they'll blame lag spike even if moment ago they just charged that champion pack while under half health, "I mean, I could have pressed earthquake on time and they'll all have died!!!!!!!" :P

IncGamers Member

The majority of the very few non lag deaths of dececnt hc players I've seen over so many years playing d2hc happened when a tuff pack, was placed after a loading zone (cow level red portal, stairs to throne of baal map,...) I really hope that blizzard implements something like making you inmune until you start moving, so at least you can click the portal/stairs back if there are 20 cow-like mobs trying to instantly kill you, or you simply decide that you want to reroll another combo of mobs for that level in a new game, since you dont have too much room to kite in the begining of a new level...

Let's see how they will do this.

Well the thing with hardcore is, inferno will need to be beatable without ever dying otherwise hardcore is worthless. Now that statement does not apply to all, in fact I would be fine if a very very small % of players could do it

IncGamers Member

Indeed. If a potential god-like player (as in skilled) cant complete the game without dying then Blizzard failed at balancing it. Which is true for SC mode as well for that matter. Death should never be random.

HC character will have to farm much longer than SC character to enter inferno if the don't want to die but that's part of HC's challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by pwt View Post
    I really hope that blizzard implements something like making you inmune until you start moving, so at least you can click the portal/stairs back if there are 20 cow-like mobs trying to instantly kill you
    I think they already did implement something like this. When using waypoints I noticed, that my character never appeared at the destination until the client actually finished loading the area, no matter how long it took. I strained my HDD once just to make sure. I assume stairs and other portals work the same way.