Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Wizard with Axes? What the...

Hi, guys!

I'm not writing this topic to QQ, but... there is something that seriously bugs me about Diablo III.

The thing is... that te skill damage is based on weapon damage. Personally, I love the general concept, but... Well, I think that most people will choose their weapons based on the DPS because it has the biggest influence on your damage output. While I don't really mind that, it seems kinda weird to me to see Wizards running around with axes or other melee weapons. The same goes for other classses.

Some weapons just don't fit the general theme of the class. I wouldn't care if using off-class weapons was something uncommon, but I don't think it will. I fear that most people will use any weapon that gives them the highest DPS and the best mods, regardless of the weapon type. This way many Wizards will end up using melee weapons which... is just weird.

Is it only me or is it really something Blizz should try to work on before release?

So far... Patch 16 has limited class-specific mods to class-specific items, which should help with this problem. I fear it's not enough, though. I think Blizzard should introduce some sort of weapon masteries that increase your weapon damage by 10% when using a class specific weapon. This way people would end up using off-class weapons only when they're really superior to other stuff they find.

Any thoughts?

Re: Wizard with Axes? What the...

In my experience, class-specific items have a better chance of spawning with stats that you want and their DPS is in line with similarly leveled items. I think if you'll have access to an off-hand Orb as a Wizard for example, then there's a good chance that you'll use it.

The problem in the beta is that the craftable Zweihander is easily attainable and it's potentially the best weapon for 3 out of 5 classes. This won't be a problem come release, because by the time our blacksmith reaches the level when he'll have access to that recipe we'll be clearing content where better items will drop. Until I get a good Zweihander, I almost always use a class specific weapon or off-hand in the beta, if I find one.

I see your point but do not agree. I love the idea of my wizz carrying a 1-h sword or axe instead of a wand. I hate wands. If it was wand only i would not play wizz. I dont mind at all to carry a 2-h mace. I do agree that 2-h axes will look a bit out of place thou but i dont mind at all. Im sure there plenty of ppl out there that think a 2-h axeweilding wizz would look awesome so let them go for it.

Also bashiok have already stated that using a wand and a orb has proven to be better in most cases during their internal testing. Judging from that it will be more common to se "normal" wizzards and not 2-h axes on wizz. Also bear in mind that its a matter of castingspeed. 2-h weapons will make the wizz cast slower and do more dmg wich is good for some skills while wand is faster and do a little less dmg.

And your point with giving ppl bonuses for using class-specific. I do not agree. I love all the choices we have now and there already are an incentive to use class-specific. They give class-specific bonuses. If you use a 2-h axe you will miss out on the already existing +%dmg, manaregen, extra resource etc on orbs and wands.

Anyways i think you should rest in bashioks post that wand and orb was better vs 2-h in their internal testing because of the existing class-specific bonuses on the items

IncGamers Member

Keep in mind spell damage isn't just from DPS. I'm sure you'll find as the game progresses that weapons engineered for your class will result in a much greater increase in DPS rather than the biggest, sharpest sword you can find.

Not only that, weapons tailored to your class will also have cooldown reductions and other important affixes that will increase the utility, damage or frequency of your spells.

Yeah, perhaps I'm wrong I just want to see how other people feel about it

To be hones, I think I won't mind it either once the game comes out, or even if I do I'll get used to it at some point

IncGamers Member

So I guess you hate all those sorceresses in Diablo 2 that run around with spirit crystal swords as well?

IncGamers Member

This is possibly my least favorite design decision in the whole game, primarily because of how bizarrely unintuitive it ends up being. When even the hardcore fans can't quite tell how much the dmg for skills like Firebats or Explosive Blast works ("wait, so do I cast less bats if I have a slower weapon??"), it's clear to me something is wrong. Cast speed and weapon speed should never have been tied.

Quote Originally Posted by yovargas View Post
    When even the hardcore fans can't quite tell how much the dmg for skills like Firebats or Explosive Blast works ("wait, so do I cast less bats if I have a slower weapon??"), it's clear to me something is wrong.
    This has nothing to do with tying APS and weapon damage to skills. The reason most fans have questions about this system is that they didn't play the game yet and the tutorial and tooltips don't explain this at all. However, when people will look at their casting speed with different weapons it will become apparent to them very quickly, that weapon APS and damage affects every skill.

Listing the exact formulas for skill damage and APS isn't really needed for the majority of players. That said, I would welcome an expert tooltip option beside the current advanced one. Now that I understand how things work even with channeled skills I have to say though, that this new system makes sense and it affects different type of skills consistently.

Last edited by HardRock; 10-04-2012 at 11:23.

I somehow find this a really good thing. Not only it feels more realistic that you can use any weapon but It opens for more possibility for wizard to use other items other than wand or staff.

@Jantejeuh - no, I don't. I don't really hate anyone or anything. I think you've misunderstood me.

I find having a magic-based class using a melee weapon weird. It just doesn't suit the theme of the class. Come on - wizards and sorcerers use wands, staves, orbes, etc. That's their thing.

Imagine a Barbarian using a wand... Wouldn't it look weird?

@Wildmoon - I don't see how it makes the game more realistic. How does holding an axe in your hand improve your spell damage? I can imagine wands or staves doing so, because they could be somehow used to channel your energy, but swordes and axes? For me they're made to hit the enemy, not make your spells stronger

Guys, I'm not trying to QQ, because in all honesty it's a minor thing. It won't make the game less fun or broken. It's all about the visuals The whole point of this topic is to see what other people think about it, not start another war in diablo community