Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

No weapon animations for the monk is embarrassing

I literally can't play the monk because I'm embarrassed for the development team every time I select a spell. Sucks that this eliminates one of the possible classes I will be playing. I don't like feeling embarrassed while playing the game, it breaks the immersion.

What do you guys think? whenit'sdonetm

BattleTag Mick-1457

Re: No weapon animations for the monk is embarrassing

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I feel embarrassed, but I do think the monk animations stand out from the others as being a bit goofy by weapon choice. This is probably why long ago they wanted to restrict the monk to a very specific weapon set, but players pushed back on that hard - so here we are.

To be fair, the other classes have incongruent animations as well with certain weapons. A barbarian will cleave with a spear. Strafe with a demon hunter using a bow looks a bit silly. The witch doctor and wizard don't really use their weapons so their animations don't have this issue.

I think it's pretty badass that the Monk fights with his fists regardless of what weapon he's using :P. It struck me as a good compromise, and let's face it - he still looks pretty bad arse :P.

I think that if you use fist weapons (which most players will, I think), he'll look fine. Non-fist weapons for dual-wielding (IE swords) are only 'good' in the beta because good fist stuff doesn't seem to drop so early....but the best items for the monk will be fist weapons and daibos - which both look cool on him :P.

They were also very smart to make some of his spell effects utilise his staff - Tempest Rush and Wave of Light.

I think it would be more ridiculous if he was doing "Way of One Hundred Fists" or any of his other cool attacks with a sword or mace or any other non-Monk-like weapon that you happen to be wearing for DPS. It would be cool if they worked in a way to add animations for the staff (for those skills that don't explicitly state fists), since that's really the only "monk" like weapon I want to see him wielding. For the rest, I'd prefer it just show fists, looks better.

I recommend taking a double dose of OCD medicine when playing D3.

BattleTag Diab-1350

Try using the Wizard's Magic Missile while wielding a bow...

BattleTag cozmic0-1632

If you're not playing monk just because of this issue you're missing out... Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    I think it's pretty badass that the Monk fights with his fists regardless of what weapon he's using :P. It struck me as a good compromise, and let's face it - he still looks pretty bad arse :P.

I think that if you use fist weapons (which most players will, I think), he'll look fine. Non-fist weapons for dual-wielding (IE swords) are only 'good' in the beta because good fist stuff doesn't seem to drop so early....but the best items for the monk will be fist weapons and daibos - which both look cool on him :P.
    Agreed, the class is built around martial arts and I am perfectly fine with him/her dominating the world with their bare hands, Bruce Lee style.

The monk also has kicking abilities I came to think of, is the Monk the only one who has that?

I have sword but I don't use it because I am too badass.

Wasn't the OP, the guy who wasn't even gone buy Diablo III as it was horrible?