Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    9

    Character names!

    I'm going to be rushing to get the name Conan for my first Barbarian, what are you guys thinking for names?



  2. #2
    IncGamers Member Raesene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    BattleTag Mick-1457
    Posts
    1,388

    Re: Character names!

    Quote Originally Posted by KKnoop View Post
    I'm going to be rushing to get the name Conan for my first Barbarian, what are you guys thinking for names?
    No need to rush. They don't force uniqueness in names. So whatever name you want will always be available (assuming it doesn't break the terms of service).



  3. #3
    IncGamers Member Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Character names!

    there is no way you will beat me for conan. no chance in hell. ITS MINE



  4. #4
    IncGamers Member RazeBarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Austria
    BattleTag Flexy-2748
    Posts
    1,227

    Re: Character names!

    I'm actually researching medieval/fantasy names to find fitting names for all the classes.

    Some interesting info I found:

    And don't forget you can just stick a medieval suffix on some names. For example, -vin or -wyn means FRIEND:

    Alvin, 'friend of all'
    Baldwin, 'bold friend'
    Calvin, 'faithful friend'
    Devin, 'friend of the divine' or 'poet'
    Elvin, 'friend of elves'
    Kelvin, 'friend of ships'

    -ley/-leigh means 'from the field', -lock 'lake', -well, -wise/-vis, -rick/-righ (king), -ton 'town', -wood, -ward 'protector', -drake (dragon), -brook & -burn 'from the stream', -stone/-ston, -wyk/-wich 'man', -mond/-mount, -bert 'bright', -hill/-dale/-tor/-crest (hill), -row (path or line), -brake (hedge)


  5. #5
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    82

    Re: Character names!

    I tend to invent character names on the spot, I personally can't stand naming most characters after deities, mythological characters or even characters from modern day fiction. The exceptions being thematic builds! As well as the name Knightmare, just because I'm a sucker for clever plays on words.



  6. #6
    IncGamers Member psyadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: Character names!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raesene View Post
    No need to rush. They don't force uniqueness in names. So whatever name you want will always be available (assuming it doesn't break the terms of service).
    how do you know this? Even if that's true, I wouldn't want to be named the same as another person. Personally, allowing two people to be named exactly the same thing is bad design imo.




  7. #7
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    175

    Re: Character names!

    Quote Originally Posted by psyadam View Post
    how do you know this? Even if that's true, I wouldn't want to be named the same as another person. Personally, allowing two people to be named exactly the same thing is bad design imo.
    Of course it's bad design. Names are meant to be unique, you know, cause it's your NAME... however Blizzard has said they're using the same name mechanics as SC2 uses now, which is NON-unique. The unique part comes from the account name (whispering people, adding them to friends, etc.) The character names will mean nothing except as identifiers for YOU to discern which character is which.

    http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...-game-versions


    This was posted a while ago. Since then, they have confirmed that for launch, this is the system they will use.



  8. #8
    IncGamers Member Raesene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    BattleTag Mick-1457
    Posts
    1,388

    Re: Character names!

    Seeing another Raesene in my public game = amusing coincidence.
    Not being able to name my character Raesene because some jerk already did = extremely frustrating.

    I suppose I would rather be mildly amused than extremely frustrated, so I'm going to vote for non-unique names.



  9. #9
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    175

    Re: Character names!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raesene View Post
    Seeing another Raesene in my public game = amusing coincidence.
    Not being able to name my character Raesene because some jerk already did = extremely frustrating.

    I suppose I would rather be mildly amused than extremely frustrated, so I'm going to vote for non-unique names.
    "extremely frustrating" - that sounds a little dramatic.



  10. #10
    IncGamers Member Panopticon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CT
    BattleTag Rescue-1816
    Posts
    345

    Re: Character names!

    Quote Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
    "extremely frustrating" - that sounds a little dramatic.
    Go start a character on an old wow server and get back to me..



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •