Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    Banned

Increased Attack Speed +15% or +.15 APS?

When talking about increased attack speed from dual wielding, some people say 15% and some people say +.15 APS. Which one is it? Also what about Frenzy? And what about the IAS item mods?

Re: Increased Attack Speed +15% or +.15 APS?

"+0.15" IAS means you get less than 1% increased attack speed :P.

However, if you say x0.15 AS, that means the same thing as "+15% IAS".

Blizzard's tooltips use the % convention, so I like defaulting to that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    "+0.15" IAS means you get less than 1% increased attack speed :P.

Wrong. If a player has basic attack speed of 1 hit per second that is 1.0 ias. Now add to that 0.15 you got 15% increased attack speed.

The difference here is if you are dualwielding two 1.50 attack speed weapons. If you add 0.15 attack speed you end up with 1,65 as, or 10% ias. If you add 15% attack speed you end up with 1.725 attacks per second.

If dualwielding boosts aattack speed by 15% then it seems it is more efficient for fast attacking weapons with high attack sped (1.40, 1.50).

0.15 ias would be less than 1% increase if you are wielding weapon with 15.1 attack speed, which is 15 hits per secong, and i doubt we will see that in diablo 3.

IncGamers Member

It's a flat 15% IAS which is additive with other sources of IAS. That would mean that if you get 15% from DW and 85% from other sources it adds up to total 100% and is calculated as such. As far as i know there are no known diminishing returns in place.

Weapon speed is non-factor. 100 damage weapons that have attack speed of 2 times per second get the same value from DW as 200 damage weapons with 1 attack per second. In this simple scenario both setups would get a 30 damage per second increase from DW bonus.

That being said weapon speed can have other consequences, like in wizards case AP pool has fixed regen rate and depending the build fast or slow attack speed can be the optimal choice.

PS. Wizards won't be dual-wielding, but this was just an example used to show the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcatcher View Post
    If a player has basic attack speed of 1 hit per second that is 1.0 ias. Now add to that 0.15 you got 15% increased attack speed.
    Oh yeah, that's true - but it's the only situation where it IS true.

Karpalo summed it up pretty nicely. The thing to notice is that many values in the game work by adding percentage points to your default value which is considered 100%. Another calculation where it's used are the multitude of "deal xx% more damage" effects which are all added together, and the sum is used as multiplier.

Quote Originally Posted by mike20599 View Post
    When talking about increased attack speed from dual wielding, some people say 15% and some people say +.15 APS. Which one is it? Also what about Frenzy? And what about the IAS item mods?
    Karpalo summed it up nicely, but let me give you a few examples.

The calculation looks like this: weapon APS * (1 + DW bonus + Frenzy bonus + item bonuses)

Assuming a weapon with 1.3 APS:

DW: 1.3 * (1 + 0.15) = 1.495 APS
    Frenzy: 1.3 * (1 + 1.75) = 2.275 APS
    Frenzy + DW = 1.3 * (1 + 0.15 + 0.75) = 2.47 APS

I'm not sure how APS bonuses on items affect weapons if you dual-wield though. I believe if its on a weapon, then it affects only that weapon and otherwise it affects both your weapons. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: At the moment (beta patch 15), even weapon based APS bonuses seem to affect both weapons while dual-wielding.

EDIT2: Only flat bonuses on weapons affect both equipped weapons, not percentage based ones.

Last edited by HardRock; 08-04-2012 at 22:40.

IncGamers Member

Does that go for flat min/max damage as well?

No, none of the damage bonuses on weapons affect your other weapon. I think the fact that currently flat APS bonuses do is a bug.

EDIT: Apparently, others think this is a bug as well: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4365751279

Last edited by HardRock; 08-04-2012 at 23:25.