Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Video with some odd claims about Diablo

I came across a pretty good video on youtube summing the lore before humans were created. However, I reed all Diablo books there are I am really a huge fan of it's lore and some claims in this video stroke me like a lightning I am not sure if the video is correct, if it is then there must be a book I've missed so I guess someone here could explain it to me.

First of all it says "both sides fought over the heart of creation". Now it sounds to me like it's implying that the whole war started because of the worldstone. But wasn't it discovered in the course of the war, after it started? Well maybe it's not implying, but I kinda am not sure.
    Second it says "Inarius, the servant of Archangel Tyrael" Now wasn't he the brother of Tyrael? I know angels can't be born as brothers, they can be brothers in arms etc, but kinda odd for someone to be a brother and a servant at the same time. I never heard he was a servant of Tyrael, and it's also odd to have a "servant" screw them all over... So I just wanna know is this correct?
    Third the video shows Rhatma in the form of some snake oO

so yeah, I guess I need an update. What happened to Dablo lore? I thought Blizzard will stay true to Diablo...
    soz on bad spelling

here is the video:
    <****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Td-PzXTCcoU?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

Banned

Re: Video with some odd claims about Diablo

It's probably going to get butchered just like SC2. Pity.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klathum View Post
    Second it says "Inarius, the servant of Archangel Tyrael" Now wasn't he the brother of Tyrael?
    No.

Tyrael in DII:

There is a dark, tortured soul who was trapped within this forsaken realm long ago. He was called Izual by mortal men, and in ages past he was my most trusted Lieutenant.

There are some part that were retconed. Not necessary a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by grunge View Post
    It's probably going to get butchered just like SC2. Pity.
    How SC2 lore got butchered? -_-" The story around Jim Raynor was told pretty well. It is even better if you read Devils' Due.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    How SC2 lore got butchered? -_-" The story around Jim Raynor was told pretty well. It is even better if you read Devils' Due.
    Just ignore him! I started arguing with him recantly before i realized he is one of those people who whines about everything. Save yourself time and dont dignify him with a discussion!

BattleTag Jackal-1357

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    No.

Tyrael in DII:

There is a dark, tortured soul who was trapped within this forsaken realm long ago. He was called Izual by mortal men, and in ages past he was my most trusted Lieutenant.

Izual does not = Inarius.

Read the Sin War trilogy, Inarius is covered in great depth.

Yeah, they retconned some stuff - the Worldstone has indeed existed since possibly before Angels and Demons came into being, since it's a remnant of the final cataclysmic battle between Anu and Tethamet (these guys are also new to the canon).

Instead of the Worldstone being something that Heaven and Hell find during the course of their war, the Worldstone WAS the reason for their endless war.

Of course, now that it's blown up, I'm pretty sure that Heaven and Hell would still be happy to see the other destroyed all the same.

BattleTag Jackal-1357

IIRC the Worldstone was something that changed hands constantly. It didn't move from faction to faction, but the hold which housed it (Pandemonium Fortress I think) came under demonic and angelic control, back and forth.

Then, Inarius teamed up with Lilith (Mephisto's rugrat) and they stole it away, hid it, and took on the role of "the Creator". They birthed Sanctuary and the Nephalem, kept it veiled to the rest of the universe, and lived happily ever just a little while.

The angels and demons kept warring with each other, each side believing that the other had taken the Worldstone and were playing keep-away with it.

I may need to read them again, but pretty sure this is somewhat accurate. Feel free to throw in corrections!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackalYYC View Post
    Izual does not = Inarius.
    LOL OOPS! That's what I get for reading too fast. In that case, the only pre-Knaak reference to Inarius I know of is from the D1 manual as background for the overlord enemies:

Even the Seraphim are not immune to the corruption of the Dark Lords. One such angel, Inarius, was proud of his beauty and boasted loudly of his purity and worth. His thoughts became so clouded that he believed himself to be above both Angel and Demon, and he left the High Heavens to form his own dominion. He constructed a great cathedral of mirrored glass and crystal, and followers flocked to him, drawn by his numinous charm and wealth. Once Inarius had gathered a sizable army, he decided to prove his power. Inarius first laid siege to an infernal temple devoted to the worship of Mephisto, but made the foolish mistake of overestimating his prowess. The armies of Inarius laid waste to the temple and killed the dark monks that dwelled within. The Three Evils had considered the vain warrior a mere nuisance and amusement until this time, but this was an insult that they could not bear.

Mephisto himself is said to have appeared at the cathedral of Inarius. He laid waste to the church and the surrounding countryside. The Lord of Hatred took the proud archangel and his followers captive. He bound Inarius with tremendous chains and slowly tore the wings from the back of the angel. Great barbed hooks were then used to stretch out the once glowing skin and his features were distorted by vile powers. Many of the followers of Inarius were given as gifts to Baal and Diablo, but the rest were molded to match the bloated image of the now crippled angel. To this day, Inarius is said to be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form for all eternity. His misguided followers now serve as Hell’s taskmasters, taking the anguish of their lost glory out upon the bodies of others.
    I guess you could call that a retcon but I think they did a good job updating it and keeping it mostly consistent considering they wrote the original material in '96 or thereabouts. They kept the main points of him making his own world, fighting demonic religions, and being a prisoner of Hell.

As for the worldstone, it's not even mentioned in the manuals and just kinda appears in LoD as a MacGuffin with no backstory and very vague references to what it even does. So Blizz can do and say pretty much whatever they want about it for D3 without being accused of retconning.

Last edited by marshmallow; 07-04-2012 at 18:23.