Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Can Cold Mastery help my Shiver Armor?

My Bearsorc has ran out of places to invest skill points--not a horrible problem to have, I suppose. Would putting a couple of points into Cold Mastery help my maxed Shiver Armor? Would it have a higher chance of freezing enemies or freeze them for longer? Thanks.

Re: Can Cold Mastery help my Shiver Armor?

I'm not really sure how you can run out of places to put skill points when playing a bear sorc, but if you don't mind me asking, what is your current level and skill layout?

IncGamers Member

Well, I simplified it. At level 96, I think, I run out of skills. Lvl 89 now.
    20 Fire Mastery
    20 Lightning Mastery
    20 Warmth
    20 Enchant
    20 Shiver Armor
    6 Prereqs and One pointers (tele, static)

Nothing else is of any use to me since I can't cast in bear form.

Have you considered going for Energy Shield? If you drop the majority of points from shiver armor into telekenisis and prebuff your energy shield your survival will be that much higher. I fully synergized energy sheild on my bear sorc and I found a dramatic improvement in survival. Cold Mastery isn't really going to do that much for you unless you have a significant source of extra cold damage. I'm not sure if cold mastery will increase cold length, but even if it did it would be an insignificant amount of time in hell I would imagine.

IncGamers Member

I have considered the seemingly under-appreciated ES build. I've actually done a considerable amount of experimentation and analysis of the Bearsorc. The ES Bearsorc is great. I had one with Memory's prebuff, maxed Telekinesis, and it was very hearty. But I went with what I view as its only real competitor (from a defensive standpoint): a physical damaging, high resist, high defense, high life, high leech, high block variant. I dumped the phase blade and got Grizz's Caddy (3xShael, 40/15IAS) and a set of Dracs, BK rings, and String of Ears so he's actually able leech quite nicely (at 5 fpa). Repairs are seldom necessary, too, since you're one-hitting everything. The next essential combo is an upped Guardian Angel and a Defiance Merc that boosts your defense to up to about 20k, gives 95% resist all, and drastically lowers the dexterity requirement for max block. The pittance of damage coming in is easy to leech back and you can still achieve a 3K red bubble without even using CTA.

So the roadmap for skill distribution of this build is just max the essential (masteries, enchant, warmth) and pump the rest into Shiver Armor. But you're still left with a couple of leftovers. By putting 1 point into cold mastery, you get -60% enemy resists, which is big but obviously the 100 or so damage from Shiver Armor isn't a huge part of your damage output. The only purpose I could see with it, is if it has an affect on how likely, how long, or to what degree a monster gets chilled. But I'm really hazy on the mechanics of freezing.

CR directly affects chill length:
    Quote Originally Posted by onderduiker View Post
    Chill length is affected by difficulty penalties (reduced to 1/2 in Nightmare and to 1/4 in Hell) and Cold Resist %, so chill length is reduced to 1/8 when applied to a unit with CR 50% in Hell
    Afaik cold damage always leads to slowing, and how much they're slowed depends on chill effectiveness (follow the link to onderduiker's post if you want details). As for freezing them solid, I don't know.

Since you won't have anywhere else to put those extra points I guess the choice is obvious :P

IncGamers Member

Great. That helps out a lot. Actually, it's good information for any non-cold Frozen/Shiver/Chilling Armor using sorc (which is most all of them), because it's a great one point wonder given the usual multitude of +skills.

For instance, according to this, if my Shiver Armor chilled a monster with 50% resist cold for 2 seconds. Now my slvl 9 SA will chill them for 4.4 seconds. If they had 0% resists, a 4 second freeze becomes a 6.4 second freeze. And most sorcs have far more than the +8 all sklls that I have.

It looks like I should add a point to CM before I even finish Shiver Armor. Thanks!

IncGamers Member

Clervis I'm a little curious. Have you ever tried out a maxed shiver/frozen armor in Hell? With or without CM?
    Because the freeze/chill effect of cold armor really doesn't do much of anything at all in my experience. It's really mainly there for +defense.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Clervis I'm a little curious. Have you ever tried out a maxed shiver/frozen armor in Hell? With or without CM?
    Because the freeze/chill effect of cold armor really doesn't do much of anything at all in my experience. It's really mainly there for +defense.
    I went back and experimented on single player, players 8. I used slvl 30 Shiver Armor (~130 cold dam) completely unsynergized and slvl 10 Cold Mastery. Shiver armor applies cold damage to any monster that takes a swing at you, whether they hit or miss. As I mentioned above, my Bearsorc has really high defense and max block, so just about anybody who tries, gets chilled. So, when I tested it, sure enough every monster who swung got stung. Furthermore, observing the blue ones vs. the unblue (attacking my merc) there was a noticeable difference in attack speed (not huge, but noticeable). So, yes, I would say it does make a difference. Your experience doesn't necessarily contradict this as most sorcs are ranged casters, if they get hit by a melee monster they typically teleport away continue slinging fireballs, etc.. So the cold effects of the armors would not be that pronounced. For my bearsorc, however, being a melee build he's always in the think of it and monsters regularly get chances to take multiple swings at him. Slowing a monster by even 20% translates into a distinct advantage, especially considering it's most noticeable when you're swarmed and that's when you'd need it the most. It should be said, the +defense certainly helps more, but the cold effect is advantageous.