Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Potions & health globes: Would you rather avoid attacks through movement?

I've been playing an unnamed D2 mod which makes the game more difficult, and so for a couple of years now. In order to challenge myself some more, I thought I'd limit myself to using only drops, and never returning to town unless I had to for questing purposes.

In an attempt to reduce my potion consumption, I started weaving in and out of combat. I'd worked out the strategy, to the point where I didn't really need an actual health bar except for those unavoidable situations.

So, here's the question:

Would you rather play a game without globes & potions where your survival is instead based on your ability to avoid predictable but varied monster attacks and skills? I enjoyed that. It renewed my love for D2 combat quite a bit.

IncGamers Member

Re: Potions & health globes: Would you rather avoid attacks through movement?

Why one over the other? Should be build dependent.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by konfeta View Post
    Why one over the other? Should be build dependent.
    It seems I've been having a harder time avoiding stuff in D3, this is why I'm bringing it up. But I'd love both to be viable, for sure.

IncGamers Member

Well, JWilson has already stated that you won't be able to avoid being hit. I kind of agree with that sentiment because being able to kite everything gives glass cannons too big of an advantage.

That said, I do expect there to be a separation between playstyles - the less tanky you are, the more your abilities are dedicated towards avoiding damage in the first place.

IncGamers Member

Both should be needed imo.
    If you don't sometimes move to avoid damage then there shouldnt be enough health orbs to save your ***.

Spec and gear will then influence how much you will have to move.
    Already exists for the beta tbh. Just imagine SK hitting 5 times as hard or something. You might always want to move from his big attacks then.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by konfeta View Post
    Well, JWilson has already stated that you won't be able to avoid being hit. I kind of agree with that sentiment because being able to kite everything gives glass cannons too big of an advantage.
    Perhaps, though they did give melee characters a 30% reduction. Which screams "plaster-like fix" to me.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Namik-2329

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    Perhaps, though they did give melee characters a 30% reduction. Which screams "plaster-like fix" to me.
    Well, we don't know how hard mobs hit on Inferno. Perhaps without 30% reduction melee characters would be one-shotted.

IncGamers Member

I wish potions had been entirely remove from the game. I wish globes and skills were the only way to heal.

IncGamers Member

I strongly dislike the health globe system. The D2 potion spam was pretty awful too, but I thought potions with a cool down were a great fix. It would have been great compromise between the "full tactical" play suggested by the OP and the "health being force fed to us" method currently being employed. Health globes are yet another "system" in which the devs are holding our hands so tightly that their knuckles are turning white. I think we, the player, should be intelligent enough to pop a health pot when our health is low, well, maybe not console players...

The devs have tried a bit too hard to not interrupt the action, that they've stripped a lot of Diablo franchise's soul away, IMO.

IncGamers Member

Potions on cooldowns doesn't really fix anything by itself. Titan Quest mods tried that quite a few times, it just screws over melee classes that don't have a way to sustain their HP.

I am mostly convinced now they did this so they could nerf the defensive skills on the melee classes.

I think we, the player, should be intelligent enough to pop a health pot when our health is low, well, maybe not console players...
    If you are intelligent enough to pop a health pot on your own, you are intelligent enough to ration the health orb drops and maneuver around them so you do not waste them before you need them.