Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

200 jobs cut from Blizzard's Irish branch

We heard about the job cuts at Blizzard's HQ in Irvine, now comes word of additonal staff being laid off at Blizzard's Ireland branch as well.

Posted on Irishtimes.com on March 1, 2012:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0301/1224312582983.html

BARRY ROCHE, Southern Correspondent
    CORK SUFFERED a jobs blow last night when US computer game company Blizzard Entertainment announced it is to lay off 200 staff at its operation in the city.

The company employs 900 at its plant in Blackpool on Cork’s northside and staff were briefed yesterday by management on the proposed cuts.

Blizzard Entertainment is a division of US-headquartered Activision Blizzard which yesterday announced that it was cutting its workforce globally by some 600 employees.

According to Activision Blizzard, it anticipates that about 90 per cent of the affected 600 employees will come from departments not related to game development.

The Cork facility supports European players of Blizzard’s flagship World of Warcraft game which, along with its games Starcraft and Diablo, is one of its biggest sellers.

The company confirmed that some 200 jobs are to go across different language groups at its Cork operation on foot of a review of its operational needs.

The firm said that company management will enter into a consultation with all employees at the plant eligible to apply for voluntary redundancy.

Blizzard said it will continue to offer the same level of customer support from its Cork site in eight official languages of the European Union.

IDA Ireland confirmed it had been briefed on the announcement by Blizzard Entertainment and the agency would continue to support the Cork site which remains a significant employer.

An industry source expressed confidence that many of those affected by the Blizzard announcement possess the skills to find alternative employment within the gaming sector in Ireland.

The gaming company announced the creation of 100 jobs when establishing its Cork operation in 2007. However, this quickly grew to its existing level.
    600 at Irvine + 200 in Ireland, probably more elsewhere. Maybe a total of 1000 worldwide?

BattleTag Zoe-2982

Re: 200 jobs cut from Blizzard's Irish branch

There will probably be some in Velizy, France being as that's where I was going to work until the position was cancelled (good few years ago), I imagine a lot of positions going are in-game support.

IncGamers Site Pal
    Diablo 3 Beta Tester
    BattleTag Bowzer -1925

Quote Originally Posted by Loriku View Post
    There will probably be some in Velizy, France being as that's where I was going to work until the position was cancelled (good few years ago), I imagine a lot of positions going are in-game support.
    From all the wow sub cancellations I'd wager.

BattleTag Zoe-2982

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    From all the wow sub cancellations I'd wager.
    Probably having to close the positions to open up new ones in china and korea for the panda kids

Quote Originally Posted by Loriku View Post
    May I ask what position that was? Also are you still applying for jobs with Blizzard?

BattleTag Zoe-2982

I was going to be a GM for WoW, way back in the vanilla days. I'm not applying for any jobs anywhere right now, mental health won't let me, although it'd be nice to be offered a position again!

BattleTag Flexy-2748

I hope some of the fired guys from higher positions are going to spill the beans on inner workings of Blizz.
    Imagine what the fired artists from Irvine could tell us about Titan and stuff.

BattleTag RyTEK-1818

I feel bad for Ireland. A lot of tech companies locate staff there (gaming industry, pc hardware industry), but then these are always the first locations to be closed when demand subsides.

IncGamers Member

If you read the article you would see that this 200 is part of the 600 they laid off. This just proves that it was mostly customer support people who were let go.

IncGamers Member

Yeah. Surely is mostly WoW customer support they are cutting. And like 50 in Irvine from non-customer support. As Flux have speculated there is probably a high chance that some of them are from the D3 team. It is normal at the end of a dev cycle. And only reason they might announce such cuts would be because it was coincidently part of such a big round of lay offs.

Overall most of these lay offs is probably just a consequence of much less customer support needed for WoW these days, not even directly because they have lost a relative small amount of subscribers, but because stuff like Authenticator and the age of the game itself (less issues), keeps reducing the amount of customer-support needed.

Sucks for Ireland though, just another of many companies sizing down there.