Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 88
  1. #41
    IncGamers Member Sentarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    489

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Brak View Post
    I still think the "sword and board" will be a Cleric. At Blizzcon they lamented the lack of flails in the game and said it was a difficulty they were working out with their physics engine. Having a traditional Cleric using blunt weapons and a shield would fill the shield gap and hopefully we'll get flails back in the game.
    This makes a lot of sense. A sword (or mace) and shield user could also fit the demand for a class that uses Str as its primary.



  2. #42
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    965

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    I think we should look to the past not to the future if we want to explore the options. Every class this far is a real world arch type. WD kinda covers that voodoo/shaman area so i don't think the next class would be anything nature themed.

    Perhaps we could see vampire next? I think that's fairly unexplored entity in diablo universe so it's not tied to demon realm yet either.

    Paladin or cleric i find unlikely. They decided to go with monk with that holy man class. Another example how the game is aimed towards Asian audience btw. Perhaps we should look into oriental mythology?



  3. #43
    IncGamers Member Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    I would like a spear/shield too.



  4. #44
    IncGamers Member Stevinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    5,003

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I would like a spear/shield too.

    How about some thing loosely based on a Hoplite? Big Shield, Carries a short sword and a javelin. It would be a strenth and dex based attacker, the spells would mostly be buffs, and it wouldn't feel at all like the big two handed smash type of character you get from the Barb.

    He's shield based and militaristic enough to be paladin-esque, without stepping on the monk's toes. Plus there's been a rash of movies about ancient greeks fighting badassidly (I know that's a made up word). You could have skill where he swipes with his shield's edge, charges with his shield forward (like smite), throws variously different afflicted javs, and you could name him cool greek names. As a geek, i'm well aware of how awesome it is to name your character awesome greek things. It also lends to the new fighting system, since all the recent stuff i've seen (Gladiator, Troy, 300, Spartacus on HBO, clash of the titans) all had a very smooth sword moves from bad guy to bad guy with blood flying all over kind of look to it. That style just feels like they're charging some kind of Wah-POW! maneuver.

    The female version would almost be an Amazon, so there's no awkwardness about having either gender. I think that type of class would really fit in. They'd need some pushing to get the skills epic enough, but I wouldn't worry about that, game designers love going over the top. I think it would be easiest to have this class type, i just don't know what you call him. You can't call it hoplite or spartan (or trojan), can you? Do people know what a hoplite is? And is there even a spartan type (without being a spartan) in D3 Lore? Would Titan work?



    As far as a shapeshifter goes, It's too boring to just shift to a wolf and basically be that wolf for the rest of the game. It would be cooler if there were more animals to shift to for various things, and you'd have to look more and more like them as you got better /higher skilled (or better armor since that's how the other classes work). Even that doesn't fit super well into the new skill sets. you'd need a handful of different abilities, and animal to identify with them and then a few different versions of the animal for each rune. That's a lot of artwork. see below and see how many different forms there would be. It's better if the shift is temporary--like when you use those skills.

    so for wolf skill, there'd have to be a big ol' dire wolf, maybe a fox that's smaller and does fire damage (like sonic the hedgehog meets the old blaze skill, it runs around makes fires between baddies' legs), maybe a pack where you don't get much stronger, but you're multiplied into three. Artic fox/wolf for some kind of cold damage--but different than polar bear below) maybe the attacks leave big old ice spikes around to damage others...

    for the bear skills there's the freezing polar bear (freezing breath?), the hulking tank grizzly, the dexterous black bear (they climb trees, right--that's dex)

    maybe have a lion class, or an elephant class (the skills are charges of various types) something that flies maybe? Hawk/eagle

    then some passive resists, some howls (buffs/debuffs), it would take quite a bit to come up with enough unique skills, the barb has like 22 active and a hole mess of passives iirc.


    Then not only do you have to flesh all that out, but each animal class has to have it's own identity. And you have to make sure the skills are varied enough. that's why blizz put the tornadoes in with the werewolf in D2. there's just only so many possible combos, and if your's not careful, they start to blend together--so you need to stylize.


    anyway, some thoughts.




  5. #45
    IncGamers Member Sex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    78

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    I hope we get a Druid in the DLC/Expansion. Or a Druid related character, the Druid in D2 was loads of fun.



  6. #46
    IncGamers Member z00t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Karpalo View Post
    I think we should look to the past not to the future if we want to explore the options. Every class this far is a real world arch type. WD kinda covers that voodoo/shaman area so i don't think the next class would be anything nature themed.
    They were careful to tune the WD in a particular way though, like while he has some nature-themed skills, I don't think the voodoo theme treads on the toes of what a more archetypical nature-themed class would be like.

    I'd love to see a proper nature-themed class who has spells which player would expect from such a class - much like the druid, but maybe with less 'elemental' attacks and more attacks which are nature-themed spells, like vines that erupt from the ground to entangle and damage your enemies. Yeah I know that similar skills exist in other games, but that's the sort of thing someone would expect a nature-hero to do. I'm sure there are all sorts of other crazy ideas you could do with the theme :P.


    Spear/Shield would be interesting, but as I recall, it used to be that the Templar's hallmark was fighting with those two weapons. Rather than a Hoplite-like class, I'd much rather see a straight-up Paladin return, because there's so much they can do to make his equipping a shield interesting on him. In D2, he only had a couple skills that really used the shield as a weapon - I'd love to see it be a much bigger part of his playstyle, and I know they can do an awesome job of 'remaking' him in D3.



  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    194

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    Although he was fun and I want a return in d3...he was basically useless in elemental form...and useless when you ran into immune to physical as a shapeshifter. Needed a support char.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sex View Post
    I hope we get a Druid in the DLC/Expansion. Or a Druid related character, the Druid in D2 was loads of fun.


  8. #48
    IncGamers Member JaMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    225

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    Shapeshifter worked in D2 because you had constant access to all skills. Not the case in D3, as somebody already said it would be awkward and hard to fit into the 6 skill slot system. Ruled out.

    Moving forward, there definitely is a lack of shield user, and if they intend to include this item in the game (which they will), there really should be a dedicated class. That being said there also lacks a second pet user, as well as a nature theme.

    Nature theme and pet user fit well together, so that's a safe bet. Witch Doctor is the only class that could make a pet based build. But they did give each class a summon of some kind (Barb has his Ancients, Monk has Mystic Ally, Wizard - Familiar, and Demon Hunter - Companion). It would be reasonable to add another pet class though, which goes with Nature theme.

    The problem that comes with a Nature / pet class is the gear balance. This class would definitely be Intelligence. So it's not likely.

    What D3 needs then, is a shield bearer that could be Strength based, making good use of the shield. The javelin has been left without a champion as well. They could make a ranged / melee hybrid throwing javelins, but might as well be an amazon then...

    There needs to be enough of a twist put on both these archetypes, implementing some mechanic of gameplay or lore that eludes us currently



  9. #49
    IncGamers Member Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    How about some thing loosely based on a Hoplite? Big Shield, Carries a short sword and a javelin. It would be a strenth and dex based attacker, the spells would mostly be buffs, and it wouldn't feel at all like the big two handed smash type of character you get from the Barb.

    He's shield based and militaristic enough to be paladin-esque, without stepping on the monk's toes. Plus there's been a rash of movies about ancient greeks fighting badassidly (I know that's a made up word). You could have skill where he swipes with his shield's edge, charges with his shield forward (like smite), throws variously different afflicted javs, and you could name him cool greek names. As a geek, i'm well aware of how awesome it is to name your character awesome greek things. It also lends to the new fighting system, since all the recent stuff i've seen (Gladiator, Troy, 300, Spartacus on HBO, clash of the titans) all had a very smooth sword moves from bad guy to bad guy with blood flying all over kind of look to it. That style just feels like they're charging some kind of Wah-POW! maneuver.

    The female version would almost be an Amazon, so there's no awkwardness about having either gender. I think that type of class would really fit in. They'd need some pushing to get the skills epic enough, but I wouldn't worry about that, game designers love going over the top. I think it would be easiest to have this class type, i just don't know what you call him. You can't call it hoplite or spartan (or trojan), can you? Do people know what a hoplite is? And is there even a spartan type (without being a spartan) in D3 Lore? Would Titan work?
    i like it. this gets the apocastamp of approval



  10. #50
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    389

    Re: Serious expansion class speculation

    I think a true blue knight and shining armor type character really is missing, but I don't think we need to look to the paladin to fill that role. A cleric and spartan/hoplite class have been mentioned and would fit the mold quite nicely. Indeed, I would be happy if the new class was just knight. It would be pretty sweet, I could see it now, aw, just a knight, that's not as interesting as paladin/templar/Death knight/barbarian, but I disagree. Indeed, if you are just a knight, Paladin, templar, DK, inquisitor, straight up fighter, can all be sub classes.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •