Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pride Merc

Re: Pride Merc

Spoiler

That was quick.

Those numbers earlier were LCS numbers, and indeed with Death Colossus Sword as weapon, 100% CB and DS, 350% Damage to Demons. Usually enough to kill /players3 uniques, sometimes failing with low damage roll. Extra strong and magic resistant bosses also take two hits (not 100% sure about the latter, though). I've liked the setup because of its consistency: howl, hit once, hork and teleport away. Pride would propably serve it decently because the lower damage rolls should, then, be enough to kill normal bosses on first strike. The high damage rolls could also be enough to kill extra strong bosses on first.

I agree with you, zaphod, that stacking more and more ED% on a character who already has tons of it isnít as efficient as stacking it for a WW barb or similar build with low skill ED%, but thatís not a reason not to do it if you happen to have the wealth and think it brings something to the build and purpose you enjoy pursuing. If optimization is the goal, costs aside, Pride could have something to offer.

Throwing big chunks of damage slowly is effective only as long as I kill exactly in one hit. When I start doing overdamage or just stay short on kills, it gets pretty pointless. At the moment the Death setup on /p3 is quite optimal, just missing the sliver of damage on some kills. It could be argued that I already do overdamage and I kind of agree, but Death is unfortunately the only really damaging weapon which offers good DS and weapons it can be made into, all have wide damage ranges.

Grief has the tight damage range and the average damage is almost the same as my minimum damage with Death, Deadly Strike aside. Possibly Grief could kill all the normal bosses on first strike with a little added damage.

And just a quick word about Grief vs. Death. I would say Grief wins in any situation, but it just isnít my cup of tea. I enjoy hitting hard and slow and thatís what Iíve tried to optimize, not a tele-zerker in general.

IncGamers Member

Why are you running them on p3? I thought the purpose of the tele zerker was to kill only bosses and hork them quickly. They drop a single magic ( or rare etc. ) item on any player settings. So use p1 -> problem solved.

Another thing: Ironically 'magic resistant' mod does not add any magic resistance, but 'mana burn' mod adds +20%. Most monsters have really low magic resistance ( I think in the pits it is 0 across the board ), and the maximum ever is 75%, so even mana burn mod will not make it magic immune. There are some magic immune by default monsters though.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    Why are you running them on p3? I thought the purpose of the tele zerker was to kill only bosses and hork them quickly. They drop a single magic ( or rare etc. ) item on any player settings. So use p1 -> problem solved.

Another thing: Ironically 'magic resistant' mod does not add any magic resistance, but 'mana burn' mod adds +20%. Most monsters have really low magic resistance ( I think in the pits it is 0 across the board ), and the maximum ever is 75%, so even mana burn mod will not make it magic immune. There are some magic immune by default monsters though.
    Running on players 1 could be the most optimal way of MFing with a tele-zerker, I don't know, and I've run Pits on /p1 with him, but I noticed I can handle higher setting with little added effort so I went for it. Maybe I'm creating my own problem, you decide, but I think looking for challenges and overcoming them is an essential part of the game. MFing itself and finding items is not that rewarding for me.

I also like to feel the power behind my character and /p3 brings it up. It doesn't satisfy me to hit /p1 bosses and know it's a guaranteed kill nearly as much as it does when I hit /p3 bosses and know that only the luckiest survive. Who knows, maybe adding Pride and wiping the odd survivors would take that satisfaction away as I'd start looking for a new challenge.

Thanks for the clarification about the magic resistances. I thought I had read it somewhere and I got the feeling that magic resistant mobs were not as resistant and durable as I expected them to be.

Spoiler

Awesome.