Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Latency and Regions

Hey guys,

I know people have said that the combat in D3 doesn't suffer from lag. Presumably (correct me if I'm wrong) all the combat is done by your computer with the server checking the results.

How does this work when more than one person is playing though? If me and a friend are both playing on American servers from Korea, how will the servers handle that? I would think that BOTH computers couldn't resolve combat themselves, since if one of us has a significantly lower latency, his actions will happen first, so the second players actions can't be resolved. (like he's hitting a monster who died already or something like that)

Sorry if that's kind of confusing. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how well this system works when one or both players have a high latency.

BattleTag Ask me!

Re: Latency and Regions

If the latency is 300+ you'll start to notice a decline in quality. The combat WILL suffer. I would presume that you run a risk of having at least 300+ ms latency if you're playing from Asia -> NA so you might have to change your plans. It's playable but barely enjoyable.

(I know that didn't answer what you asked but...)

IncGamers Member

I don't see how the combat in D3 could possibly not suffer from lag. I wouldn't put too much stock in it when "people say combat in D3 doesn't suffer from lag." Sounds to me like they're full of it. Maybe some lag issues are handled cleverly, but that's quite different from a general statement that lag has no impact at all.

BattleTag Ask me!

Well if there's less than 200 ms you can barely notice it and it barely effects combat. So a little lag hardly effects combat.

I can confirm this as well. Lately I always had a latency of 200ms and didn't notice any lag in combat at all.

When people say that they experienced lag even at low latencies it's most likely caused by packet loss or some other connection issues. D3 only refreshes the latency monitor every 2-3 seconds I think, so lag spikes won't always be visible on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMike View Post
    I know people have said that the combat in D3 doesn't suffer from lag. Presumably (correct me if I'm wrong) all the combat is done by your computer with the server checking the results.
    This seems to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyMike View Post
    How does this work when more than one person is playing though? If me and a friend are both playing on American servers from Korea, how will the servers handle that?
    Good question. I noticed slightly higher combat delays in multiplayer, but it wasn't too serious. I think the latency tolarance is simply lower in multiplayer, so the client will have to wait for the server even with lower latencies. I'm not sure about this though.

I've had the same experience as Urzuxo, no combat lag up until about 275-300ms (and I do mean no lag at all) in SP, but I did notice more lag with the same latency in multiplayer.

Last edited by HardRock; 04-04-2012 at 11:28.

BattleTag Azzure-1989

Why would this be a problem? What does it matter if your client reports you killed a monster but your friends client says he killed it? You both get loot, you both get EXP, the killing blow is meaningless. This is why they tailored the game like this, so it can support latency-free combat.

It will only matter in PvP, which will likely use the traditional client/server sync.

this brings me to another question i had but never asked (sorry to hi-jack the threat but i gotta ask it) how can i tell if the lag is my isp or the servers? every time i go to a site to test my speeds i get very fast speeds but i want to know if there is a way to test the consistency of my connection. anyone know?

IncGamers Member

In the Beta and eventual game what is the command/function to tell what server you are on and what the ping ms is?

the ping is shown in the lower right hand corner. has a green or yellow or red bar. just hover over that

IncGamers Member

My home connection(the one i will be using) can be quite spikey at times. Around 220-250ms when its stable but spikes to 300ms often. I get rubberbanding, animation skips & a few other issues often. :( I'm currently using another connection further north & closer to the exchange, which is really good steady 180-210ms & there is very little lag with it at all. The fact is, this game can run good as long as your connection is good.

I guess I'm just **** out of luck. No hardcore for me.