Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    Banned

New channeled spell info from Blizzard

Some blue info here about channeled spells:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...23807?page=1#5
    It seems channeled spells have cycles. One cycle is equal to the time it takes to make 1 weapon attack. Over the course of that cycle, the skill's listed % damage will be done over multiple ticks. Does anyone have a different interpretation?

I assume that the listed resource cost of the channeled spell will be consumed over the course of that 1 cycle as well. That would be consistent with a previous blue post about increased attack speed having the effect of increased dps but also increased resource consumption as well. Still there are a few questions.

How many ticks are displayed in one cycle?
    How are things affected if you are dual wielding?

I don't have the beta so I can't test these things out.

Re: New channeled spell info from Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by mike20599 View Post
    It seems channeled spells have cycles. One cycle is equal to the time it takes to make 1 weapon attack. Over the course of that cycle, the skill's listed % damage will be done over multiple ticks. Does anyone have a different interpretation?
    Basically, what Vasadan said in a convoluted way is that the DPS of a channeled skill can be calculated by multiplying your DPS from your character sheet by the skill's displayed damage.

I assume that the listed resource cost of the channeled spell will be consumed over the course of that 1 cycle as well. That would be consistent with a previous blue post about increased attack speed having the effect of increased dps but also increased resource consumption as well.
    That's right. Multiply a channeled skill's displayed mana cost with your APS to get the skill's real mana cost per second.

How many ticks are displayed in one cycle?
    Damage ticks are always displayed every half a second, your APS doesn't change this.

Good question, I'll look into this. My guess is that channeled skills only use your main hand weapon and that the APS bonus of dual-wield still applies.

Last edited by HardRock; 03-04-2012 at 18:35.

Dual gives you +15% bonus to weapon speed and that makes 1 cycle more often. Hero attacks more often using main hand wpn.

BattleTag blackdeath 2100

Quote Originally Posted by Valkemen View Post
    Hero attacks more often using main hand wpn.
    fact? i thought it was random.. that makes even more interesting things happen in my little brain

Supposedly some skills are only using your main hand weapons to attack when you're dual-wielding. From the patch notes of beta patch 13:

When dual-wielding, certain skills will now always use your main-hand weapon to determine damage

I don't know whether there's list of these skills available or not.

IncGamers Member

If damage is based on the mainhand + 15% speed for off-hand, I wonder if we're going to want big slow main-hands to reap the biggest benefit from the off-hand bonus.

Maybe for some skills. Channeled skills however deal more damage with more APS as well, not just with more damage.