Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Awaiting user confirming email address

Re: Use it so sell it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    At a guess the most regular transactions will be in the $5-$20 range (I also think the bulk of these will be for gold). But I certainly expect a few exceptional items to get up to 4 digits. The rarity of a prefectly rolled item is going to be pretty damn crazy. 4 random attributes on the high end crafts with the massive pool of possible attributes + the range on attribute values is going to make for way less perfect (Where I am defining perfect as the best combination of stats for a character with all values at the top of their range) items than people might think.

Is there a complete list of random properties somewhere and the ranges yet? Probably not, I'm guessing that won't be known till retail.
    Diablonut have a database but the data is wrong on some of items I've looked at and know from beta the top roll on that item

When there is a good database it will be an essential bookmark for comparing the top roll against the item you have found

IncGamers Member

If it's $100 because it's a perfect roll, the obvious solution is to sell it, then buy an imperfect one for $20, and you got the best of both worlds.

IncGamers Member

Had to jump in here and say to these people saying 20 dollars will be the highest a price will go for a perfect item are actually the dumb ones! go back to singleplayer ps3 games and let the people who has experienced true real money transaction gaming do the guessing.

Some people are saying here, why would someone be so DUMB to spend over 100 dollars on a item. Let me enlighten you:

Do you treat yourself to a take away sometimes? or a session at a gym? or even buy a chocolate bar from a shop? Why do you do these things? you DUMB? spending that much money on useless stuff!
    See what i did there?

To a person with a couple of cool million sitting in his bank, doesnt have to work anymore and enjoys gaming or especially diablo, then guess what my pessimistic friends. They will buy a item for 800 dollars and enjoy that purchase just like how you enjoy buying a chocolate bar.

people are not DUMB for buying high priced items on a game
    they are RICH.

Simple.

P.s like to say, If I get even a NEAR perfect rolled legendary or set item. Without a moments notice ill be plugging it up on RMAH for 2 thirds of the perfect rolled one, or if no perfect rolled one exists then full price of what a perfect one would cost.

Items over time will lose their value for 2 reasons.

The game gets older and expac will be available within the year hence people will wait.
    The RMAH will gradually get better items than you have and so your items start losing their worth.

If you sell the first ever perf legendary or set item you are looking at 800+ without a doubt
    If you are selling 1/200 perf legendarys on the market you will get 100 or lower.

Supply and Demand. basic rule of stock markets and auctions.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enlil View Post
    You must of never played D2 my friend, people spent hundreads of dollars on items from ebay and d2jsp.com
    I should know, I made a few thousand myself from ebay sales

This is the world of diablo, its all about the loot and if people can't find gear they want/need, they will buy just like in D2, people go crazy for diablo.
    The top items will have a sale value of hundreads dare I say maybe thousands of dollars, you will not see many "best sword" with a perfect roll on the RMAH with such small drop chance so they will hold there value.

Thats the amazing thing about diablo someone can play for 5 mins and get the best axe in the game, another player can farm for 16hrs with little to show for it on a bad luck day.

Diablo 3 is unlike diablo 2 in many regards.

First : the game is far more streamlined than diablo 2. Skills and Items alike strongly follow guidelines of power distribution.
    there wont be broken skills like static field ; corpse explosion . the same goes for items there wont be build defining attributes and broken affixes like Crushing Blow.

Second: Blizzard regulates and controls the Market. they determine quantity and quality of items ; they set up fees. and believe me there wont be an equivalent to Windforce or Zod.

Third: The Market (RMAH) of Diablo 3 is open, free and Legal , on top of that the playerbase that participates in Item trading will be bigger than anything Diablo2 has ever seen. Blizzard opened the Floodgates with the RMAH whereas d2jsp and ebay sales of duped and botted items is only little muddy poisonous ditch.

I see hundreds of playsers who say they want to make there money back with the rmah (retail price of d3) ; but have you ever seen someone who says ; " I GONNA SPEND HOODLES AMOUNT OF MONEY to buy items " ?

Its like 10000 Lemonade stands participate for a costumer-ship of 500 people ; they'll undercut one another until they hit the sweetspot of the price that Blizzard desires and regulates.

there is more money to be had in 5000x5 dollar transactions (say 1% + 50 cent flat fee)
    than in Items so rare and powerful that they are worth 150 dollar ; but if an item is really that rare and powerful how often you suppose a transaction for it would appear ? 1 time for every 2500x fivedollar transactions ?

You'll see the Diablo 3 market will be nothing like the dupe-, and bot-ridden illegal market that was diablo2.
    i will bookmark this thread for the future "i told you so" effect.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGiant View Post
    Diablo 3 is unlike diablo 2 in many regards.

You'll see the Diablo 3 market will be nothing like the dupe-, and bot-ridden illegal market that was diablo2.
    i will bookmark this thread for the future "i told you so" effect.
    So a very rare perfect rolled item will be worth more this time around because no duping exists. Yes.

IncGamers Member

except that every trader is now a potential buyer and seller and the playerbase will be larger . just because a roll is perfect Item does not mean that the increase in power is sensible especially if you already crafted like 7 other swords which are only like 5% worse.

so yeah i doubt that many people will care worth 100 dollars that their sword has only 254 strength instead of the perfect 271. especially if they already have like 2,5 k strength and those 17 strength are less than 0.1% more dmg.

also we don't know the base price for items. maybe you are right and an items will be worth twice as much as a average roll. but that is more likely a difference on a scale of5-15 dollar. The market will be bigger and prone to inflation ; Items are no Baseball cards - they will never gain value over time. also we dont have to rely on shady sites to determine the price for us ; the market is open to anyone and anonymus ; the prices will fluctuate all the time ; and i say they will do so on a micro-transaction scale. because micro- transactions are the most accessible to the masses and they generate the biggest revenue.

IncGamers Member

I agree with you on most points except near perfects and perfects will be worth alot of money compared to items with only 2 desired stat mods. Micro transactions will be the most profitable, especially in the first month.

List of micro transactions:
    Gold
    materials
    tomes of training
    Gems- could potentially become macro transaction if highest rank gem is hard to get.

these will net alot of money for crazy 16 hr+ day gamers in the first month without even needing a "special" drop.
    after the first month however there will be alot more supply and the prices will stabilize and gradually drop over the year to 1$ for 100k-1mil (depends on gold drop rate) I have started a couple of mmo's from when they first come live and prices for items are stupidly high compared to a year down the road. The drop rates of rares will have to be so low that demand is still there for the supply. If 50 legendarys go up in AH within first week (perf or not) then blizzard will have to change drop percentage VERY quickly.

Blizzard will be watching very closely and adjusting drop rate % of everything from micro to macro.
    They need to get it right very quickly, because if they dont, they have just wasted development time on a useless RMAH.

IncGamers Member

except that legendaries are just uniques ; and not the equivalent to WoW "Legendaries" also you misunderstand the concept of uniques / Legendaries ; they are not by default the strongest weapon in the game because there font is orange - it just means that the item is relevant to lore and has preset affixes and only few random affixes. also why would they need to adjust anyting just because x is available ? having many transactions is in their interest. and if the market is completely saturated they just content patch a new item tier into the game. or maybe its already time for the next expansion then.

i just think that your examples are so very generic and on such a small scale. so maybe there are 50 legendaries up within the first week so what ? what if the demand for legendary items is like 10 billion to achieve a over-saturated market ?

IncGamers Member

Legendarys will have better stat mods than rares, You might get a rare with the same stat mods but not the same + or %'s. A perfect rare will not be as valuable as a perfect legendary. Set items even if not perfect will be sought after because they complete sets what grants insane bonuses. The reason you cant have 50 legendarys go up on AH within first week is because they will devalue quick, If u had 10 billion legendarys on AH and they sell for say 1 dollars each because of devaluation then why should i even bother playing the game once i hit level 60 to get new items? I can just buy my gear set up dirt cheap by the gold and mats iv sold and not even bother ever looking at the AH any more, If everything comes down to a price so low that the only people making money are blizzard, people will not even enjoy item hunting any more. hence blizz will get a nice profit quick but not in the long run and the game population would die off so much before the next expac is even released.

Ofc you might say, why wont you enjoy item hunting anymore? just dont use the ah. Thats exactly what blizzard doesnt want you to do.

BattleTag Eeryck-1961

While I agree with Whitegiant for the most part there are a few things worth considering:

1. There will be many many many people who will put an additional $5 - $10 dollars into the game on a micro transaction basis. My buddy is of the philosophy that if it cost less than his daily coffee he will pay it if it gives him at least that much enjoyment. (So $3 for the enjoyment level of coffee) When you consider that the hours of fun these pixels give, micro transactions will be much more numerous than perhaps the hardcore community is giving them credit for.

2. Even with Blizzard taking their cut, this will lead to a RMAH economy of people who have collected and banked many of these smaller transactions. Because the money is still virtual, they will be more willing to spend it virtually instead of cashing out.

3. The argument for marginal gains is offset by the game difficulty. If Inferno Act 3 and Act 4 do live up to the difficulty hype, the perfect roll will be of very high value, because you are only working on increasing the margins at that point. You have already min/maxed all the easy bits, now all you have left is the marginal increases to max out your killing spead.

4. The item overpopulation argument, I don't think it holds water. There will be a price point in the economy where the "bad" stat items will be of value to a crafter. The crafter will take the bad items out of the economy on the reroll side of the house. So this will create a economy where say 80% perfect to 98% perfect has a market for "character use", 98% to 100% draws a premium for "character use", 60% perfect to 80% perfect items don't sell because they are overpriced. 60% or less sell to crafters. (or something like this) The % values would all change based on market trends.