Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Need help with PC build!

Ok so heres the deal, I recently ordered all my parts on newegg, was all set with what I ordered, and ready to build my first gaming PC(with the help of someone who knows what they're doing). I ordered everything, the only thing that went through was the Corsair Carbide 400r mid-tower gaming case, which is now being shipped. Everything else was on a seperate sub-total, there was a problem with my credit card so I cancelled the order. I'm now considering lowering some of my specs, the total was around $1700 and I'm starting to think there might be some parts I can have changed or get rid of to lower the overall price of my build, and still achieve my ultimate goal of running Diablo 3 at a constant 60 fps in 1920x1080 resolution. Here's where you come in D3 community. If there is anyone out there who has any ideas or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

Here's what I got in my cart so far

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz
    MBD: GigaByte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    HSF: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel
    RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
    SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    OPT: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
    PWR: Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX750 Gold 80 Plus
    FAN: (2) Antec 761345-75026-4 120mm Red LED Case Fan
    MON: ASUS VH232H Black 23in Widescreen 1080p
    MS7: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    CSP: Logitech Z523 40 Watts RMS Speaker System

BattleTag NinjaGhost-1733

Re: Need help with PC build!

If all you need is to play D3 (and no other intense games), you probably don't need to spend more than $900 (depending on what you already have). Depending on your other computer activities, the following suggestions may change.

Quote Originally Posted by mephistos uncle greg View Post
    i5 2500 is the best bang for the buck in terms of a gaming CPU at the moment. Since you don't seem to play other games, an i3 2100 or i5 2400 would also work well. (I have an i5-2400). I'd only get the i5-2500k/2550k (as opposed to the ones without the 'k') if you are planning on overclocking. If you have plans (or want the option) to play future games, go with the i5-2500.

Seems solid if you stick with the i5 cpu. Check the H67 series if you go i3.
    HSF: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel
    Unneeded unless you are overclocking. If you are OC'ing, check out this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
    Seems good with current MoBo
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
    Seems alright with me. I've only researched the AMD line.
    Do you need this much storage? Is the SSD a bootdrive, or is it for SSD caching? If it's just a boot drive, you can make due with a ~64GB. Dunno much about SSD caching.
    PWR: Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX750 Gold 80 Plus
    CSP: Logitech Z523 40 Watts RMS Speaker System
    the rest looks pretty good.

The rest looks okay

BattleTag Brokenstorm-1880

Your GPU is overkill for D3, if you really want to reduce the price start with that.
    You could easily max D3 with a 560 or a 560Ti
    I can run the beta flawlessly @1200p with a 4890.

Pretty much all your parts are good, it's just a bit overkill if you are planning on playing D3 only and no other modern games, but... it seems you really want "constant 60 fps in 1920x1080" in which case, yea I can't garantee it would dever drop below 60fps with something below a GTX570, altought I don't see why it would be a big issue ? So if your goal is to save money, and simply go for the minimum that would allow you to play the game @ max settings between 35-80fps, then the GTX560 would be enough, actually even the GTX460 would be enough.

Otherwise, Buu has some intresting comments, for the cooler I would go for the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus no matter if you are overclocking or not, it's just THAT good for the price. YOur cpu will be much cooler and it will be much quieter than the stock fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Do you need this much storage? Is the SSD a bootdrive, or is it for SSD caching? If it's just a boot drive, you can make due with a ~64GB. Dunno much about SSD caching.
    I think he wants to install everything on that drive, including DIII, and use the green as a storage drive only. If that's the case then 120GB is good, smaller than that it becomes a pain to manage which application you want to install on the SSD or not, I can tell by experience... But again, if you really need to save a few bucks then go for the 64GB and install Windows and DIII only and nothing else.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilitoon View Post
    Pretty much all your parts are good, it's just a bit overkill if you are planning on playing D3 only and no other modern games, but... it seems you really want "constant 60 fps in 1920x1080" in which case, yea I can't garantee it would dever drop below 60fps with something below a GTX570, altought I don't see why it would be a big issue ? So if your goal is to save money, and simply go for the minimum that would allow you to play the game @ max settings between 35-80fps, then the GTX560 would be enough, actually even the GTX460 would be enough.

Otherwise, Buu has some intresting comments, for the cooler I would go for the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus no matter if you are overclocking or not, it's just THAT good for the price. YOur cpu will be much cooler and it will be much quieter than the stock fan.

I think he wants to install everything on that drive, including DIII, and use the green as a storage drive only. If that's the case then 120GB is good, smaller than that it becomes a pain to manage which application you want to install on the SSD or not, I can tell by experience... But again, if you really need to save a few bucks then go for the 64GB and install Windows and DIII only and nothing else.
    switched a few parts already saving some money,

HSF: CM 212 evo (changed)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 ti (changed)
    PWR: Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Silver (changed)
    CSP: Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified (on sale right now for 104.99!!!) (changed)

and thats all i really want to sacrifice, the 2 tb HD is for recording game footage so i dont really want to give it up and its a good deal, the 128 gb will install windows D3 and a few other apps without worrying about space. thanks for the CM 212 suggestion, its got great reviews ! and from what i understand i should be all set to get 60+ fps in 1080 res with the 560 ti , and possibly add another 1 later down the road to get extremely high performance!

the 2 tb HD is for recording game footage so i dont really want to give it up and its a good deal
    Don't directly record your videos on a "Green" drive, it'll be choppy (that's why it's a "good deal").

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Namik-2329

2550k cost more then 2500k for not having integrated GPU. So save your 10$ and get 2500k.

Quote Originally Posted by Namik View Post
    2550k cost more then 2500k for not having integrated GPU. So save your 10$ and get 2500k.
    That 10$ is justified by the additional 100Ghz (3.4Ghz vs 3.3Ghz), it's up to you to determine if it's worth it though... Also in theory the 2550K should be easier to overclock since it doesn't have that integrated graphics, but I currently have not seen any evidences for that so...

Last edited by Tilitoon; 04-04-2012 at 22:21.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Namik-2329

If you plan on OC CPU, what's the point in paying more for 100MHz ?

Quote Originally Posted by Namik View Post
    If you plan on OC CPU, what's the point in paying more for 100MHz ?
    No point. tenchars