Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Thoughts on Haunt and rune options

Previously it had a target limit of 3, not a maximum stack of 3 per target.

Proof that Haunt doesn't stack:

BattleTag pcguy89-1721

In multiplayer games, Haunts from multiple WDs will stack. Haunts cast from the same WD only refresh the duration of Haunt.

That's correct.

I actually think the Resentful Spirit rune for Haunt is going to be kickass :P.

Sure it's less mana-efficient compared to other versions of Haunt, but that's the price you pay for the power to kill things that need dying RIGHT NOW.

Not everything can be kited easily, especially if they have modifiers like Teleporter or Vortex. A pack of three fast-moving Teleporter Unburied will be scary in higher difficulty levels because they already have built-in knockup. Against such enemies, you will want them dead fast.

Possibly more importantly, I like Resentful Spirit because it is a very good way to snipe high-priority targets at long range. Casting a regular Haunt would allow a Tomb Guardian, for example, to live long enough to cast even more skeletons and hurl even more mini-arcane-orbs at you. With Resentful Spirit, you can snipe it much more quickly.

Haunt is interesting in that with MOST of its runes, it becomes a supplementary DoT - it's not going to be killing stuff very fast. What makes it useful is not the damage, but the fact that it provides some sort of additional utility throughout the course of a fight, be it life gain, or mana returned.

@Jaago - you mentioned Hungry Bats. Although we haven't seen the rune in action (besides emulators which are inaccurate), it is my belief (going by the rune description), that the bats seek out the NEAREST enemies, meaning that you have very little control over how your mana gets spent (you can't kill that Tomb Guardian in the back if there are skeletons in your way, for example). Resentful Spirit is good precisely because you can reliably target what needs killing.

Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    @Jaago - you mentioned Hungry Bats. Although we haven't seen the rune in action (besides emulators which are inaccurate), it is my belief (going by the rune description), that the bats seek out the NEAREST enemies, meaning that you have very little control over how your mana gets spent (you can't kill that Tomb Guardian in the back if there are skeletons in your way, for example). Resentful Spirit is good precisely because you can reliably target what needs killing.
    Hmm, that could be true. And if it is so, then Resenful Spirit might have a role to fill, but I still think it needs to be stronger.

I figured you would be able to target with the skill based on the emulator videos, and a comparison to wizard's Snow Blast RoF, which would be very similar in power lever if Hungry bats is targetable. So with these in mind, I thought the bats were just homing to whichever target you selected. It's definitely something to test out later on.

In that emulator video, you also see Dire bats fly off like WHOOOOSH :P. We know that that's not how Dire Bats work, so yeah - I wouldn't trust those videos :P. They show the effect, but don't include information on how the spell really behaves.

I know, but the player is at least able to control the direction the bats start out to. It's just that I'd be really disappointed if it hits random targets as it would not compare with the skills Wizard and Demon Hunter have filling the same purpose.

The "Resentful spirit" rune basicly turns haunt into a primary attack. The tactic is to apply one haunt to 3 different targets and cycle them between enemies. By the time the third haunt hits, the first haunt is 'done' and needs a refresh. This means that it's basically a full time job keeping these spirits up and running, unless of course a target dies, or if you have a very fast attack speed. Then you have time to squeeze in something else from time to time if you want (recommended).

------------------------

The other runes give you a "fire and forget" type spell. Get 3 haunts out as fast as possible in the beginning of a fight and then focus on other attacks throughout the rest of the fight.

It's mana efficient, but you can't really rely on the "fire and forget" haunt to do the majority of damage like with Resentful Spirit.

----------------------

It's nothing more than a perfect example of how runes can completely change the nature of a spell.

Correct.

The problem with Resentful Spirit, though, is just that it's only a good skill against 3-5 scattered monsters, and even then not the best by a fat margin as it should. If there is only one or two enemies, you'd be better off with an instant-damage single target spell, and if multiple enemies are grouped, an AoE spell works better for the mana cost. RS also doesn't provide the advantage of being able to concentrate fire between targets.