Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: MF barbarian?

actually, i was comparing ignore pain to leap/iron impact as a reply to Sooru's idea of using ignore pain.

but if there are increased cc reduction, leap/iron impact looks better on paper then leap/death from above,yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    there are diminishing returns on armor/resistance/dodge
    There are diminishing returns on Armor and Resists only if you look at them as DR. As EHP though, they scale linearly to infinity.

Dodge is a somewhat different beast. Dexterity has 3 breakpoints where it's per point Dodge value diminishes. Still, it's theoretically possible to reach 100% Dodge, as there is no cap on it.

Here's how Dodge scales with Dexterity at the moment at all character levels:

Code:
     Dex Range      Dodge% / Dex

0 -  100         0.1
     100 -  500         0.025
     500 - 1000         0.02
    1000 - 8000         0.01

8000 Dexterity = 100% chance to dodge

well, people generally tend to look at the raw mitigation % numbers instead of EHP.
    it starts to get interesting if you factor in armor, resists and dodge together as total mitigation or even better, total EHP.
    but thanks for the additional clarification

oh, and i am pretty sure dodge from different sources isn't additive but runs through a formula, therefor preventing you to ever reach 100% dodge.

@Cid

We seem to have a different plan on how to use Leap. I think of it more as a way to escape than to enter combat fast. Comparable to how an offensive blink is usually seen as faux pas in SC2. Of course simply jumping into an empty space would often be a waste and in that situation Sprint might be better. My optimal scenario for Leap is to leave a spot with lots of monsters behind and land top of a single, hopefully weak enemy.

In light of that the Launch rune seems interesting, as it's the only one that affects the original location. I agree though that it's hard to go wrong with the armor one since it's a guaranteed effect (if you're gonna be taking damage anyway), unlike the ones that may be diminished by elite monster resistances.

I cannot agree with the 'light on offense' opinion, one generator and one spender should be plenty. The second spender will be in direct conflict with the first one and as such it's addition to dps won't be that great compared to the skill slot it'll take. Or are you referring to some self buffs/something else? ... Revenge and Overpower will definitely be interesting, especially with the heals, but at least personally I find them pretty hard to evaluate at this time.

@Sooru

yes you are absolutly right, i was comparing iron impact/ignore pain with my skillsetup and playstyle in mind, sorry about that.

you were actually thinking of replacing stomp with ignore pain if there are indeed increased cc reductions on higher difficulties, right?

looking at the changes to skills with patch 16, there is a tendency with stunskills: a lot of times, the chances to proc a stun have been increased while at the same time the duration has been decreased.
    that may be an indication that there are no increased cc reductions at higher difficulty levels, cause it would make skills with stuns even less viable later in the game. but thats just pure speculations on my part.
    so just hang on to that ground stomp, i guess thats the best way to find out

overpower: hard to evaluate for me as well, since i have no idea if any attacks that do crits or only crits from overpower itself will have a "chance" to reduce its cooldown. and we still have no information about how that "chance on hit" mechanic actually works.
    in theory, overpower has great potential, probably in your build as well since it is instant extra damage/heal that doesn't hurt your skillrotation and fury management.

revenge: as you get that skill with level 13 i am able to see how it works in the beta environment. proc chances are pretty low i think, especially since mobs have a slow attackspeed and "clumsy" AI to make gaming easy at the start of the game.
    naturally, the more enemies there are, the better the skill gets. it complements my aggressive playstyle and i will use it in my template, but i expect it to become really useful once i get provocation rune slotted (level 52).
    could be a good alternative in your build as well, but to get the maximum effect out of it i would assume you have to like being in the thick of things.

my (softcore) barbarian philosophy:
    while still leveling, i want high mobility and fast killspeed to have a good exp/time factor. i know that there is a thin line where my build will operate at its best, once i step over it i won't have a lot of extra "gimmicks" that will help me get through, so that means i have to repeat some areas till i get better gear or a skillimprovement.
    kiting, escaping and repositioning takes time (as a melee barb) and reduces your killspeed, so instead of grinding through tough content i would rather speedkill easier opponents/areas.
    so i will charge or leap right in the middle of the pack and try to get them down before they kill me, the more enemies the better and hopefully a friendly healing monk and revenge will get me through

once i hit 60 i expect my tactics to change drastically and i will rethink my build and do the necessary changes needed for good nephalem valor gathering and itemhunting, if possible in inferno.

Ah yeah, I was mostly thinking about inferno with hard to kill monsters/groups with the dash in/ignore pain/jump out stuff. While levelling I'll just try to keep my speed up and try out everything, taking pretty glass cannonish approach + I got a pocket healer in my friend's monk if that seems to be useful.