Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

MF barbarian?

just a balanced build that tries to be adaptable to take on everything while adding in the MF with hammer + threat. shout

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...VgP!eYd!ccacbY

don't think phys. damage will be too much of a problem as i got ~40% uptime on 300% armor and threat. shout on anyone within 20 yards, so i took the non. phys damage reduction. bloodthirst seems to be an iffy passive as well.

IncGamers Member

Re: MF barbarian?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Qgi!aZY!YcZZbb

Huge regeneration from health globes.
    Huge amount of base critical damage for damage dealing intents and birthright procs.
    Unbeatable

IncGamers Member

yeah im liking the crit synergy there, ill prob play that up until i need more defence in inferno, but this def has massive clear speed

I'm not convinced that Birthright and Grim Harvest are reasons to roll an MF Barb. They definitely help, but if you like to play a Barb, then they hardly make a difference in my opinion and if you don't, then I think the Monk and DH will be far better for MFing, due to their superior mobility. We'll see.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    I'm not convinced that Birthright and Grim Harvest are reasons to roll an MF Barb. They definitely help, but if you like to play a Barb, then they hardly make a difference in my opinion and if you don't, then I think the Monk and DH will be far better for MFing, due to their superior mobility. We'll see.
    Depends how much mobility matters. The build I suggested has really good survivability as well due to globe spawns and double health gained from such.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Qgi!aZY!YcZZbb

Huge regeneration from health globes.
    Huge amount of base critical damage for damage dealing intents and birthright procs.
    Unbeatable
    I really like the use of "Pound of Flesh". But would going Dual-Wield with Frenzy instead of Bash give you a better advantage to Battlerage (5% globe drop on crit).

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Youngtimer View Post
    I really like the use of "Pound of Flesh". But would going Dual-Wield with Frenzy instead of Bash give you a better advantage to Battlerage (5% globe drop on crit).
    I'll have to see what is better: More fury for more Hammer of the Ancients (bash) or more generator hits (frenzy) for such a purpose? Can't wait to test that out. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    care to elaborate on why you think the monk has superior mobility compared to the barbarian?

Sure. The reason is Dashing Strike and how Spirit works.

The Barb's movement skills have cooldowns, or in the case of Sprint a short duration and a relatively high cost. You can bring all three with you, but that puts quite a limitation on your build. Dashing Strike has none of these issues, except if you want the highest passive Spirit regen possible, more on this later. Dashing Strike's limitations are that it requires a target, a good amount of Spirit and that it can't cross impassable terrain like Leap can.

Finding a target is rarely a problem, especially now that you can dash towards destructibles.

The Spirit cost is a little tricky in the beta, but later we'll have access to items with passive Spirit regen on them. Another good passive source of Spirit is the Circular Breathing rune of Mantra of Healing and the Chant of Resonance passive. Combined, they will give you 5 Spirit per sec, for the cost their skill slots.

Generating Fury for Sprint passively without combat (I'll explain why it could turn out to be a good idea to avoid combat when MFing later) isn't possible for a Barb without Unforgiving, but for this purpose it's a lackluster passive.

Now, the Barb does have the advantage of being able to jump over things and this will most likely make him and the Wizard (because of Teleport) the best MF character in certain areas, probably indoors.

As for why would we want to run around, avoiding enemies when MFing? Elites. Supposedly they are the best source of rare items, so if it's possible to hunt for them efficiently with movement skills or killing normal enemies doesn't worth the time, then the class with the best mobility will win the MF game again, just like in D2, but for different reasons. In this case, I think the Monk or the DH (because of Vault) will be the best choice most of the time. If hunting strictly for Elites isn't feasible or a it's waste of good drop opportunities, then I think that all classes will be about equally good for MF runs.

Last edited by HardRock; 04-04-2012 at 22:10.

thanks for explaining

i am an advocate for high mobility chars myself (because of general leveling speed increase and elite hunting for nephalem buff), so i am still trying to figure out which char to pick as a first (mf) class.
    at the moment, i am leaning towards barbarian, the other choices would be wizard or demonhunter.

for some reason, i don't like the monks dashing strike mechanics cause it feels rather limiting to always look for that mob/destructible to port to.
    5 spirit per second is one free dashing strike every 5 secs, which doesn't feel like a lot to me considering the fact that it uses up one skill slot and one passive slot, but as you already mentioned you might be able to push that regeneration value a lot with gear.

i am not sure how fist of thunder with thunderclap rune works and if there are some range limitations on that skill and if "target" means only mobs or mobs and destructibles, but if it works like dashing strike the monk would be the best mobility class hands down.

as far as i know, there is no class at the moment that could use their movementpower without limits, sooner or later you just have to wait for passive regeneration or attack some mobs in between.

same with DH vault: at some point you have to use multishot/supression to regain discipline.
    the only exeption would be if the wizard teleport with wormhole resets the 1 sec after each teleport cast, which doesn't seem to be the case.

and now the barbarian:
    for my build idea, i wouldn't us Unforgiving, its effect is just too weak in my opinion.
    at the moment i am thinking about a build that only uses sprint as a fury spender and use Berserker Rage as a passive for increased 25% damage at maximum fury.
    also, i would try go with all 3 movement powers, leap (iron impact)-sprint (marathon rune)-furious charge (merciless assault).
    deliberate use of furious charge on big mobpacks should help generate fury along with leap to keep sprint available when there are no mobs around and if at some point i am out of fury i just have use my generator stles, just like any other mobility class as well (in this case monk and dh).

well, it is just an idea and i guess i will find out how it works out comes release

edit. oh damn, i forgot about dashing strike and quicksilver rune, thats only 10 spirit then. hmm maybe it is possible to have dashing strike permanently available, 5 spirit regeneration from gear seems highly probable.

Last edited by Cid; 04-04-2012 at 21:10.