Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D2 vs D3

IncGamers Member

Re: D2 vs D3

I tried the D3 beta several times and frankly just couldnt get into it. I would rather play D2 over D3 honestly. Fortunately I dont need to buy D3 since I have the WOW annual pass.

IncGamers Member

Same here. I'm more excited about the D2 ladder reset than D3 coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Diablo 3 is to Diablo 2 as Civ V is to Civ IV

or if you don't play strategy games...

Diablo 3 is to Diablo 2 as WoW is to Everquest.

None of the above has any statement of right or wrong or good or bad. It's just a different approach. It's more accessible versus more depth/difficulty.

ALL THAT SAID, that's just an opinion formed after playing like 12-13 levels multiple times. But, I feel fairly confident that that appraisal will bear out based on what I've seen.
    More depth/difficulty might not be the correct term here imo. Honestly I can see a lot of depth in D3. One reason being from my understanding (albeit limited), skills in D3 will scale with you much better than D2. In other words you will have many more options to choose from in terms of skills or builds if you like. This alone would create more depth to how many viable skills you have at end game.

Sure D2 has a plethora of skills that are viable through normal and nightmare, and that even works in hell if you have the patience. And by all means they can be a ton of fun to play, maybe even more so than cookie-cutter builds. However those builds would be exceptionally more fun to play if they actually could perform in hell difficulty.

On another note, I don't understand the difficulty comment? What was difficult about normal act 1 D2? Not much, if anything at all. Ofc for a completely new player, they might still die, and probably did to the act boss. I'd consider myself a pretty good D2 player, but I still managed to die in the D3 beta. Happened once because I refused to equip a weapon on my wizard that wasn't a wand/staff, and another out of sheer stubborness and stupidity. From 30 hours of open D3 beta experience, I can honestly say (imo) that the game doesn't feel much easier nor more difficult than D2 was. The big difference is that it's more friendly in terms of making misstakes. Imo a good thing, since I can now focus on actually experimenting with skills without lvling a new character.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Member

I'll add my two cents.

Quick backdrop: I played the crap out of D2 on Battle.net back in the launch days. Had a lvl 98 sorceress, 80 barb, and a few others. I haven't played in about 8 years.

I played the D3 beta without retrying D2. I felt initially that the game was slower, more cartoony, and honestly just felt more like Fate than D2. Additionally, several drastic changes bug me. The lack of mana pots, the cooldown on health pots, the stacking of health pots, and the overall lack of skill and stat trees are big quirks if you ask me. Regardless, I played and enjoyed the D3 beta all the way up to lvl 13 with most of the characters.

After the beta ended, I reinstalled D2 for a 2nd take. I'm sorry, but this game simply still blows D3 out of the water. Graphics aside (and I prefer pixelated gory 2D to World of Diablocraft cartoon 3D), this game still outperforms D3 in audio, atmosphere, customization, and overall "hook".

D3 is simply not anything like D2. Gone are the skill trees, stat customization (leading to gear customization), and overall macabre feel. It is replaced with a sub-par leveling system, simplified questing and inventory/potion system, and an overall non-scary feel. Feel free to rebute, but I'll take a Necro or an Assassin over the Witch Doctor any day.

IncGamers Member

Not to double post intentionally, but one additional major point. Not at once did I feel in the D3 beta that my Hardcore character was in danger. The game simply doesn't award or punish the user's clicking accuracy/speed as much as D2. It's almost sad considering that D2 ran at 25 FPS.

IncGamers Member

I think the main problem is that almost all if not all the D2 devs are no longer with Blizzard. And the fact it took SO long to come out with a D3 game, has hurt it. Its very unfortunate to say the least.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Quote Originally Posted by NWSW View Post
    Not to double post intentionally, but one additional major point. Not at once did I feel in the D3 beta that my Hardcore character was in danger. The game simply doesn't award or punish the user's clicking accuracy/speed as much as D2. It's almost sad considering that D2 ran at 25 FPS.
    Just a quick reply to this in particular: Blizzard has stated numerous times that Normal difficulty is supposed to be a newcomer-friendly environment and a practice run for veterans. Apart from that, you are talking about the beta... Where in D2 did you feel threatened below level 13? The beta is hardly representative for the entire game what difficulty concerns.

That said, I think making a comparison between D2 and D3 to decide which one is best is comparing apples and oranges. The first reply in this thread, by TT, nailed it pretty much on the head for me: I can't just dish D2 because of nostalgia, but if I have to be completely honest, D3 solved many flaws that still remained in D2. So for me it's the same answer: D3 because it's new, D2 because... well, because it's D2.

I honestly think we should stop comparing the two, as it has led to more nerdrage, insults and consequent bans than any other subject on this forum (apart maybe from the legendary maphack threads in the early days). They are two different games made by two different teams.

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

Agreed, they are totally different games and everyone's opinion will be different on which is better based on your own particular preferences.

If you are more into console games, and I DON'T mean this in an insulting way because you have a busy life and want to sit down and be able to finish a game in less than 6 weeks without having to research builds and so forth (assuming you're really into it), then D3 is your game.

If you deeply love a game that is almost ridiculously detailed in terms of customization but can be very time consuming, you MIGHT prefer D2.

I personally fall into camp 2, but I have no problems with anyone that falls into camp 1. That's all it takes. An understanding that just because someone feels differently than you, your manhood isn't threatened and there's no need for this thread to dissolve into the usual rubbish.

I look forward to playing both games in the future. But, I expect to be playing D2 from time to time 5 years from now.

Edit: I do however, completely disagree that it "solved" any problems of D2. It created problems D2 never imagined. But, that's what I mean. One man's garbage is another man's treasure, and it works both ways.

IncGamers Member

You know that is an interesting point the last two posters have made, about D2 and D3 not being apples to apples. It rings very true. Besides the genre, the name, and one character class, they actually do not have a whole lot in common (aside from some lore and spell names). I think that is what is leading to my cognitive dissonance with the latest entry in the franchise. It's like they took grandmas recipe for chocolate cake and "improved" it. Except now it's frozen yogurt, which is good, but its not chocolate cake.

BattleTag PhoenixQE

Quote Originally Posted by wrxwagon View Post
    Same here. I'm more excited about the D2 ladder reset than D3 coming out.
    Me too. (:

On the D2/D3 debate - I'm a huge fan of D2, so I'm tempted to lean more towards it... but I want to give D3 a chance and play the full version before I start comparing. I don't know. I'll probably just keep playing both. (: