Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Adult-1709

Payload Barb [Theory Craft]

Hey, this is a TheoryCraft build centered around %Damage buffs and Earthquake. The idea of the build is to activate as many %damage buffs, corral a decent stack of demons, and drop a huge Earthquake on them. I don't think it will be a dominating solo build, perhaps decent if a little dangerous/slow. I do however think it has potential for group play, and could possibly be a sick Nephalem Valor farming build.

us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhekRg!gXS!cZYYcb

At the core of things are Earthquake, Battle Rage(Marauder's Rage), Berserker's Rage, Brawler and a beefy weapon(what barb build would be completely with out one of those!). So for the sake of framing and also so someone who understands the math behind damage can come and critique this, let's give ourselves a 500 DPS weapon with 1APS. Decent, not completely ideal, but certainly easy math!

So (I hope) damage for Earthquake with a full stack of %damage buffs comes out like:

Actual damage = 500 * 20 * 2.11 = 21100/8 seconds (~2638DPS)

I am no expert on how the damage formula works, how STR factors into this, and exactly how the %damage buffs work. I am mostly just interested in seeing the 2000% weapon damage of Earthquake buffed up huge. Even if bonuses are additive, resulting in 20 * 1.85 instead of 20 * 2.11, I still think this is pretty strong.

So what about the rest of the skills? I'll go into them, and provided Earthquake and %damage have synergy like I am assuming, most of the TheoryCrafting/improving/critique should be directed at these!

Cleave (Gathering Storm):
    Since this build invites/demands both rage generation and at least a few demons right up in the barbs face I'm including this skill mostly as utility. The short duration snare is equal parts escape, setup and tempo depending on how much danger you are in.

Furious Charge (Merciless Assault):
    Main uses I see for Merciless Assault FC here are breaking up really dangerous packs with the knockback and finishing/escaping after dropping a Payload. Obviously as a rage generator it's useful, and Merciless Assault is chosen over other runes since after a Payload is dropped, or while getting to max Fury, or just if things are scary as hell the shorter cooldown will allow better tempo control.

Revenge (Provocation):
    I originally had Best Served Cold here, but Dots (and thus Earthquake?) don't crit, apparently. Provocation provides the highest chance you'll get to activate revenge, which is nice for damage but really more about getting some mitigation from the %life gain per target hit. If Revenge is limited to PPM then I would say Vengeance is Mine is completely superior.

Ancient Spear (Harpoon):
    Fury and setup. Pretty much useful to activate Brawler, Berserker Rage, and then drop the Payload. Not much utility here, but it'll shine for cherry picking demons that need to get the quakes.

Boon of Bul-Kathos (Passive):
    Questionable? With the gimmick/joy of this build being dropping huge Earthquakes, this passive lets you do that 21% more. Or with The Mountain's Call Earthquake, it lets you do it 24% more. Yay.

Things other classes can do that have really great synergy with this:

Monk
    - Breaking Wave Crippling Wave (10% more damage, melee cone)
    - Forbidden Palace Inner Sanctuary (10% more damage, a little tricky to use?)
    - Exploding Palm The Flesh is Weak (12% more damage on single target)
    - Cyclone Strike (pulls in dudes so you can drop a Payload, very situational)
    - Overawe Mantra of Conviction (24-48% more damage, this can be a huge boon to a Payload)
    - Guiding Light (passive, 16% more damage)

Witch Doctor
    - Jinx Hex (20% more damage, a bit random?)
    - Paranoia Mass Confusion (20% more damage)
    - Big Bad Voodoo Slam Dance (30% more damage)

Demon Hunter
    - Bait The Trap Caltrops (10% crit, very situation/useless)
    - Valley of Death (aoe 12% more damage)

Wizard
    - Slow Time Time Warp (20% more damage in AoE)

Last edited by Adult; 30-03-2012 at 18:33.

Re: Payload Barb [Theory Craft]

Short comments only

1. If the setup is Harpoon, I wonder whether Harpoon drags back ALL the monsters in a pack. The tooltip says it will drag back all monsters in a straight line but obviously a pack of monsters aint gonna line up in a straight line for you. If you only drag back some monsters but not the rest, then you are just wasting more time in having to corral the two groups back together in a pack for your payload.

2. Lots of damage buffs, no cc, stun, or defensive/mitigating abilities at all. Glass Barb?

3. Furious Charge is odd in this build. Its not your opener/setup, but more a escaper after you unloaded the Earthquake. But remember Earthquake has no stun effect so if you run, the mobs are just gonna run after you and move out of the effect area of the Earthquake. You will need to stand your ground and hold aggro right in the middle of the Earthquake to maximize your 2000%.... but then again that is a problem cos you have no defensive/mitigating abilities.

And based on latest information, Dots don't crit.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Adult-1709

Cleave has a snare, Furious Charge is an escape, and Revenge is mitigation through life gain. I really don't think this is an ideal (or even viable) build to solo hell with, in preparation for Inferno, but rather one that will be effective the more the team is based around buffing everyone's damage to aoe nuke down packs of champions.

Merciless Furious Charge, in addition to being a viable escape/positioning move, can be pretty good damage after you drop the payload. 400% weapon damage with a fair bit of AoE is pretty good. Unlike Sprint or Leap Attack, you can use it to both get away and deal damage at the same time. hitting 4 or more enemies makes the cooldown super short, and hit and run dps becomes a possibility. The best form of mitigation is not getting hit at all, right?

Ancient Spear is to make sure you have brawler active, since I've heard the 8 yards it requires to turn on is pretty much mobs hugging you. On top of that, it's a way to pull key targets who are outside earthquake, your brawler-zone or just behind a ton of mobs. Here is a crude diagram of 2 situations it could be useful. B1 and B2 represent the Barbarians position as he encounters the mobs and reacts to their position, respectively. The purple dude is like a really badass demon or something with archer/ranged AI. Green is the line for the harpoon.

ancient spear positioning.jpg

I am going to change the Revenge rune to something else since dots can't crit. At the core of this build is simply Earthquake and the %damage buffs. The other 4 skills can completely change based on your group's synergy, and these one's I have selected are ones I feel would let you play with random people and have all the tools you need to pull off sick Payloads and decent DPS during the cooldown.

An example group that might use this to farm champion packs in Inferno might be 2 Payload barbs (if Earthquakes can stack), a healing/buffing/tanking Monk, and a CC/Buff/Utility Witch Doctor. Or switch out the WD/2nd barb for an AoE focused or ST focused Wizard with TimeWarp. Probably no room for demon hunters, heh heh heh...