Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BattleTag Chaboi-1594

The 680 debate

My computer is completely stacked for D3, except for the video card. I have a GTX 470 that can run D3 at max settings and SC2 at max settings simultaneously while maintaining 60 FPS. The issue, however, is that even when running only diablo the card gets upwards of 70c and I have to have the fan at 80% to keep it at 70c.

The fan is SOOOO LOUD, seriously, it can be heard across the house. I know it's more of a luxury, but do you think it's worth it to upgrade to the 680 for the quietness?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Namik-2329

Re: The 680 debate

The old Fermi 470/480 are known for high temps and laudness.

It all depends how much you value quietness. If you now upgrade to GTX680 you will have it for years (since new consoles won't come out at least until 4th quarter 2013). If you have the money I would say, yes. But for sake of any gods you belive, never buy referent cards. Ever. Go with Gigabyte/Asus/MSI etc., at least those 3 have always far superior cooling systems then standard NVidia (or AMD) version. Unless you want to just go WC.

The problem is that, right now all manufacturers use standard cooling on GTX680. For example, Gigabyte hasn't made 680 with their Windforce 3 colling system yet. You can always switch to 580 if you want to switch it as soon as possible, it will be more then enough for years also, and later on you can buy second one for SLI.

You might want to use this cooler : Accelero Xtreme III VGA Cooler. It seems you might need the VRM heatsinks tough (shame on you for buying the 470 ).

IncGamers Member

I don't know if you play other games, but a 680 would be COMPLETE overkill for SC2/D3.

The cards available right now are not exactly quiet under load either.

I'd suggest you save a lot of money and just get an aftermarket VGA cooler like Tilitoon suggested.

Or you could also get this :
    Ek 470GTX

And this :
    XSPC Reservoir Laing DDC Top Combo

And this :
    DDC Pump

And this:
    2x120mm Radiator

And this:
    2x Noctua NF-F12 fans

Your GPU won't get higher than 45 degrees at full load and it'll be super quiet.

Banned

Are there any water cooling systems that can connect to both your CPU and GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by mike20599 View Post
    Are there any water cooling systems that can connect to both your CPU and GPU?
    Add a CPU waterblock to my list and add 1 or 2x120mm radiator and you will be set

BattleTag Halfsoul-2361

Chaboi maybe getting a new case would be a solution for you.

I.e. Antec specializes in quiet computing. I have an Antec p183 myself with a lot of cooling, but I almost canīt hear anything since itīs got layers of alluminium and plastic.

itīs also a really pretty minimalistic design apart from the p193. The only negative thing about it, is that itīs pretty heavy. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out for you :-)

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgwOA==

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Namik-2329

Your case would have to be like bunker to silence 470, especialy if it's referent. Of course, good case can help (like my Fractal Design R3), but the problem is that GTX470 is just too loud.
    My PC is on my desk, like 30cm away from me and I can't hear my Gigabyte GTX460. Unless I play THe Witcher 2, then my card get's a bit loud, but still, I can't hear it from like 3meters away.