Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    IncGamers Member

Re: Missing Spell Information

Quote Originally Posted by melianor View Post
    "Whenever you deal damage." - If a spell hits a target and then actually deals damage, then your wizard gains 4 HP. This has nothing to do with "per cast". Just deal damage and you gain 4 AP!

Shock pulse with 3 hits that deal damage will give you 12 AP. This is not actually about hits, but dealing damage.

About the other spells i have no definite answer.
    If this is the case, then Electrocute + Chain Lightning is the clear winner here in terms of AP regen? 6*4 = 24 AP per cast? Seems excessive to me.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by xSixCHeeSY View Post
    If this is the case, then Electrocute + Chain Lightning is the clear winner here in terms of AP regen? 6*4 = 24 AP per cast? Seems excessive to me.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that it can only work once, no matter how many instances of damage you deal, as long as you deal at least once. Otherwise, AP generators with an aoe element to them would quickly overwhelm, say, magic missiles.

Yet another problem with their tooltips..."when you deal damage" is ambiguous. I always interpreted it so that you generate 4 AP per use of a spell given that it connects with at least one enemy. So you couldn't just spam shock pulses at barrels to generate AP like the barb generates fury. But you really can't tell what they mean, so I might be wrong.

I don't see it being per hit because charged blast, seeker, and other single target signatures (mainly magic missile rune variants) would be worthless with prodigy. Could be by design, but I doubt it.

Going back to some of the early posts; we'll try to assemble info of this sort on every skill (and everythign else) on teh wiki pages. Maybe some of that in DiabloNut as well, but that's more for the DB, right from the game code stuff. Extra info and strategic advice and such fits better in the wiki format. Obviously we'll be doing a ton of updates to those pages post-launch, as you guys test out skills and find all the infos.

--Flux
    The Diablo 1, 2, & 3 Wiki! (Under construction.)

What I've been dying to know for the longest time is whether or not stationary DoTs stack unless noted otherwise (a la Blizzard). Did the mechanics that made Firewall a powerful spell in the previous games carry over into d3?

I can see why Blizzard won't stack, especially with the Snowbound rune (cost reduced to 20 AP), but how about Venom & Mammoth Hydra? Energy Twister behaves similarly and does stack, but then again, it moves and is unpredictable - difficult to control. The only other easily stackable (and seemingly OP) stationary DoT I can think of across all classes is Caltrops with Jagged Spikes (45% wpn dmg, 6 Discipline).

I guess I'll simply have to assume it's a mix-and-match depending on the skill... But it would be nice if the disclaimer for the Blizzard skill was always noted where appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Razehel View Post
    What I've been dying to know for the longest time is whether or not stationary DoTs stack
    I don't think they do. Plagued and Desecrator Elites have such attacks, but if I remember correctly I never took more damage from them when they cast more over one area. It's possible that I'm wrong about this and player skills may work otherwise.

unless noted otherwise (a la Blizzard).
    The fact that this was made explicit in Blizzard's tooltip is one reason why I think Blizzard isn't DoT. The second reason is that in the official skill demonstration video the black, Scavenger-type monsters didn't die at the same time when Blizzard was used against them. Finally, when I tried it with the emulator it did seem to work similarly to the D2 version of the skill.

how about Venom & Mammoth Hydra?
    The reason why I think that the damage of these Hydras won't stack is that it would make them reasonably effective against single targets, which is a scenario that the devs probably don't want them to be good for.

The only other easily stackable (and seemingly OP) stationary DoT I can think of across all classes is Caltrops with Jagged Spikes (45% wpn dmg, 6 Discipline).
    What makes you think Jagged Spikes is a DoT? There's nothing in its tooltip to suggest that. I think it's just an instant damage that's dealt when the trap is sprung. It changes Caltrops into a weaker Spike Trap with a larger range that will slow enemies and which uses your Discipline.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/info, HardRock, you made excellent points. I went back to take a look at Jagged Spikes and I see what you're saying now... Perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part, but the lack of "when the trap is sprung..." led me to believe the damage was a constant effect rather than a one-time effect occurring only when the trap is triggered.

BattleTag melianor-2318

Quote Originally Posted by Elfik View Post
    Yet another problem with their tooltips..."when you deal damage" is ambiguous. I always interpreted it so that you generate 4 AP per use of a spell given that it connects with at least one enemy. So you couldn't just spam shock pulses at barrels to generate AP like the barb generates fury. But you really can't tell what they mean, so I might be wrong.

I don't see it being per hit because charged blast, seeker, and other single target signatures (mainly magic missile rune variants) would be worthless with prodigy. Could be by design, but I doubt it.

Yes Elfik, it does sound totally ambiguous. This could also mean "when you deal damage with that spell once, like on the first hit, which would then ofcourse diminish the amount of AP returned drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Going back to some of the early posts; we'll try to assemble info of this sort on every skill (and everythign else) on teh wiki pages. Maybe some of that in DiabloNut as well, but that's more for the DB, right from the game code stuff. Extra info and strategic advice and such fits better in the wiki format. Obviously we'll be doing a ton of updates to those pages post-launch, as you guys test out skills and find all the infos.
    Wiki will go haywire with all the hidden information and this extra information will certainly be something we need to build on when situations get sticky and ofcourse regarding teamplay as well, like what kind of effects do stack or cancel each other.