Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: How Will Botting Effect the Economy

I was pretty sure WoW used Warden...

In any case, botting in WoW is definitely quite a lot easier than botting in D3. Farming in WoW is basically the act of performing a very easy and boring task over and over. The task is boring to prevent people from doing it more than they really need to, and pay gold to buy items from those who farmed them. Being a good player with good gear may help your farming speed, but not too much. Farming in D3, on the other hand, is doing the most challenging content you can with as much MF/GF as you can as effectively as you can without dying. Being a good player with good gear will have a very significant effect on your ability to farm in D3. Bots won't be farming end-game items in D3. At most they'll be farming gold, upgrade-able crafting mats and low quality gems.

That said, no matter how difficult botting in D3 is, it will still be a problem if botters can get away with it. Not as big of a problem as it is in WoW, because they won't be able to farm nearly as much (compared to what they can in WoW when you normalized it relative to what a normal player would farm), but still potentially enough to greatly increase the availability of gold (and maybe commodities?) compared to what it should be. Killing stuff in normal/nightmare difficulty may suck for farming, but doing it 24/7 might still be much better than farming hell/inferno for 1 hour a day by a normal player.

In the end, how much bots will ruin the game will depend on how hard it is to make efficient bots (aka game difficulty) and how often they get banned. If botters can't make 60$ before they get their account banned, they'll simply stop botting altogether. I guess we'll have to wait and see how good Blizzard will be at banning the bots.

Keep in mind that in WoW I'm pretty sure the botting farms and the likes get their accounts banned on a regular basis. There's a reason they try to rent accounts from people who no longer play and "guarantee" that they won't get banned (offering an alternative account in case of a ban), instead of buying accounts or leveling new characters on newly-bought copies. They need the bot to make more money than what they pay for the game, and if the bot gets banned too quickly and they invested too much in the account, it simply isn't worth it.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smips View Post
    I think that duping was by far the greater evil in destroying the D1 and D2 economies. As long as duping remains impossible, I don't think botting will ruin the AH in D3. This does hinge on botting in Inferno being (at the very least) extremely difficult though.
    Botting is easier than actually playing. A bot will always react appropriately and accurately, people do not.

Awaiting user confirming email address

Quote Originally Posted by galzohar View Post
    I was pretty sure WoW used Warden...

In any case, botting in WoW is definitely quite a lot easier than botting in D3. Farming in WoW is basically the act of performing a very easy and boring task over and over. The task is boring to prevent people from doing it more than they really need to, and pay gold to buy items from those who farmed them. Being a good player with good gear may help your farming speed, but not too much. Farming in D3, on the other hand, is doing the most challenging content you can with as much MF/GF as you can as effectively as you can without dying. Being a good player with good gear will have a very significant effect on your ability to farm in D3. Bots won't be farming end-game items in D3. At most they'll be farming gold, upgrade-able crafting mats and low quality gems.

That said, no matter how difficult botting in D3 is, it will still be a problem if botters can get away with it. Not as big of a problem as it is in WoW, because they won't be able to farm nearly as much (compared to what they can in WoW when you normalized it relative to what a normal player would farm), but still potentially enough to greatly increase the availability of gold (and maybe commodities?) compared to what it should be. Killing stuff in normal/nightmare difficulty may suck for farming, but doing it 24/7 might still be much better than farming hell/inferno for 1 hour a day by a normal player.

In the end, how much bots will ruin the game will depend on how hard it is to make efficient bots (aka game difficulty) and how often they get banned. If botters can't make 60$ before they get their account banned, they'll simply stop botting altogether. I guess we'll have to wait and see how good Blizzard will be at banning the bots.

Keep in mind that in WoW I'm pretty sure the botting farms and the likes get their accounts banned on a regular basis. There's a reason they try to rent accounts from people who no longer play and "guarantee" that they won't get banned (offering an alternative account in case of a ban), instead of buying accounts or leveling new characters on newly-bought copies. They need the bot to make more money than what they pay for the game, and if the bot gets banned too quickly and they invested too much in the account, it simply isn't worth it.

I hope your right, It just annoys the f*uck out of me in regard to the whole botting thing.
    The game will be so much fun with all the players on a lvl playing field as far as the market goes, those players that can farm efficiently and have a good amount of decent stuff should be rewarded for there time and effort.

I just hop Blizzard comes down on botters hard, kicks some arse's and bans them all. Why is it every video game has to have spotty hacker nerds trying to ruin the game for everyone.

Thats why I play startcraft 2, at least its fair and you can't cheat, it feels good to work hard get a win or real money in the case of D3 lol

IncGamers Member

A few facts:

- Warden *will* be circumvented at some point. Blizz haven't been able to defeat bots on WoW after all this time, why would they be able to do so in D3?
    - Botters don't on the whole have to worry about the $60 "return on investment" because on the evidence of WoW, most botting (by far) is done with hacked, stolen accounts.
    - Blizz have a few advantages in D3 over WoW, as I see them (am I wrong?):
    * Maps and mobs are randomised, meaning that dumb pathing bots which can just walk in circles in WoW, killing hundreds of respawning mobs, just won't cut it in D3.
    * Once you've cleaned out a game session, you'll have to exit the game and create a new one. This isn't of itself difficult but will create patterns of behaviour more easily spotted by Blizz.

IncGamers Member

Oups, i need to write very few words, so some people don't stop reading after 2 sentences.

Ok, there will be NO bots in Diablo 3.Not even one.

Happy with the above ? You have to beleive me.No need to prove or try to prove why there will be no bots in D3, because will be to long, and some might get bored.So, just beleive me .

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeski View Post
    A few facts:

- Warden *will* be circumvented at some point. Blizz haven't been able to defeat bots on WoW after all this time, why would they be able to do so in D3?
    - Botters don't on the whole have to worry about the $60 "return on investment" because on the evidence of WoW, most botting (by far) is done with hacked, stolen accounts.
    - Blizz have a few advantages in D3 over WoW, as I see them (am I wrong?):
    * Maps and mobs are randomised, meaning that dumb pathing bots which can just walk in circles in WoW, killing hundreds of respawning mobs, just won't cut it in D3.
    * Once you've cleaned out a game session, you'll have to exit the game and create a new one. This isn't of itself difficult but will create patterns of behaviour more easily spotted by Blizz.
    Blizzard have a far greater intrest in keeping D3 bot free than wow, one the main reasons is commodities. As blizzards take is 15% it is in there best interest to see the commodities market is not flooded by millions of gold,gems,mats from bots. This will drive down the price and blizzards take will be far smaller, make no mistake Blizzard will do whatever it takes to maximise profits and they have some very smart techincal and finance people working for them.

Anything that costs them money will be delt with.

Quote Originally Posted by semakka View Post
    Oups, i need to write very few words, so some people don't stop reading after 2 sentences.

Ok, there will be NO bots in Diablo 3.Not even one.

Happy with the above ? You have to beleive me.No need to prove or try to prove why there will be no bots in D3, because will be to long, and some might get bored.So, just beleive me .
    This coming from the person that said ""Now, the gold in RMAH cannot be listed for less than 1,5 $ / auction made" ROFL Gets your facts right, before writing long meaningless posts LOL @ U

No, thats more than two sentences, didn't read the ending. I only read two sentences if its your posts xD

Last edited by Enlil; 26-04-2012 at 16:21.

BattleTag ADJMan-1164

I am quite certain that there are coders making bots for D3 right now, using the beta. I am also quite sure that Blizzard does have some sort of warden running but not actually doing anything but learning what bots are doing. I bet once D3 launches within 1-day to 1-week we will see hordes of bans happening due to Warden catching all of those bots. It's a win-win for Blizz if they play it like this, since they will know what the bots are doing and be able to stop them once the game launches keeping the economy mostly intact, and they will also have all those sales from the people who purchased the game to run bots.

If the Bot makers were smart, they would strike a deal with Blizzard allowing them to make the bot and sell it, while giving all of the code to Blizzard as to make Warden better. Then since the Bot makers are mostly in it for the coding enjoyment, they could figure out how to make their bot better, sell it again and then give Blizzard the code to make Warden better. Creating a never ending cycle of bot makers who are happy, bot users who get banned, and Blizzard making Warden better to keep the player economy intact.

That's not a motto, that's... that's just you saying a bunch of things.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enlil View Post
    This coming from the person that said ""Now, the gold in RMAH cannot be listed for less than 1,5 $ / auction made" ROFL Gets your facts right, before writing long meaningless posts LOL @ U

No, thats more than two sentences, didn't read the ending. I only read two sentences if its your posts xD
    Yep, i admit that i am wrong, but nothing changes.1,5 $ or 1 $ is the same in the big picture.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by MustBHacks View Post
    Botting is easier than actually playing. A bot will always react appropriately and accurately, people do not.
    A bot is limited exclusively to what its programmed to do by a human being. But then without the split second intuitivism a player can bring to the table. And not accounting for software bugs and errors and flawed scripting. A bot will always have a way larger safety marge to adjust for the limits its coded with and thus much less bandwidth to farm within. What makes a bott so effective is that its linear scalable into more bots and they can run 24/7 without dying of boredom. However Blizzard has some convincing arguments that D3 shows better resilience against botting. Probably more than any game till date. People will try and program bots. People will try and bot. Botts will be able to bott for gold and roam the sub inferno difficulties until banned. I Genuine believe that inferno will be free of botts for a long time.

Also for the people who say:
    WoW and D3 both use warden
    WoW has botts therefore D3 will have botts as well

Do we actually know that these two wardens are the exact same thing? Donít you think that Blizz has understood by now which flaws are deep within the design and code of wow that makes botting possible? I think Blizzard has anticipated all this in advance. For all we know the D3 design and code has been way more optimized to work with warden like software. This means that the D3 warden could be a way more advanced piece of software then its WoW counterpart simply because D3 alows this improved complexity. Off course its always a cat and mouse game between Blizz and the bott creators. But I would not go so far as to say: "WoW has botts therefore D3 has botts."
    I think botting will be hard within the game mechanics of D3. I think successful botting will require newly written botts with new exploit mechanics and perhaps even a different mindset by the people who create them. And after all that it will then take time for botting to become commercially viable: successful inferno botting + accounts that get not banned within the return of investement period.

Just my 2 cents