Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IncGamers Member

Re: Attack speed analysis

I mean, it's obvious that having 2 generators isn't really optimal (the same is true for every class); so then, is it more beneficial to go for a generator that is single target, and rely on spirit for aoe damage, or the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    I mean, it's obvious that having 2 generators isn't really optimal (the same is true for every class)
    You are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementEight View Post
    I mean, it's obvious that having 2 generators isn't really optimal (the same is true for every class); so then, is it more beneficial to go for a generator that is single target, and rely on spirit for aoe damage, or the other way around?
    I don't see anything wrong with two generators, and if your build focuses on Combination Strike it's imperative. For me, I'm trying to not over-complicate things, and I feel that if too many generators are part of my build it might distract me from using other situational skills like 7SS, Dashing Strike, or perhaps healing/defense. Using multiple generators is a personal choice I think, based on how you like to play.

In determining where to have your single target attacks relative to AoE attacks, I've decided on the CW/SW/7SS build which could all be considered AoE in a sense (even though 7SS can be a useful single target damage skill). My reasoning is that I think (with no real info to back up this hunch) that Blizzard wants us to utilize health globe drops over potions. If I'm right, then I expect that most bosses/unique sub-bosses are going to summon allies in, in order to give us opportunities to spawn health globes. If that is the case, a generator/spender combo like CW/SW will give me the ability to handle the adds without too much extra strategy involved. The only issue I see in my build for adds is that if I pop a 7SS when the adds arrive I won't be able to focus that damage on the boss as the adds will dilute it.

Considering all of that, if you find you are really concerned about pure single target damage, I would personally focus it on your "big spirit spender" rather than on your "primary/secondary generator/spender" basic attack. Try to save that high cost 7SS, Pillar, etc for the boss/unique/champion leader would be my vote.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhwip View Post
    You are wrong.
    You have 94 posts here, at least half of which include unsupported one liners, which is annoying. Can you stop or take steps to improve that behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Torr View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with two generators,
    The question here is "can a generator do something as well or better than spirit spenders (taking the fact that they're free into account)?". If the answer is an overwhelming "yes!", then there's little point in having offensive spirit spenders. If the answer is "no", then you probably want to have as few generators as possible, use them as little as possible (enough to generate the necessary spirit for your spenders, no more).

and if your build focuses on Combination Strike it's imperative.
    Does 8% per generator make up for the potential loss of damage or utility that bringing one-two-three less spenders might incur? We will see.

Using multiple generators is a personal choice I think, based on how you like to play.
    Certainly, but I like min-maxing. In that spirit, do you believe that more than one generator may be somewhat of a waste?

In determining where to have your single target attacks relative to AoE attacks, I've decided on the CW/SW/7SS build which could all be considered AoE in a sense (even though 7SS can be a useful single target damage skill). My reasoning is that I think (with no real info to back up this hunch) that Blizzard wants us to utilize health globe drops over potions. If I'm right, then I expect that most bosses/unique sub-bosses are going to summon allies in, in order to give us opportunities to spawn health globes. If that is the case, a generator/spender combo like CW/SW will give me the ability to handle the adds without too much extra strategy involved. The only issue I see in my build for adds is that if I pop a 7SS when the adds arrive I won't be able to focus that damage on the boss as the adds will dilute it.

Considering all of that, if you find you are really concerned about pure single target damage, I would personally focus it on your "big spirit spender" rather than on your "primary/secondary generator/spender" basic attack. Try to save that high cost 7SS, Pillar, etc for the boss/unique/champion leader would be my vote.
    My main concern with the monk is that they do not seem to have a clear spender that is entirely focused on dealing single target DPS. The highest damage-per-spirit ability is 7SS, but it has a nasty cooldown. Everthing else does damage in an AoE (therefore, there's a "tax").

You're right... single target attacks are lacking. For single targets you are looking for high damage... skills like 7SSS and Pillar fo the Ancients comes to mind. None of the generators fit the bill. We call some generators single target relative to each other, but on the whole I don't think it matters what generator you use against powerful single targets. Just my opinion.

As for the 8% bonus from Combination Strike, I actually do think it's alot considering it's relatively easy to keep it up. To me it is tempting, but the reason I don't do it is because I don't want to give up my other spenders for that 8%. If you force me to pick a side, then yes... I don't want 2 generators. I'm not yet ready to say if others want to do it that they are wasting thier time because I like to see build diversity. But for me, I have no room for it in my 6 active skill choices.

BattleTag Chaboi-1594

A lot will depend on how WotHF plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaboi View Post
    A lot will depend on how WotHF plays out.
    Yeah, WotHF still vexes me. If it's attack speed is good enough to beat out FoT for single target, it might force me to include it in my 6 skills... or at least switch my build over to it for boss battles.

BattleTag Chaboi-1594

But are you going to want to switch to it for boss battles? Blizzard stated your nephalem valor will drop off

Heh heh you just hit on one of my pet peeves. Not going to worry about Nephalem Valor right now. It's a buff to magic and gold find that I don't get until level 60? Ummmm honestly, that whole mechanic seems like an artificial way to force players to stick with a build, and I find it slightly annoying. Call it my own personal little boycott of a decision Blizz made, but I'll get my magic find through other means if I really want it. I'm just put off by it right now because if they wanted to limit builds, they could have made respecs harder. Can't have it both ways, Blizz.