Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: AutoHotkey Scripts to enable WASD-style movement

I just tried the script and I must say I like it more than I thought I would. It actually solves a few problems I had :
    One is that the targeting system can be a pain. Sometimes you need to move to a specific location but if there are monsters nearby, your character will target and attack them instead of moving to the location your cursor is pointing at. By using the WASD I can go wherever I want, without any issues.

The second problem is that there are no "/nopickup" switch yet, so I often ended up picking up items I didn't want. This happens a lot less with this script.

Also, I found out that since you are not using the mouse to move, it frees it for other uses. For example you can open your inventory or quest log while moving. But, I tried managing my inventory and it didn't work very well. You need to stop moving to be able to move stuff around / equip gear. Do you think it would be possible to fix that ? Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Pheal View Post
    Blizz can ban for any reason really... Hell they don't even need one according to their tos!
    that is so TRUE, they were even Banning people for using Map H,,K when 85% people were using it.

IncGamers Member

I can't find the source, but I distinctly remember a blue post saying that the main reason why they wouldn't implement wasd as an alternative control scheme was that since the entire game's difficulty had been tuned to a 100% mouse-control scheme, allowing players to dissociate movement and targetting would make many areas much, much easier and somewhat trivialize the game.

IncGamers Member

I actually have just created an account within these forums to commend you; I will be playing with ESDF movement even if it is bannable as I would rather not play if they discontinue the use of scripts such as these.

Superlative movement is superlative. Thanks for the effort you placed into this project Yelgis, and there are many who appreciate this greatly.

Who cares about Diablo 3 if you cannot use superior movement? Knowing that I am forced to use an inferior toolset because the designer forces it upon me with no alternative reminds me of the Apple Corporation. The people who try to smite you for using WASD/ESDF etc must be narrow-minded conservatives who bring about cringing and shuddering in the scene of true ingenuity and innovation.

Personally, I would rather commit my time to Guild Wars 2 if superior movement is not permitted because living in the dark ages is just silly and counterproductive; I refuse to be "dumbed down" to such stagnant levels of play.

IncGamers Member

So is anyone using this?

IncGamers Member

Blizz can ban for any reason really... Hell they don't even need one according to their tos! A nice idea nonetheless

IncGamers Member

Thank you so much for the script, YelgisDarej. It has been working amazingly well for me.

I do have one thing to mention, however. This does not work properly on the Belial fight. During phase 3, when he goes into "big green demon mode," the screen "shifts" upward to give you more visibility. Because your character then slides down, the move commands are all being issued too high on the screen. This mean that trying to move down makes you run up, and it can be a bit scary when this suddenly occurs in phase 3, especially if you are in hardcore!

Can this be remedied by having a "Belial Phase 3" checkbox on the Gui? During the cinematic between phase 2/3, the user could open the gui, check the box, and go back to the Diablo 3 window. The script could then read if this boxed is checked. If so, add a certain number to the Y-coordinate on the screen, so down becomes down again. After the fight, the user could uncheck the box.

Thanks again for this wonderful script!

IncGamers Member

I cannot seem to bind the 'move' key to any other than Mouse 1. Is it me or have Blizzard done something?