Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Hybrid View

BattleTag DragNdrop-1896

Question Proc Effects, Crit Mechanics, Etc.

I don't have beta access, or would try to test this myself. Also the lovely official forums dont see longtime diablo fans as worthwhile posters unless they buy other blizzard games...go figure.

I was wondering the mechanics of procs and crits, if anyone could shed light on the subject.

- Do procs (like chance to fear, stun, life steal, etc.) work with AOE skills? or only single target?
    Example 1: Barbarian swings cleave against 3 enemies... Is each "hit" counted separetly, or all as one? Can he fear one out of 3, or does it roll with the attack, and if his chance to fear succeeds, he fears all 3?

Example 2: Do these procs apply to ranged/magic/spell attacks? Could a monk use Cyclone strike and fear proc because of his weapon? Could a wizard using Disentigrate proc stun because of his dagger? Or could a wd proc fear using a DoT like grasp of the dead?

- Do crits work the same way? When using a DoT does each "tick" per second get a chance to crit? If a barb cleaves does he crit the group or perhaps one of the group?

Just some food for thought, let me know what you guys have seen.

IncGamers Member

Re: Proc Effects, Crit Mechanics, Etc.

Haven't seen any weapon procs like that in the beta... just elemental damage, which applies to all enemies. ARE there any?

As for 2, elemental damage on weapons DOES apply for MOST skills, including spells, except (afaik) those whose description talks about damage conversion. So that may also apply to procs, but again, can't confirm based on beta.

The question about crits SHOULD be answerable... is there a visible indication of a crit aside from damage numbers, though?

BattleTag DragNdrop-1896

AFAIK the visual indication of CRIT is yellow damage numbers?

And yes I have seen stats on items that produce, say +0.2 chance to fear

Also there ar3 things like gems that add +300 life gained per attack and *eventually* the mystic's enhancements/enchantments

Last edited by DragNdrop; 22-03-2012 at 15:29. Reason: added response

Quote Originally Posted by DragNdrop View Post
    Do procs (like chance to fear, stun, life steal, etc.) work with AOE skills? or only single target?
    Good question. At one point procs did spawn on items in the beta IIRC, but I haven't seen such a weapon in a while. However when I used one which had a fear proc I think it did work with ranged skills.

Example 1: Barbarian swings cleave against 3 enemies... Is each "hit" counted separetly, or all as one? Can he fear one out of 3, or does it roll with the attack, and if his chance to fear succeeds, he fears all 3?
    Crit is calculated per hit and I assume procs work the same way.

Example 2: Do these procs apply to ranged/magic/spell attacks? Could a monk use Cyclone strike and fear proc because of his weapon? Could a wizard using Disentigrate proc stun because of his dagger? Or could a wd proc fear using a DoT like grasp of the dead?
    Like I said, I think procs do apply to ranged attacks. I don't know about AoE or multi-target skills though, but if they do work with those as well it would probably be on a per target basis.

- Do crits work the same way? When using a DoT does each "tick" per second get a chance to crit? If a barb cleaves does he crit the group or perhaps one of the group?
    DoTs doesn't seem to crit at all, at least not according to damage numbers. I've never seen a yellow damage number (which indicates crits) with them so far.

Cleave, like other multi-target abilities, calculate their crit per target and not per attack.

EDIT: There's a very important question, that you didn't ask though: how are crit based procs calculated? I'm talking about stuff like AP on crit, cooldown reduction on crit, etc. If these are also per hit, then they're really powerful and could be game-changing for your character, but if they are calculated per attack, then they aren't that good. This is something that I have been planning to test for a while now. Hopefully I'll get around to it tonight.

Last edited by HardRock; 22-03-2012 at 16:55.

BattleTag DragNdrop-1896

Thanks for the info. I agree the truth behind these mechanics are of utmost importance when choosing skill and rune combo. Depending on the outcome, a build could be self sufficient with just 1 rune instead of stacking, thus opening possibilities for more well rounded builds.
    Example: monk MoC withe the rune that adds a 30% chance to heal for (300) life for every melee attack. Seems to synergise nicely with a skill like WotHF... but if you could obtain the same IF NOT MORE healing per hit by simply socketing a gem in that weapon... you've essentially kept the benefit while opening up another rune/skill choice. The actual facts of these mechanics are paramount to being able to craft a great all around build...for pvm and ESPECIALLY pvp.

Kudos on response HardRock, thank you.

I did some testing with the AP on crit stat. You can read about my findings here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...ocs-AoE-skills

BattleTag DragNdrop-1896

Saw a thread a thread on the official forums, asking thbe same thing. Some responses, although none I would call legitimate sources or research

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4253965996