Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Kim DotCom to get everything back?

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Reddit is not a original source for anything except AMA's and ASK Reddit.

MEh http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...fair-trial.ars

Megaupload: Erasing our servers as the US wants would deny us a fair trial

By Timothy B. Lee
    you kidding? There's tons of original content posted there, via imgur.

IncGamers Member omgwtfbbqpwned's Avatar

downvoting everyone here

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    you kidding? There's tons of original content posted there, via imgur.
    Check the words "Via imgur" and "original source" and what the words mean in context.

I did not say "original content" what do you think a place called reddit is? It's recommendations and links of things read elsewhere by definition.
    Is a site like that free speech or a copyright violation evil that must be stamped out with disregard of due process?

Meh; and the second half of my last post was on topic at least.

Last edited by BobCox2; 08-04-2012 at 00:17.

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't be that sure that adding a link is enough of that. It could still be regarded as a copyright violation.

Maybe in Germany, but probably not over here. Fair Use is a fairly powerful defense to copyright infringement. That's not to say some attorney wouldn't send a C&D, it just means it would be very unlikely to make it past discovery/pleadings.

We attorneys like to send C&Ds (I actually prefer calling them ALLs, or Angry Lawyer Letters) all of the time, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have the law to back them up.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

I would rather call them "Pay €5000 for a €50 job" letters

To my knowledge, the forum servers are located in Germany, at least that's what whois seems to tell about the IP addresses.

D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Hey now, copy and pasting my last C&D into a new Word document takes a lot of hard work and effort. I definitely earned that 5,000 Euro! (good lord, what is that, 5 million U.S. dollars??)

Half that.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...esentation.ars
    Megaupload may ultimately be found guilty of the charges against it. But until a jury rules on the case, the courts need to presume Megaupload is innocent and give the company a fair opportunity to defend itself.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

People can be kept in investigative custody for a certain amount of time if there's are substantial risk of escape or obfuscation. Or is it just a matter of the amount of bail money? How easy is it to escape from the US when being released on bail?

If I had to expect a long prison sentence, I would try a lot of things to escape.

D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Megaupload Trial May Never Happen, Judge Says

A US judge has put a bomb under the Megaupload case by informing the FBI that a trial in the United States may never happen. The cyberlocker was never formally served with the appropriate paperwork by the US authorities, as it is impossible to serve a foreign company with criminal charges.

Opps!

It turns out that the US judge handling the case has serious doubts whether it will ever go to trial due to a procedural error.
    “I frankly don’t know that we are ever going to have a trial in this matter,” Judge O’Grady said as reported by the NZ Herald.
    Judge O’Grady informed the FBI that Megaupload was never served with criminal charges, which is a requirement to start the trial. The origin of this problem is not merely a matter of oversight. Megaupload’s lawyer Ira Rothken says that unlike people, companies can’t be served outside US jurisdiction.
    “My understanding as to why they haven’t done that is because they can’t. We don’t believe Megaupload can be served in a criminal matter because it is not located within the jurisdiction of the United States,” Rothken says.
    Megaupload’s lawyer adds that he doesn’t understand why the US authorities weren’t aware of this problem before. As a result Judge O’Grady noted that Megaupload is “kind of hanging out there.”

Kim Dotcom Lashes Out Against “Corrupt” US Government

“The US government has terminated Megaupload, Megavideo and 10 other subsidiaries, including a company called N1 Limited that was developing a clothing line,” Dotcom told TorrentFreak.
    “They destroyed 220 jobs. Millions of legitimate Mega users have no access to their files.”
    If Judge O’Grady is to be believed all this damage could very well have been for nothing because the authorities simply can’t serve foreign companies. This could lead one to wonder whether the whole setup was to simply destroy Mega’s businesses.
    This is certainly a theory Dotcom subscribes to, and it’s not the only dirty trick Megaupload’s founder believes the US Government is playing. The US is structurally denying Megaupload the chance to put up a fair fight.
    “We are refused access to the evidence that clears us, we are refused funds to pay our lawyers, we are refused to pick the lawyers we want to represent us and have any chance for a fair trial,” Dotcom says.
    For Megaupload the worst part is that the damage can’t be undone. The site has been completely destroyed as well as the plans to become a publicly traded company.
    “We have already been served a death sentence without trial and even if we are found ‘not guilty’ which we will, the damage can never be repaired,” Dotcom says.
    And why?
    According to Megaupload’s founder it is quite clear that the Mega investigation was a ‘gift’ to Hollywood, facilitated by corrupt forces.
    “This Mega takedown was possible because of corruption on the highest political level, serving the interests of the copyright extremists in Hollywood,” he says. “Mega has become a re-election pawn.”
    Nevertheless, Dotcom is confident that these forces will eventually be exposed.
    “It is just a matter of time until the truth comes out. We are working on that and we are making good progress,” Dotcom concludes.