Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Thorns = Reflects Damage?

In the new patch notes it says:

The monster affix "Thorns" has been renamed to "Reflects Damage"

Wondering if the way to calculate the damage reflected stays the same as it was with thorns
    I did not find thorns very attractive since the damage used to be a fixed number

The phrase "Reflects Damage" open the possibility to be a variable number, depending on how much damage our char is taking. I have had a lot of fun in other games playing Vitality-%Reflect Damage builds for PvP and for some boss hunts

Re: Thorns = Reflects Damage?

Note, that the monster affix was the one that got renamed, not the item affix.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    Note, that the monster affix was the one that got renamed, not the item affix.
    That is BAD news. It means that some monsters may have one of the most powerful affixes in game, which at the same time is unavailable for players!

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Sanctuary
    http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Maiden

It's available to only the Monk I think, in the form of Mantra of Retribution.

I have my doubts about how useful damage reflection and thorns will be for players outside of PvP, especially now that the amount of thorns damage on items were greatly reduced in patch 13, at least on low level items. It will of course depend on monster damage / HP ratios, but historically these damage dealing methods were less than stellar in other ARPGs.

Well remember that the WD still has the 'Fierce Loyalty' passive which lets his pets get 100% benefit from his Thorns items . I think that this makes for a very cool WD build that relies much more on tanking + letting enemies kill themselves compared to even regular pet builds :P.

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    It's available to only the Monk I think, in the form of Mantra of Retribution.

I have my doubts about how useful damage reflection and thorns will be for players outside of PvP, especially now that the amount of thorns damage on items were greatly reduced in patch 13, at least on low level items. It will of course depend on monster damage / HP ratios, but historically these damage dealing methods were less than stellar in other ARPGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by z00t View Post
    Well remember that the WD still has the 'Fierce Loyalty' passive which lets his pets get 100% benefit from his Thorns items . I think that this makes for a very cool WD build that relies much more on tanking + letting enemies kill themselves compared to even regular pet builds :P.
    hmmm ... a Monk + 3 thorny pet WDs against a high damage AOE boss seems OP

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baalat View Post
    In the new patch notes it says:

The monster affix "Thorns" has been renamed to "Reflects Damage"
    Player Lifesteal + pots/globes/abilities > Monster Reflects damage

Nothing to worry about imo