Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BattleTag Hub-1983

Re: Two months to decide on a laptop(or possibly a desktop)

The processor is an AMD Turion II P540 dual core @ 2.4 GHz with 4 Gb DDR3 RAM.
    I missed the first day of the 2 days because I didnt see the private message in my inbox, which totally sucks. I never thought to look, and its crazy I even seen it when I did because I was going to edit my profile and saw the message. It took the better part of 5 Hrs to download the beta client, the whole time I am freaking out. I finally get to play it and its all slow like I mentioned. I changed the graphics settings to all the lowest settings and it didnt change anything. I tried changing the foreground FPS settings and left the background FPS settings low like they were already. Nothing seemed to change anything. As far as loot dropping there was no problem with that, the chests and things would drop the loot immediately and monsters would spawn immediately and they moved pretty much like I have seen in the youtube videos, which makes my character being slow all that much stranger. There was already a level 13 wizard made and I played it first, and it was the same as with the character I started, as far as being slow. I crafted a pair of boots with 7% FRW and it still didnt help.
    Even though there was problems, I still loved the game. It was dark and gloomy just the way I wanted it to be. If I ever get another chance to play, I will check the task manager, I did not even think about doing that. Thanks for the help Tilitoon.

BattleTag Diab-1350

Yeah that's definitely a problem on your end and doesn't have to do with the network/internet connection. I know exactly what you mean when you say your character seems to move slowly. I get the same issue whenever I try to record a video of the game with Fraps, especially with Fraps picking up sound as well. My FPS drops to about 20, so there is no actual noticeable stutter, but the game and characters do seem to move slower than normal.

As for why it's doing it for you, I really don't know. The obvious question is if you were running Fraps as well; or any other programs while you had the game running. Another reason could be the double-game issue as Tilitoon described. Are you running Windows XP?

Your video card and processor seem like they would run the game pretty decently, so I don't think it's a problem with your laptop's hardware.

Yea he would not be able to record a quality video with a "standard" laptop with fraps because he most likely has a single 5200RPM hard drive. To record @ 1080p you need to record on a separate physical hard drive than your OS + it needs to be at the very least a decent 7200RPM hard drive like the Caviar black or, ideally, an SSD.

BattleTag Hub-1983

I have been doing some research. I really like the MSI laptop if I go in that direction. For what it has and the price, there is not much that can beat it. Alienwares are just to high, the price they want for certain add-ons like RAM is rediculous. I will list some of the parts I have came up with:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800 High tower
    Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold
    Processor: Core i5 2500K
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
    GPU: MSI 580 GTX Twin Frozr
    SSD: Intel 160 GB
    HD: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Black
    Some kind of DVDR with Blue Ray playback, Windows 7 64 bit, Logitech or Razr gaming keyboard, Logitech or Razr mouse

I need some help on which Mobo to choose at this point. I would like to stay open to a dual video card option in the future and I am not sure if the Mobo would have to have accomodations for that. Also, I like an ASUS 23 inch screen, but would that be to big? I think some of those choices could be cut back a little to save on money, but I could probably swing what I have listed. Putting in some place holder numbers I came up with around 2300 bucks. Anybody have any other suggestions? I would like to use a MSI Mobo, but its whatever will work with what I have listed is fine.

Those are some high quality components you've selected.

The 800D is one of the best case out there, this is not a cheap case with flimsy side panels, this is a huge and heavy full tower case made of steal. I could go on for a few pages about all its features, but I'm sure you pretty much know them all by now. If you are not planning on carrying that computer to LAN parties then this is pretty much the ultimate case.

Another excellent Corsair product, the AX1200 Gold... It's a bit too much even for dual video cards but... I guess if you are ever going triple then you will be able to...

i5 2500K, the classic, can't get a better gaming CPU for the price.

Corsair Vangeance, to complete your Corsair trio, good memory.

Intel SSD, probably the most reliable SSD at the moment, they get the first pick for the controllers, they have the least number of returns. There are other cheaper choices but if the price is ok for you, then you get what you pay for.

Can't go wrong with the Caviar Black.

I'd favor Logitech for the keyboard and mouse if you want to stick to your "high quality parts" theme.

Now for the video card... The MSI 580 GTX Twin Frozr would have been a great choice a few weeks ago but now that the 680 is out you might want to check it out. It'll be much less power hungry, it generates a lot less heat, which mean it'll be easier to SLI. Speaking about SLI, if you want to go for the Twin Frozr model (this is a great model by the way), the only downside is that you can't sandwich two of them together. So if you want to SLI with these, you'll have to make sure you have at least one extra slot free between them otherwise they will suffocate. You probably won't be able to triple SLI for that reason. If you want to use 2 or 3 next to each other, you'll have to go for the typical blower style heatsink.

For the mobo you have a lot of choices, ASRock, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte all have good boards. If you go for Asus, their higher end gaming boards are labeled with ROG (Republic Of Gamers). They are pricey but they are pretty much the best, if you are planning on overclocking they won't let you down. Otherwise their P8Z68 line is excellent too. As long as you don't pick an mAXT board, you'll be fine. Make sure it supports SLI... Since you go for the Corsair 800D case, it can even support bigger motherboards (eATX) so if you find one with a nice arrangement of PCI-E16X slots for tripple SLI then it could be an option. If you want maximum future-proofness make sure the board has Gen 3 PCI express slots. It's not a big deal at the moment because only the GTX680 and the 7970 are using it (and it doesn't give you much more performance), but the upcomming video cards will be using it so...

23" is not too big if you have the space for it. I'm sitting at less than a meter of a 26" Samsung and a 30" Dell next to each other and I love it. Might not be ideal, but a 23" monitor for gaming is definitely a thing to consider, especialy with the setup you are looking for. It'd be a shame to buy a GTX580 (or even more powerful, GTX680 or dual GTX580) and game on a small screen at a low resolution. Actually the only reason I would go SLI would be if I would be using 3 monitors for 3D Vision Surround. Make sure the panel has low input lag / response time, that's what you want for gaming.

Question : What aftermarket cooler will you put on that CPU ? May I suggest the Corsair H100, seems like it would fit your build ?

BattleTag NinjaGhost-1733

Are you planning on playing other games besides D3? Since you are talking SLI I'm guessing so. If not, that GPU seems rather overkill. At half the cost, a 6870 can run the beta on max settings.

And 23' monitors are awesome. I've got an Asus brand one and everything looks amazing.

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

I was in exactly the same boat, looking for a new laptop for D3.

After quite a bit of research I've finally ordered this:
    - MSI GT780DX (i5 2450m, GT570m, matte screen, gaming keyboard)
    - Crucial m4 128 GB SSD (will swap it with the 500 GB HDD)
    - Steelseries D3 mouse
    - Sennheiser headphones

It should be delivered this afternoon! I will be ready for May 15th :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grishok View Post

- Steelseries D3 mouse
    - Sennheiser headphones

Hell yea, this should be a rather impressive laptop to game on. Please post your first impression here when you get it. Do you have Beta access ?

BattleTag Hub-1983

I am still seriously considering getting an MSI laptop. Did you order yours from the MSI website? Moneywise, the MSI laptop is going to be hard to beat. I have kinda gotten into looking for parts and planning a PC build, and I know I can do it.

BattleTag Diab-1350

Quote Originally Posted by Grishok View Post

- Steelseries D3 mouse
    - Sennheiser headphones

Wow, that looks like an awesome laptop! The price especially shocked me. Those parts in an Alienware would probably be close to hitting the $3000 mark. That would definitely future-proof your portable gaming experience.

@Tilitoon, maybe you can answer this for me. I have lots of desktop hardware experience but none with laptops. What does a 'discrete graphics card' mean for a laptop? Can you actually swap it out for a different compatible card in the future, or does it just mean that it's dedicated graphics but not able to be swapped?

darkstarhub: I've been using a 22" Samsung 2ms monitor for a few years now, and it's great. Huge upgrade from a 19" monitor and once you go that size, you will never want to go back. Make sure it's at most 5ms response time, but the less the better. Also make sure its native resolution is at a 16:9 aspect ratio. Mine is 16:10 and while it's not a huge deal, 16:9 is more standard so you'll encounter less software compatibility issues at 16:9.