Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member Herald of Doom's Avatar
    BattleTag Herald85-2617

Re: Two months to decide on a laptop(or possibly a desktop)

It seems you're pretty set on a laptop so here's some additional thoughts for you:

1) Do you want glossy or matte screen
    2) Do resolution and/or screen quality matter to you?
    3) Do noiselevels, size and weight matter or not?
    4) Will you be using the laptops keyboard and/or trackpad? Do you want a specific style (chiclet,..) and backlight or not?
    5) SSD or not? Maybe combined with mechanical HDD?

BattleTag Diab-1350

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Doom View Post
    1) Do you want glossy or matte screen
    I don't know why anyone would want a glossy screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolico x64 View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want a glossy screen.
    Hahaha I know, but for some reason some people like brighter colors with screen reflections better than accurate colors... go figure.

BattleTag Hub-1983

I am pretty set on a laptop, but I cant rule out the possibillity of a desktop. Noise, size and weight are not a big deal. I have been doing some homework on SSD and how one of these drives would effect D3 play. I have think the developers of D3 had in mind the vast majority of people that will play this game will have a standard mechanical drive. I am sure in the future, the mechanical drive will go the way of the dinosaur, as less moving parts is always better and it would seem to me less hard drive failures. Adding a SSD will make a laptop more expensive no matter how you look at it. Gonna keep on grinding till I find what I want I guess!

BattleTag Hub-1983

Hey Tilitoon, do you know if MSI is made or assembled in the USA? Even if they were just assembled in the USA, I would buy one for sure. I am just about sold on them.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarhub View Post
    Hey Tilitoon, do you know if MSI is made or assembled in the USA? Even if they were just assembled in the USA, I would buy one for sure. I am just about sold on them.
    Most of the electronic stuff is made in Asia, MSI is a Taiwanese company. Not sure if they are assembled in the US, I doubt it. I haven't used their support yet, as I only bought motherboards from them and they never failed so I don't know how good it is. They are all around the world and in the business for more than 25 years (longer than Asus).

BattleTag Hub-1983

I didn't figure they were made or assembled in the USA, but it would have been cool. I am a union worker so I at least try to buy things made in America. It's a rare thing actually. I think MSI would be a good brand to go with, but I had never heard of them, and I am trying to find out what I can about them. Thanks.

IncGamers Member Herald of Doom's Avatar
    BattleTag Herald85-2617

For what it's worth, I don't know of any major laptop brand still manufactured or assembled in the US.
    MSI is on of the biggest motherboard companies (they sell to big pc builders like Dell or HP) and they're originally from Taiwan. They manufacture in mainland China like everyone else now. Their laptops are generally known as good value for money, especially the gaming models.

About the SSD: It will not help D3 specifically but I advise SSD's for an overall more pleasant experience.

BattleTag Hub-1983

OK, I got a chance to play the beta for 2 days from the site. I was curious as to how my current laptop would handle the game. I have DSL for my Internet and it's probably not the fastest in the world by no means. On the latency bar I was averaging between 110 and 160 ms latency, which is probably not very good.
    My issue is the game was running slow, as in my character kinda seemed like she was on downers or something. It wasn't so bad in a small place, but out in the world it was bad. I wasn't getting any skipping or anything, but during the skeleton king with all kinds of stuff going on, it would skip around some and slow down more. I download the latest driver for the ATI mobility radeon 4850 that's in my laptop but it didn't seem to help. I was also playing with wifi connection. I went into the options and tried to lower the settings but I never could tell any difference.
    My question is this: was the problem my laptop not being up to par, or the Internet speed not being fast enough? I found out I only was at a 3 mb download speed and switched it to 12 which is the highest I can get in my area for DSL. It won't Chang till this weekend so I don't know if that will help or not. I watched some videos on YouTube op D3 playthroughs and they all showed a character movement much faster than what I was seeing. I can fix the computer part as I planned on getting something else anyway. If the DSL isn't going to be good enough to play the game than I am screwed.
    Sorry for the wall of text, but if anybody could help me out I would appreciate it very much.

I don't think an internet connection problem would make the game seem to run slower. You would probably experience a delay when the loot is dropped from chests and monsters and the mobs would probably skips / teleport. If the game is generally slow and even slower in bigger environments, it would be client related.

What's the CPU in that machine ?
    That video card should be able to handle the game at pretty much max, but did you lower the visual quality to see if it would help ?

Also, there are some problem with the Agent program, which could cause issues like the one you are experiencing. The best fix so far is to add "-launch" at the end of the shortcut to the DIII program so it would look like "Diablo III Beta\Diablo III.exe" -launch. You can also look at the task manager while the game is running to make sure you don't have multiple instances of DIII / the Agent or the Launcher.