Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BattleTag Hub-1983

Re: Two months to decide on a laptop(or possibly a desktop)

After a long thought process, I have decided to build a desktop. I might spring for the MSI laptop later this year if I get some good overtime this summer. I think the deciding factor was all the negative reviews I found for MSI, kinda split between bad customer service and poor quality and workmanship. There is no way I am going to pay that much for a laptop and have any of the issues I read about. I will give them more time and see how well thier quality stands up.

I really got into researching parts and putting together a build, so the decision was made. I may not have it done by release, but the laptop I have now will allow me to make due until the build is done. I ordered the power supply and case from newegg yesterday, so its underway. They had a combo deal for the Corsair AX750 gold power supply and Corsair Obsidian 650 case and a 15% off promo code for the power suppply. Got a good discount there and no shipping! Saved about a hundred bucks on the first 2 pieces, and thats not adding in that both have a 20$ mail in rebate.

You could maybe use the pre-installed OS and recover to the SDD, but I haven't got experience with this process, I prefer the clean install way. There are excellent guides on helping with clean install process on the internet (where to download, how to make the DVD, what to do after install), but it has to be your cup of tea. If this is too much hassle, you could buy a SSD/HDD GT780DX version, but they are much more expensive (1900-2000 euros).
    The new MSI laptops with the Geforce 680 card had an option for a HDD/SSD, but no price. The one you mention wth HDD/SSD is 2,600$ (American). So that was out. If I was single, it would be different, but alas, I have other people I am responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstarhub View Post
    I ordered the power supply and case from newegg yesterday, so its underway. They had a combo deal for the Corsair AX750 gold power supply and Corsair Obsidian 650 case and a 15% off promo code for the power suppply.
    Good choices

BattleTag Hub-1983

The more I think about doing this build, the more excited I get. I wish I could get it all at once and have it ready for launch. But, I have to balance this out with normal living costs, and with the economy the way it is in the US, I might not have a job tomorrow. I may wait a day anyway at launch, I am sure the servers are going to be maxed out and lag will probably be crazy. Hopefully the rumors of the game being better optimized at launch are true. If that's the case it won't be to bad playing on my laptop.

I am still looking around at video cards, I haven't made my mind up 100% on which one I want. How much difference does 320 bit and 384 bit make? Also, the i5 will work with a Z77 chipset right?

Thanks for the help.

I am still looking around at video cards, I haven't made my mind up 100% on which one I want. How much difference does 320 bit and 384 bit make?
    You would be better off looking at benchmarks of the specific models you are referring to than the mere memory interface spec. But I would say the memory bandwidth is usually a better spec to look for.

Also, the i5 will work with a Z77 chipset right?
    Sure, that's socket 1155. Now that Ivy is out, you may want to check it out, although the gaming performances don't seem to be much better than Sandy (maybe some updated drivers will help in the future).

Last edited by Tilitoon; 03-05-2012 at 19:10.

BattleTag Hippotion-2165

PS The MSI laptop is rocking D3!

Everything on High (except shadows on Med), 1920x1080 @ 60-100 fps.

BattleTag Hub-1983

I thought I would update my own thread instead of making a new one. I almost have everything for the build now. As far as main components, I still have to decide on a motherboard. The board I have had on my newegg list is the gigabyte ud5h z77 WiFi, and that's what I am 99% sure I am going to get. I also need to get a copy of windows, but that's a given. I don't need a lamptron fan controller, or to switch out case fans to bitfenix spectre pro 200mm, but it would be nice. I can't wait to get this thing going, I know it has taken me awhile, but it's starting to get close to actually happening.

The build is this:

i5 2500k
    EVGA GeForce 570 (2.5 GB VRAM model)
    8GB Corsair low profile vengeance RAM
    Corsair gold 750 watt power supply
    Corsair Obsidian 650 case
    Crucial 128 GB SSD
    500 GB external hard drive
    Noctua 120 mm CPU cooler with the new PWM fans
    ASUS 2ms 24 inch monitor
    ASUS DVDR
    logitech keyboard and mouse

If anybody has info on or uses the gigabyte board I mentioned, please let me know. Or, if you just have a recommendation, it would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by darkstarhub; 09-08-2012 at 19:24.

Can't go wrong with that board.

Edit: Do you already own your 2500K ? If not, you may want to consider Ivy, since you'll get some extra features with your Z77 board, otherwise, not a big deal.

Last edited by Tilitoon; 09-08-2012 at 22:07.

BattleTag Hub-1983

Everything I listed, I already have. I considered getting an Ivy, but for what I am going to be doing, the i5 2500k will be fine. I kinda wish I would have went with an Ivy, just to be a little more future proof. The GPU and CPU I have should do me fine, as I don't play any of the games that are really tough on the system. My other side-idea in all this is that I want to build my son a system. By the time I get all the stuff for him, I could use the GeForce 570 and i5 in his system and get something a little better for mine. I don't know, if everything runs good on what I am doing now, I will probably just leave it all together. All I plan on doing with it is playing D3 and "maybe" TL2.

Damn, you kinda have me wishing I would have spent another hundred bucks to get the Ivy. I should be fine though, as I don't have alot of things ever going at once. I have my laptop to set beside me for anything else.

You wouldn't get much more performance out of Ivy, it's just that you don't get some of the features available on the Z77 + Ivy combo, like HD 4000 IGP with QuickSync, PCI3.0, native USB 3.0, things like that.

IncGamers Member

There's also the fact that Ivy is more energy efficient than it's predecessor, saving nearly a third on wattage. If you run you machine 24/7 like I do, that's a fair bit off the electricity bill.