The White Bear has brought the cold winter winds to bear on the minions of Hell. The druid is now patriarch, at level 86, having defeated first the Ancients and since Baal alone.
The build and gear is more or less 'complete': http://www.diablofans.com/page/tools...0l4l0l2l0lal00
Major credit goes to SSoG for his Mighty Kodiak guide. It's very enjoyable and well written and has a lot of good information.
The build is not as strong as I would've thought, unfortunately. At least in hell. There are so, so many cold immunes, and although you can kill them, it takes a while. Big packs of archers are a pain to deal with, if you can't get some good shockwaves. Still, it's great fun and has a unique playstyle.
- Like the wind druid you do cold and physical damage, but you also get a larger life pool, more defense, the ability to use melee modifiers such as crushing blow - and you get to maul things with your mighty bear claws.
- With the right weapon, fast attack speed (6 fpa)
- Shockwave and a rather durable grizzly summon
- Tornadoes still do good damage, and are useful in some situations, i.e. while waiting for the hurricane cating delay to wear off.
- Can kill any enemy in hell, although it might take a while.
- Not so high damage output, and very low physical damage - which makes life leech a little weak at times, despite your fast attacks.
- Rather gear dependant. Not many options for weapons.
- CI+PI enemies are a problem until you get Azurewrath or similar, which has +250-500 magic dmg.
- You have to shift to human form to refresh hurricane every 50 seconds.
*** Note: this is not a guide, it's just my character and my current equipment.***
Strength: 156 for stormshield
Dexterity: 140 (phase blade requires 136)
Vitality: Rest (I'm at 204 at lvl 86)
Life: 681 (with a few scs) in human form, 1585 in bear form
Sanctuary Aura and Cyclone Armor. That gets style points in my book.
Weapon - Azurewrath socketed with a shael (6 fpa)
Shield - Stormshield
Helm - Jalal's Mane
Armor - Duress in Ornate Plate (looks awesome!)
Gloves - Blood Gloves (bad ones, but 6% CB, 16 life, 15 lightning res)
Boots - Gore Rider
Amulet - Highlord's Wrath
Rings - Carrion Wind and Raven Frost
Other thoughts & things to test
There are still some things in the build I'm not sure of; both in terms of skill build and gear.
- I don't know if the points in dire wolf are worth it - the grizzly is a surprisingly good tank, but at this point, it might be more efficient to boost your wereform and tank yourself.
- Stormlash is a very interesting weapon. Static field, synergised tornadoes, 33% crushing blow, lightning damage. Fast too. What a perfect, marvelous weapon. Sadly, it's expensive. Grief is another fantastic weapon that's also too expensive for me.
- Crushing blow. I only have 36% chance with my current gear. Guillaume's might be an option, but Jalal's Mane has a lot of juicy mods for this build... Obviously need to get 10% CB on my gloves, either from Blood gloves or Steelrend.
- I have no fire res. Heh. It's -25 in hell and only 30 poison res. The other two are at 75. Guess I have to socket Jalal's and Stormshield to make up for that.
- Mercenary: Don't know about this one! I switched to a blessed aim merc. Might didn't do much for my low physical damage. I now have almost 7k AR with HoW and blessed aim, which seems to work well. But if I get a Demon Limb on switch for enchant, maybe I could get another merc instead: holy freeze or even a fire arrow rogue...