Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Easily Attainable Level Cap

I believe that the lvl cap is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme, and it does nothing but hurt the longevity and fun of the game.

In D2, the lvl cap was 99. I came close MANY times, but never reached it. I didn't hate blizzard for not letting me get there, it was just a known fact that if you wanted to be lvl 99, you had to earn it. I was never jealous of the lvl 99ers and I enjoyed watching the ladder every reset.

Part of the longevity of the game came from "rerolling" our chars for a variety of reasons. Sometimes to make them just a little bit stronger or to adapt to a new patch or maybe we wanted to specialize in something different or even weird. D2 wasn't just about items as d3 will be although it is a big part of it. It was all a collective experience, and we were never forced to stop.

In D3, I don't think it'll be that way. Once we get a char to 60 we will never need to make another of that type. And everyone will have the same stats/skills. Wouldn't it be better if we had a possible 39 more lvls to go? I believe so. I understand that some people like the cap, but I just cant wrap my head around the fact that a lvl cap so low benefits the game in ANY way.

What do y'all think about it. Does anyone agree? Have anything to add? If you're for such a low lvl cap I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

IncGamers Member

Re: Easily Attainable Level Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Mobbo View Post
    I believe that the lvl cap is nothing more than a moneymaking scheme, and it does nothing but hurt the longevity and fun of the game.

In D2, the lvl cap was 99. I came close MANY times, but never reached it. I didn't hate blizzard for not letting me get there, it was just a known fact that if you wanted to be lvl 99, you had to earn it. I was never jealous of the lvl 99ers and I enjoyed watching the ladder every reset.

Part of the longevity of the game came from "rerolling" our chars for a variety of reasons. Sometimes to make them just a little bit stronger or to adapt to a new patch or maybe we wanted to specialize in something different or even weird. D2 wasn't just about items as d3 will be although it is a big part of it. It was all a collective experience, and we were never forced to stop.

In D3, I don't think it'll be that way. Once we get a char to 60 we will never need to make another of that type. And everyone will have the same stats/skills. Wouldn't it be better if we had a possible 39 more lvls to go? I believe so. I understand that some people like the cap, but I just cant wrap my head around the fact that a lvl cap so low benefits the game in ANY way.

What do y'all think about it. Does anyone agree? Have anything to add? If you're for such a low lvl cap I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.
    And how would your char get stronger in these additional 39 lvls besides stat points?
    Number of lvls doesnt mean anything if they aren't filled with content!

BattleTag ChaosMagika-2981

Guess what, in early LOD 99 was very obtainable, almost everybody had at least one 99er.

But that changed didn't it?

Keep in mind the lvl 60 cap leaves plenty of room for another expac possibly more than 1 expac even. And with those new expac's u can expect to see new items new skills and of course a raised lvl cap. In addition to that possibility keep in mind the game is scaled differently than in diablo 2. No longer will there be the days of rushing characters thru the game and hitting lvl 80 in a matter of 3 hours. Getting level 60 will not be as hard as getting lvl 99 persay but really all lvl 99 ment was that u did more grinding than I did. You sat there longer at Baal runs than I was willing to do. Nothing more nothing less. At least getting lvl cap in diablo 3 will mean something in that u can start grinding inferno. In diablo 2 lvl 99 was just a number for those who sat there longer.

IncGamers Member

Achievements may be the next grinding sensation to replace leveling. We'll see.

IncGamers Member

Getting to lvl 99 was almost constant progression. Of course, people could get to it in just a couple of weeks, but most didn't. It IS just a number. They could make it where it takes just as long to get to lvl 60 as lvl 99 took.

When the expansion comes out the lvl cap will be raised, making a once complete game incomplete. You have no chance competing with others unless you BUY the expansion.

Torian, ideally, as we lvl up, our skills and stats would increase.
    Item lvl requirements would increase too.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medivon View Post
    No longer will there be the days of rushing characters thru the game and hitting lvl 80 in a matter of 3 hours.
    The developers have said they are friendly to rushing and twinking. Will probably be more common in HC though, since after you have your 5 guys in sc rerolling doesn't matter anymore.

A level cap allows them to design an actual endgame to challenge players; one that can't be trivialized by simply outleveling it. This was a fairly major complaint of D2.
    There really wasn't an endgame to speak of, just a never ending grind. And for what? Slightly faster killing & loot. Well loot didn't suddenly vanish. Now you have the loot hunt within the confines of a game where the challenge falls in line with the loot you can find. Far more engaging from a players perspective.

I believe they do have more elaborate content for endgame in mind. We could see it someone post release (once we have pvp!).

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosmage View Post
    Guess what, in early LOD 99 was very obtainable, almost everybody had at least one 99er.

But that changed didn't it?
    I agree many people had atleast 1 99. In d3 many will have atleast 5 Max lvl chars.

BattleTag Ignatius-1870

I don't think anyone played as much as they did because they absolutely had to get to level 99 or because re-rolling a character was so irresistible. (I think we can all agree the Normal/Nightmare grind was pretty dull.) If the game is fun based on it's own merits of what makes a game fun, (challenge, fun game play, cool loot in Diablo's case I suppose) people will simply continue to enjoy themselves because of that. I think Diablo 2 was fun because of those things and Diablo 3 will be fun for the same reasons.

Diablo has always had a built in replayability due to it's random nature. No two games are ever the same.