Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Weak Resists and Frenzy

So I've been playing with a few different characters lately, most successfully a zealot.

The guy I've had the most fun with, however, has been my frenzy barb. Something about keeping the right mouse button held down and motoring around the screen at super fast speeds is really amusing. My barb has a problem, however. He doesn't have great gear (although I'm sloooowly starting to find a few items. Finally got a raven frost this morning), and his resists in hell are sorely lacking. In SC i could just carry on and not really care, but he's on HC and I don't feel like letting him die.

I put one hard point in natural resists, but that really hasn't filled the gap left by not having a shield at all. I thought about putting a lot more points in natural resists until I come into nice gear, but I think it starts getting pretty bad diminishing returns after level 6 or something anyways, right? Dumping a ton of points into nat. resists probably wouldn't do my damage any favors either.

Is there any good way to get around resist problems on a dual wielding barb that doesn't take any particularly fancy items (I'm on single player as well as HC, so some of the fancy items aren't easy to come by)?

The best answer I can think of is to use Smoke, or stick the UM i've been saving into a skin of the vipermagi. I don't really want to give up Duress for smoke though, and I don't really want to stick an UM i've been saving in my viper magic because I got about the lowest possible roll imaginable on that skin for resists. I'd much rather hope to find a better one (the defense is also pretty awful on it since I can't double up it on single player, although I guess defense doesn't really matter if you can't really really stack it super high anyways....)

IncGamers Member

Re: Weak Resists and Frenzy

You can try treachery ( ShaelThulLem ). It may take a while to proc fade, but other than that it is amazing for it's cost. 60 all resist, 15 PDR, curse damage reduction, 45 ias, venom and other goodies make it really good.

IMO if you've got weaps with any amount of decent damage at all then the offensive mods on Duress quickly become marginal and you're better off with Treachery or Smoke. A couple extra in nat res (to level 5/6/7) is definitely worth it while you lack good gear; we have respecs now after all. Charms are also a biggie.

Do you mind posting us a list of your gear?

IncGamers Member

Sure, I can do a gear list. Am afraid it's not particularly impressive but... from memory, here goes.

Helm: An avenger guard (I think? Winged type helm, maybe upped from normal quality) that had +3 sword mastery and +2 axe mastery, and two sockets so I made it into a lore runeword as well.

Edit: /Just/ came into my very first guiaullmes face too, which is a useful hat from all the various guides i've read. Whether to stick it on me, or on my merc though, I don't know. And, like the vampire gaze, that won't help my resists either. But yay, I'm finding gear.

I just found a vampire gaze the other day though, which looks like a nice hat. Although it would make the resist problem worse before it got better.

Body: Duress stuck in an embossed plate.

I don't really have anything special to replace it with. I could make a treachery, but I'm really ill at ease with that chance to proc fade despite all the great mods it has. I have a smoke I could use in a boneweave, or I have a bottom end skin of the viper magi as well.

Rings: One raven frost I just got (yay). The other one I've been using is a pretty decent rare. I forget the exact stats but it had 7 or 8% life leach, a good bit of attack rating, some resists. I just picked up a dwarf star also. The fire absorb and life boost on that looks kind of neat. Any idea if it would beat out a ring with lots of life leach?

Amulet: I have a highlord's wrath... so I can get decent lightning resists between that and lore and my other stuff. It's not a half bad amulet either I think. The best resist amulet I could get my hands on (at the moment) would be +29 resist all one. I'd love to get my hand's on mara's someday...

Weapons: I have a lightsabre I can borrow from my paladin, and a gimmershred. Neither of which is particularly amazing. I also have the runes around that would let me make an oath, although I'm not sure if I want to hang onto them for other purposes or not... An oath could be beneficial to both my barb and my paladin though, so maybe that's worth really thinking about if I can find a good base for it.

Belt: I've been using string of ears.

Hands: Crafted blood gloves with 10% IAS, 10% Crushing blow, and a few other things tacked on including a bunch more lightning resist and some poison resist.

Boots: Once upped goblin toes.

Last edited by Valeli; 13-03-2012 at 20:55.

IncGamers Member

Procing fade isn't that hard. If you are in act 5, just run outside Harrogath and there's always some fires burning. Otherwise, go into the blood moor and let the little critters hit you till it procs. Once you get it going, it'll have no problem staying up because as a melee character you'll be getting hit all the time.

Also your weapons need improvement big time. A barb cannot compromise on his physical damage, and lightsaber and glimmershred don't cut it. Make Oaths asap. Run countess for the runes, and then run pits until you find ethereal highland blades or suchlike.

By the way, Highlords is 'the' amulet for most melee builds. You're lucky to have it, and don't even think of replacing it with something else. As for the helm, I wouldn't replace it with guillames, instead try to find Arreat's face.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

I would replace the helm with Guillaumes and make a Smoke. Guillaumes really doesn't have that much less to offer than Arreats, plus you already have Guillaumes. The extra cb could allow you to use some resistance boots if you wanted. I personally would make a smoke and ort/ral the Guillaumes. I would also make sure to get some open wounds from one of the weapons (you don't really state what you are using, you say you can use a lightsabre?), or craft a blood belt.

IncGamers Member

I wouldn't make any extra effort to get open wounds unless you're planning to do ubers soon or something (and it doesn't look like that). It doesn't have much use in pvm except for stopping dclone and ubers' regeneration; the damage per second is very low.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefranklin View Post
    I would replace the helm with Guillaumes and make a Smoke. Guillaumes really doesn't have that much less to offer than Arreats, plus you already have Guillaumes. The extra cb could allow you to use some resistance boots if you wanted. I personally would make a smoke and ort/ral the Guillaumes. I would also make sure to get some open wounds from one of the weapons (you don't really state what you are using, you say you can use a lightsabre?), or craft a blood belt.
    i agree with this and would add that putting the um in the Guilaume's isnt a bad idea. if you dont wanna put it in there, put ort, ral, or whatever other cheap rune to make up one of the resists.

i also suggest taking the plunge and making oath, preferably in a balrog blade or another big eth sword. then do something crazy like making lawbringer for your offhand weapon and you'll be set for questing through hell. make up res on your gloves/belt/boots. i know it's not great recomending stuff you dont have yet, but 3x ik pieces are excellent for many builds, if not that then Laying of hands and a pair of boots to cover the other reses (like nats).

if you're not going self-found, check out the SP trade forum as well if you havent already. you can pick up most of what you need fairly cheaply and there's several of us HC players that lurk constantly looking for fresh meat... er for new players to trade with.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeli View Post
    I'd much rather hope to find a better one (the defense is also pretty awful on it since I can't double up it on single player, although I guess defense doesn't really matter if you can't really really stack it super high anyways....)
    u can never double up a SoVM. it is an exceptional item and therefor can only be upgraded once, whether you are on battle.net or SP.

i'd do everything CDM says, but make myself a lionheart. with goblins and guilli u really donīt need that cb and the res and stats on it are plain awesome imo.

ll ring is worth more than a dwarf star, since a frenzy relies on leech to survive

IncGamers Member

If you lack resist and you are not that wealthy try getting an arreats. It would be worth your um you are holding onto right now. That way you can cover your resist issues. Yes keep on your duress until you can affored a Lo rune to make a fort. I don't know much about HC since I hate playing that core. Just keep your character with good survivability thats all I can say.