Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: blizz sorc

blizz sorc

I'm thinking of making a blizz sorc. (I refuse to call the female a "wizard"). Is that a good choice? What is Blizzard called now in d3?

Re: blizz sorc

Quote Originally Posted by psyadam View Post
    I'm thinking of making a blizz sorc. (I refuse to call the female a "wizard"). Is that a good choice? What is Blizzard called now in d3?
    Um...Blizzard? I mean, Blizzard is a wizard skill in the D3 skill calculator. I would say that it is a good choice, and that I plan on making/trying a blizz wiz, too... but right now DoTs are underpowered in my opinion, given that they probably don't stack. On the other hand, Blizzard is an excellent skill for slowing groups enemies giving the wizard time to finish them off with her other spells. Since it is an aoe and ranged skill, I'd recommend either magic missile or electrocute as a signature skill to go along with it.

Also, since DoTs don't stack, I'd say may as well have another offensive spell in the build. Hydra would be nice to stack more damage over time (I think different DoTs will stack) but I don't think the slow effects from frost hydra and blizzard will stack (anyone know?). On the other hand, with the passive black ice, the more ice attacks the better. Thus, Ray of Frost is an option, especially when runed to decrease resource cost, as Blizzard itself uses almost half the wizard's AP (without gear).

Or, you can forego another offensive skill and save the AP for Blizzard + cooldown skills which require AP, like wave of force and teleport. Since attack speed is also slowed by Blizzard, it would be interesting to have a wizard with spectral blade and Blizzard, or shock pulse and Blizzard. Overall I think Blizzard is a very versatile skill which unfortunately doesn't do very much damage at the moment.

IncGamers Member

While blizzard does damage over time, I'm thinking it doesn't leave a debuff on the target, and is rather considered staggered aoe, which means that multiple casts will see damage stack.

The freeze effect would be pretty useful, but this isn't D2 where all you do is just spam one skill + teleport and everything dies.

doh, I thought it would be like that Thanks for your replies.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

What a missed chance to talk about a blizz wiz!

Anyway, psy, move on already!

BattleTag melianor-2318

From the skill video on the official site you can see, that it is pretty effective, slowing mobs and dealing high damage. Spamming will be rather hard, as the costs are pretty high. Combining this with some cost reduction and signature skills generating AP might help.

I wouldn't really expect the skill videos to provide an accurate measure of a skills true damage capability, As it is, I'd say Blizzard works as a semi-defensive supporting damage skill. It seems to me a little too slow to be the primary damage dealer for an efficient build, but decent as complement to one or two other offensive spells.

Is that something others would agree with, that it isn't a good primary offensive spell? If Blizzard isn't, what is? I used to like chain lightning in d2 also. Would that be a good primary?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by psyadam View Post
    Is that something others would agree with, that it isn't a good primary offensive spell? If Blizzard isn't, what is? I used to like chain lightning in d2 also. Would that be a good primary?
    It does pitiful damage over too much time, as of right now. See it as a Wizard's Grasp of the Dead. It slows over a wide area and is pretty cheap to cast. Synergizes well with Black Ice and Comet Meteor rune.