Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BattleTag Halfsoul-2361

Hungering arrow does more dmg than rapid fire!

If I am not wrong, the demon hunter´s hungering arrow(using the 55% pierce rune) actually burst more dmg than several spenders, which makes the dmg ratio between the two out of balance.

HA does 115% * (1 + 0.55 / (1-0.55))= 255,556 or ca. 256% weapon dmg on average, which is actually quite a lot compared to say rapid fire´s 228% weapon dmg or even unruned impale 250% (although it does have a lot of utility and does more dmg with some of the runes runes).

I really hope blizzard will buff rapid fire a bit more to even the dmg ratio between the HA, since it´s a hatred spender and thus should do more dmg, because otherwise nobody will use RF as a spender which sucks as I personally really like the skill.

BattleTag ChairJockey-1401

Re: Hungering arrow does more dmg than rapid fire!

i think they should just move hungering arrow to a spender

Rapid fire can still do more damage with a rune effect, for example the 40% pierce chance looks nice (although these arrows are not guided of course). I think they just need to nerf hungering arrow slightly, or more accurately, they need to nerf the pierce chance, especially on the piercing rune. That rune alone upjumps the damage from 1.15*(1/0.65) =~ 177% to 1.15*(1/0.45) =~ 256%! Considering bola shot does 130% plus minor aoe unruned, 177% is a bit high as well. So I'd suggest dropping the unruned pierce chance to 25%, meaning 153% average damage, and the runed pierce chance to 45%, meaning 210% average damage.

I would hate to lose hungering arrow as a hatred generator since eveasive fire, grenades, and spike trap are more situational skills, which leaves only entangling shot and bola shot to choose from.

BattleTag ChairJockey-1401

they could easily replace hungering arrow with elemental arrow as a generator, just with minor tweaking.

IncGamers Member

I would much rather use nerfed Hungering Arrow as a generator than Elemental Arrow. Just saying.

Actually elemental arrow would be a fun hatred generator, with all that aoe. However, bola shot already does aoe, and I'd never use bola shot if elemental arrow was available. Also, making it a generator would make elemental arrow even weaker, which makes all of those special effects feel wrong somehow. I like how they toned down hungering arrow's effects to make it more in line with what a lower damage attack should look like.

IncGamers Member

As discussed elsewhere, this doesn't seem to be true in practice, in the game. Also, you're comparing runed with unruned which isn't really fair.

IncGamers Member

Time needs to be factored into the equation as well. Hungering arrow has what feels to be about a 1/2 to 1 full second pause inbetween every shot where as Rapid Fire is continuous damage without stopping. Against the Skeleton King I typically drain my hatred using Rapid Fire and watch the boss' health drop steadily and then swap to Hungering Arrow since it fires much much slower which makes it deal less damage.

Gauging just from experience, it feels like I get about 4-5 hits with Rapid Fire in the time it takes me to fire 1 hungering arrow.

IncGamers Member

Kelrist: No, time does not need to be factored in, given that ONE pierce runed hungering arrow deals that 256% weapon damage on average. Btw, Rapid Fire shoots six arrows at the time it takes to shoot one hungering arrow. Comparing damages, it's the 228% weapon damage from Rapid Fire (one arrow deals 38% weapon damage) versus 256% damage per hungering arrow on average. Of course this is runed version of Hungering Arrow vs unruned of Rapid Fire, and Fire Support rune for Rapid Fire will almost always outdamage Hungering Arrow single target wise (up to X attack speed).

What tops it off, is that Hungering Arrow regenerates hatred while doing more damage than most(almost all) single target spells that Demon Hunter has. Don't get me wrong, I love Hungering Arrow, but it's too powerful. Lowering damage to 80-90% weapon damage would be good choice imo. I wouldn't touch the piercing, as thats the only thing that makes this skill unique (and fun).

IncGamers Member

Again, in practice, RF is far stronger than HA. I don't know why, maybe the numbers displayed aren't accurate, but RF rocks much harder than HA.