Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

returned to D2, what should i make first?

I just came back to D2 after some years (getting excited about d3 pushed me back into d2). I am not up to date with any of the old builds generally used anymore, could anyone suggest a fun build to make first?

I considered a sorc to MF with, but I read about how many issues sorcs have with hell level resist monsters, and this discouraged me a bit.

I also considered a hammerdin but I also hear everyone has one and I am not *entirely* opposed to being like everyone else, but if there is a better option Id love to hear it.

I do not plan on dueling at all, and focus mainly on running bosses and general PVM with friends. Any and all suggestions will be considered, and I would appreciate an explanation as to why I would want to pick X class/build first. Thankyou so much!

IncGamers Member

Re: returned to D2, what should i make first?

I read that fanat-zeal paladins were good for running ubers and hell bosses, but how does a zealadin match up for the rest of the game?

IncGamers Member Fluffyknowsyou's Avatar

I'm not sure if you're starting with absolutely nothing,but making a paladin with nothing will be a disapointment. But there are ways of making it on charity and following bots, so yeah the zealot is a strong build for any part of the game when properly equipped.

As a sorceress, your primary goal would be to kill hell bosses and skip as many as the minions as you can to maximize profits. Although it is up to you,but this is all I have to say on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmuse View Post
    I just came back to D2 after some years (getting excited about d3 pushed me back into d2). I am not up to date with any of the old builds generally used anymore, could anyone suggest a fun build to make first?

I considered a sorc to MF with, but I read about how many issues sorcs have with hell level resist monsters, and this discouraged me a bit.

I also considered a hammerdin but I also hear everyone has one and I am not *entirely* opposed to being like everyone else, but if there is a better option Id love to hear it.

I do not plan on dueling at all, and focus mainly on running bosses and general PVM with friends. Any and all suggestions will be considered, and I would appreciate an explanation as to why I would want to pick X class/build first. Thankyou so much!
    Despite the problems with sorcs and elemental resistances, I still make a sorc. Blizzard/Nova is probably your best bet. It can deal with almost all resistance problems in the game, and it scales really well with cheaper gear (tal's) all the way to fantastic gear. You don't get gear to start either, but a few items like the tal pieces will go a long way.

An alternative is nova/orb. It plays very much like Blizzard/Nova, but you use orb instead of blizzard. It's about the same level of efficiency.

You can also make pure blizzard too, but only if you have someone to help with the content that you can't deal with that is necessary for progression. Pure blizzard will be very good farming some areas for gear because you're dedication all of your points to 1 skill, and it's going to do a rediculous 5-digit amount of damage. With a blizzard sorc, you don't even need any gear to make it work.

If all of this is too confusing, just make blizzard/nova. You won't be displeased at all. It works.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by musicmuse View Post
    yep, make a hammerdin. dont listen to people who tell you you have to have enigma to make one, you can do just fine untwinked and walking.

IncGamers Member

Summon necro is always my first char when ladder resets. Easy to level and use to farm gear for other classes I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknec View Post
    Summon necro is always my first char when ladder resets. Easy to level and use to farm gear for other classes I play.
    I would agree that this is a good character to start with too. My only personal issue with it is that it's slow, and once you get good items, you're almost certainly going to re-level a brand new sorc, hammerdin or wind druid to replace the necromancer. I used to do this many, many years ago, but it's pretty inefficient. So I just start with a blizzard/nova sorc right away. If there's any pain to get through, it's most certainly more bearable timewise than releveling a whole new character.

IncGamers Member

I re-started d2 like you recently. I had no equipment, and no friends that still played d2. First thing I did was making a MF sorc. Read a bunch of posts and decided on a Blizzard sorc since it's supposedly low demand on equipment. Let me tell you, she was doing fine until I got to hell, then became completely useless due to all the ice immunes. I went back to research, ppl say lightning sorc is good, but without the runes to make a Infinity merc to break the Light Immunes, I still couldn't get anywhere. Tried dual-element with Ice-Orb and Chain-Lightning, but without a bunch of +skill equipment: Had no SOJs, no Sorc Torch, no Anni. It was fail there as well since the Chain-Lightning just didn't do enough damage without a full sync or +skills.
    Then I tried Hammerdin, and that's what I suggest u go with. With very low equipment: had some unique sceptor +2 pally skills, viperskin armour, a low maras, halequin shako, herald of zakarum, magefist. I was able to solo hell very easily. I wasn't doing crazy 14K+damage like the higher hammerdins, but i was still doing 9-10k dmg, which is plenty for soloing. Most of my equipment I got for free, the Herald of Zakarum i got for a Mal rune. The Maras a Um rune, the shako for a Lem. Trading mostly revolve around runes now, so MF isn't really useful. 1 Ber or 1 Jah rune can trade for whole sets of unique/set equipment easily.

In fact, pm me and I can give you some starter equipment for free. Now I have mules full of Shako and Tal sets that I have no real use for.

"viperskin armour, a low maras, halequin shako, herald of zakarum, magefist."

If you had this stuff, you could have went with blizzard/nova and did fine This was the one build you didn't try

IncGamers Member

Just an FYI, I just got back in a few weeks ago- maybe play 2-3 hours every couple of nights- I went sorc for my main char- Tried meteorb, was great to Hell, once hit hell though, it became a pain. I started with no equip, was lucky enough to get a free Arachs, but everything else i Mfed with this sorc- now rocking, occy, p'top shako, war travs, chance guards, Found my first Soj and BK(never found one of either in my first 7 years of playing), 35FCR spirit, and tals ammy.
    I switched to Lightning only sorc and works great, you definitely need to get an insight merc at first, I would eventually aim to get infinity later(i still can't afford). The lightning sorc gives me no issues- can't run Chaos or Baal due to light immunes, But I run pits, countess, meph, shenk and pindle, and can complete runs in less than 5-8 minutes. Am lvl 91 now and i really have no complaints....now just a little bored so making a zeal/smiter. But sorcys are definitely viable to start with again- just no Blaze/inferno sorcy...

Sorcy skills- max skills in this order- 20CB, 20lightning, 20 mastery, 20 CL, then rest in nova(for synergy-if sticking to lite only)- 1 in warmth, 1 in cold armor.