Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Hi guys, newcomer to Diablo 2 here.

I am not sure which spell to start maxing out now- Ice Blast, Fireball, Blizzard, or Meteor. Any suggestions?

BattleTag DJMBBANDIE07-1586

Blizzard will do the most damage. Max that out first so you have an easy time for a while. The downside is the delay time between castings. Fireball can be cast without delay time at all and does good damage through normal so that should be considered too. I don't really use Meteor so I'll wait for someone who does to tell you about that one.

It depends on what kind of Sorc you want to make. A MeteOrb Sorc is a very cookie-cutter build that is very versatile - that is a Sorc that relies on Frozen Orb and Meteor/Fire Ball - if you go that route, I'd put a point or 2 in Meteor, but save some points for level 30 so you can put a point into Cold Mastery and Fire Mastery as well as Frozen Orb (keep in mind that, due to how Cold Mastery works, you don't really need to max it, just get it to a decent level, but you will want to max Fire Mastery).

If you want to make a Blizzard Sorc (a favorite for running Mephisto for items, but not as versatile as a MeteOrb), then pump that Blizz and keep a point for Cold Mastery. I don't know how easy it is to Mat a Blizz Sorc, though.

IncGamers Member

I already have the following on my sorc as of level 24:

Fire:

1 Warmth (7 with my leaf staff)
    1 Fire Bolt
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    1 Fire Wall
    7 Fireball (11 with my leaf staff)
    1 Meteor

Ice:

1 Ice Bolt
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Glacial Spike
    7 Ice Blast
    1 Blizzard

What does "Mat" mean in Diablo 2 terms?

matriach - female rank granted when complete hell mode ie kill hell baal. Patriach is male version. Guuardian is when you do it hardcore...

IncGamers Member cheerupemokid10's Avatar
    BattleTag pizzle-1873

Since you have leveled up Ice Blast, you might want to think about sticking with some points in Blizzard and make a "blizzballer." They use Blizzard+Cold Mastery+Synergy with Fireball+Fire Mastery and if there are some extra points left they go into a Fireball synergy like Meteor.

Pure blizzard sorcs have some trouble in Hell with all of the cold immunes, but if you take good care of your merc and strategically use static you can help out quite a bit. You can teleport past most things that are cold immune and just head on to act bosses. You mostly have to worry about the Act 2 boss Duriel in Hell because he is Cold Immune and puts a hurting on a merc very quickly.

This is all way down the line though so take that into consideration... If you don't like how blizzard is working, give Frozen orb a try when you hit 30 and pick the one you like more. You can always use the "respec" available as a one time quest reward in Act 1. You get three of them: one per difficulty level. So if things get too tough with lots of points in one skill tree or skill then you can reset your character and try something different later on.

Last edited by cheerupemokid10; 24-02-2012 at 16:17. Reason: ninja'd

IncGamers Member

cheerupemokid: I think you're speaking from your 1.09 experience, because duriel isn't cold immune in hell, though he has 95% resistance to cold. Nothing some cold mastery cant handle.

BattleTag pizzle-1873

Eek, I forgot about that change. Highly cold resistant, not cold immune. Still somewhat tough for a pure cold sorc though yeah?

IncGamers Member

Cold mastery reduces cold resistance. Truth be told, I didn't even know he had 95% cold resistance until a second ago, when I googled it. He goes down pretty fast.

BattleTag pizzle-1873

Well there you have it! Gotta do some catching up on 1.13 again... Cold sorcs are really versatile for MF running, so using blizz+Cold mastery and pumping the synergies will help you take out most everything that will be a farming area later on in Hell: Mephisto (A3), Ancient Tunnels (A2), Pindle (A5). Just keep your eye out for life leeching gear for your merc and you'll be in good shape.

I like levelling up the skills I'll use at the end game while I'm playing, so I don't really use the respecs much. Usually just to fix a point misplaced or something. It helps me understand the play style of the character better. If I change all my skills it would change all the dynamics of the character later on and might make things utterly difficult to transition to. Worst case scenario type stuff there though.