Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Hi guys, newcomer to Diablo 2 here.

Hi, guys.

I was referred to this forum by someone over in the Diablo 2 Community forums. I heard about D3 when I was looking at info about Starcraft 2's expansion, "Heart of the Swarm" so I thought I'd check out what Diablo stuff was all about. I got Diablo 2 "Battle Chest" edition a few days ago and started playing it, so I'm still in the process of learning how to play it. I've been playing Single Player so far because I don't want to embarrass myself on Battlenet with my n00bishness and inexperience, and also to give me a feel for the game.

I've done a bit of asking around in the D2 community forum, and a bit on the Diablo Wiki. I know some basics, like potions, looting monsters, different shrines, and the "Player8" command I found on the Wiki for a boost in exp, items, and challenge. However, I still have much to learn. My current character in D2 is a Sorceress, and I'm playing a fire / ice one. I figured a Sorc would be good to start with and have fun with. I am still exploring and running around in Act I, Normal difficulty.

Here's what I have so far:

Level 9 Sorceress

Strength: 50
    Dex: 25
    Vitality: 10
    Energy: 43 (blue number)

I put in strength so that I could equip armor, so I would take less damage and hits from monsters cuz Sorc's seem to have tiny HP. I have level 1 Warmth, Fire Bolt, Frost Nova, and Ice Bolt. I have level 4 Ice Blast, and its working nicely killing most monsters in 1 - 2 hits, but is a mana hog. My equipment is pretty much what I pick off monster bodies with 3 exceptions. I bought a staff with +3 warmth and +1 charged bolts, a Ring Mail with 2 sockets (cuz I heard sockets are very important), and a belt with +6 health regen. All from the smithy and priest at the Rogue Camp.

On a side note, I read on the Wiki that some stuff on Ladders can't be used in Single Player games, and I've had no luck finding helpful players on Battlenet, so that's why I'm still on Single Player. In the community forum, I was told that there's a way to make Ladder stuff available in Single Player, and other benefits.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or suggestions for me, any mentoring, and any particular things to watch out for (drops, gems, equipment, monsters, etc) Any help will be greatly appreciated! I hope I can get more experienced for when D3 rolls out.

Re: Hi guys, newcomer to Diablo 2 here.

welcome to the wonderful time sink, that is diablo 2

the RWM - rune word mod is available for download here
    it enables the ladder only content.

for the start imo it is the best to just choose a class and play a bit without worrying too much about what is right and wrong. check out the skills stats and what not and decide for yourself what is fun and what isnīt.

if you donīt want to do that, here are two guides, that while not written for exactly what u are needing, shows nicely what are the best items/strategies to build wealth

and lastly a guide on the possible build you have chosen, another possiblitily with your skill allocation would be a Blizzballer, but i couldnīt find a guide just now

good luck

IncGamers Member

Gotcha. I have another question if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure what items are worth buying in the smithy / priest. Sometimes I see resistance items, and some stuff like superior, crimson, jackal, etc. and some have sockets and others don't. Almost all the staffs I see have bonus damage against undead.

Also, should I upgrade my diamonds via shrines and socket them onto a shield for the resistances? Or do topax's instead for magic-find? I read that magic-find is very important for finding good sorc gear. I also see that sapphires give a boost to mana, which is something I *do* need quite a bit of.

IncGamers Member

The shops don't sell the best items in the game. Those are dropped by monsters. Don't worry about them by the moment, focus on understanding the game. First thing, after doing the den of evil quest you will get a reset stats/skills option. Don't use it just yet, but remember its there to correct your mess ups.

Points in energy are acceptable for a newbie, but later on you will want to get rid of those. You'll want to put them into strength for equipping items, dexterity for blocking ( you can only block with shields, but if you have a staff you can't use a shield ), vitality for more life. There are much better ways to solve mana problems. In most cases you will have to beat stuff with a stick in the early game since you don't have enough mana. By the way +damage to undead on staffs only apply to melee attacks.

The two guides linked above are very good, but they are also optimized for very harsh environments like untwinked single pass in tournaments which you may not like and they assume a lot of knowledge about the game itself. If you want to have a little easier time, PM me and I can send you a bunch of early game items so you can focus on the game without worrying much about items.

Don't play D2 to be 'prepared' for D3. D3 is a different game, and D2 is great on its own.

Yes, all blunt weapon types have an inherent +50% damage when you bash undead with them.

Most guides (and tips in general) assumes you have a pretty good understanding of the game, and they will mostly just confuse people that are really new to the game.

Since this is your very first character, just go ahead and try whatever seems like the smart things to do (and in a few years time you can go back and have a laugh at your choices! Most of us have been there...)

If you have trouble making progress, come back and ask us. If we are given some details about the character and their equipment, itīs often not hard for us to tell a player why they are having trouble.

Base vitality is scary for a Sorceress. You'll want to invest heavily in vitality, and maybe later dexterity for blocking. I would not bother with topazes right now, they can add a boost to your magic find later but for a start, I would recommend rubies and sapphires, and later a diamond shield for resistances. Also, armor is very useful in the first act but will get rather useless later since the attack rating of monsters drastically increases.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

Right now, I'm running around the Cold Plains and the Cave dungeon, just exploring and killing stuff with Ice Blasts. I'm lucky to have 2 Mana Refill shrines in Cold Plains, which is really helping me keep my mana juices flowing. Although I can't go too far into the Cold Plains cave before the mana regen wears off, so I empty my mana, and run back out to the refill shrine. In my current game, the 4 shrines along the north edge of Cold Plains are 2 mana regen and 2 refill shrines. Even though trips are getting longer, its still pretty fun freezing and watching the undead shatter in a million shards. Imagine doing that in the zombie movies or shows like Walking Dead.

Also, is there a good way to collect more gold to buy the better items in the shops? Its being a pain picking up items dropped by monsters and run back to town to sell them, and run back to the cave dungeon I'm crawling through. I don't pick up weapons or armors cuz they take up too much inventory space, so I just pick up items with 1 space, usually posion, mana, or health potions. I noticed that the throwing knives sell for almost 500 a pop, while all other weapons I found only sell for 8 - 50 gold each. Armors sell for only 5 - 50 as well.

Hey welcome. I only joined a few weeks ago and the knowledge here is scaryily impressive. Read the stickies and pop into the bar for some chat.

there are loads of guides. I started out with fishymancer and its so safe.

*kicks shins...

Pick up scepters, wands, and staves with +skills on them... those will get you good cash in town. Also throwing knives and poison/exploding potions are good early sources of cash.

Jiansonz would be the one to ask about best ways to get gold, but in general, the offensive potions (strangling and fulminating) are good. If you happen to find rings or amulets, they are easily the best bet in the very beginning. Don't bother with magic armors, the id scroll may cost more than what the armor is worth. look for items that can have +skills (scepters, wands, orbs, staffs), they are the most valuable items in the game...

Welcome to the forums!!

edit: pwnd

edit2: also, you can just buy mana potions from akara (the "priest") so you don't have to run back and forth...