Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Help with Smiter helmet please

Hello,

I have made an uber smiter, and have great gear I am thinking. My dilemma is whether to wear Crown of Ages or Guillames, or something else? My problem arises with how much strength CoA takes to use. When I have Enigma on, that is not a problem to hit the str requirement. But I just made myself a Fortitude(got +28 resists) and would like to wear that for ubering. However, when I use the fortitude it reduces my strength greatly and I cannot wear the CoA unless I respec to get more strength. Is it worth it to pump up my strength by that much to use CoA, or should I just use Guillames or something else? Also, what should I socket either helmet with? (My CoA only has 1 socket and I could get one on Guillames from the quest).

Also, everyone says grief is better for an uber smiter than Last Wish, but looking at stats, I would think Last Wish is superior. How come everyone uses grief (I am currently using a Grief beserker axe).

Thank you,
    Nuttzo

IncGamers Member

Re: Help with Smiter helmet please

If you're using grief (which you are correct, is the best choice, though generally in a PB because they're faster) then g's face is clearly better. If you use last wish (don't) then you don't need the crushing so CoA becomes better.

The reason grief is so good is the unique way in which +x damage works, or namely that it works, with smite. Grief will increase your smite damage by an order of magnitude. Its +x damage adds directly to the base damage of your shield, increasing smite damage far more than any other weapon could possibly hope to.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    If you're using grief (which you are correct, is the best choice, though generally in a PB because they're faster) then g's face is clearly better. If you use last wish (don't) then you don't need the crushing so CoA becomes better.
    \.
    Thank you very much for the quick reply! I have Gore Riders on for the Crushing Blow. Should I change those to something else if I switch to G's face for the Crushing Blow? Is there another pair of boots that is beneficial to an uber smiter? Also, what is the best rune/jewel to socket in to G's face?

IncGamers Member

I would never use coa on a uber smiter because it has high str req and the dr will not help for ubers. Only its resist mod comes in handy. Plus the helmet is too expensive just to use for a uber run. Either use guillis or kiras nothing else for ubers. Socket your helmet with what you think will help you the best and what you can afford.

Since you have a griefz I would recommend you to get a grief pb instead. pb has better ias and indestructable. You can make a game and trade your griefz for a grief pb. It might be a hard trade to do but that depends on supply and demand on the [realm/core/l or nl] you play on. Only use griefz for pvp or on a barb.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttzo View Post
    Thank you very much for the quick reply! I have Gore Riders on for the Crushing Blow. Should I change those to something else if I switch to G's face for the Crushing Blow? Is there another pair of boots that is beneficial to an uber smiter? Also, what is the best rune/jewel to socket in to G's face?
    Keep using the gores, the crushing blow from both items adds up, giving you a total of 50%. As for what to socket, that depends. If you need the resists for uber meph, um (or ort, or thul) is the logical choice. If you don't need more resists a pruby never hurts. If you keep using grief in a Z instead of a phase you will need a 15 ias jewel (with whatever other mods, 15/15 if you need the resists) in order to hit 6 frame smite. You'll need a high IAS roll on grief even with the 15 ias jewel though. With level 20 fanaticism you need a 39% ias grief z and a 15 ias jewel to hit 6 frames. With higher level fanaticism you get a little break on how good the grief roll needs to be - 37% ias greif z with level 24 fanaticism.

With a phase blade you hit 6 frames with any grief roll, and no IAS jewel, which is why people favor it - particularly since the base is thoroughly unimportant for grief, due to it adding to the damage of the base, rather than multiplying it like most runewords/items. Some people use grief z in PvP for the range, but in PvM it is all phase blade all the time.

So what you choose to socket is going to depend on whether you swap to a grief PB or not. If you don't need anything else (resists, IAS) then life is always a safe choice.